Author Topic: Trade week rumours and innuendo  (Read 47973 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trade week rumours and innuendo
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2009, 06:38:12 AM »
Carlton will also facilitate a trade for forward Brad Fisher, 25, who has another year of his contract to run at Princes Park.

The Blues are prepared to pay part of his 2010 remuneration to give him a better opportunity of playing regular senior football elsewhere.

St Kilda has already expressed interest in recruiting Fisher, with some interest also from Port Adelaide.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26055343-5013406,00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shaun Burgoyne to walk out on Port Adelaide for fresh start with Victorian club

While his imminent uncontracted status has attracted interest from Sydney, it is understood Burgoyne, subject to a medical clearance, intends to move to a Melbourne-based club where he has a familiarity with some of the players or staff.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson was an assistant coach at Port Adelaide in the club's premiership year of 2004, as was Melbourne coach Dean Bailey. New Richmond coach Damien Hardwick played alongside Burgoyne in that team.

Full report here:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26055557-5013406,00.html

Jackstar is back

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
Carlton will also facilitate a trade for forward Brad Fisher, 25, who has another year of his contract to run at Princes Park.

The Blues are prepared to pay part of his 2010 remuneration to give him a better opportunity of playing regular senior football elsewhere.

St Kilda has already expressed interest in recruiting Fisher, with some interest also from Port Adelaide.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26055343-5013406,00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shaun Burgoyne to walk out on Port Adelaide for fresh start with Victorian club

While his imminent uncontracted status has attracted interest from Sydney, it is understood Burgoyne, subject to a medical clearance, intends to move to a Melbourne-based club where he has a familiarity with some of the players or staff.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson was an assistant coach at Port Adelaide in the club's premiership year of 2004, as was Melbourne coach Dean Bailey. New Richmond coach Damien Hardwick played alongside Burgoyne in that team.

Full report here:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26055557-5013406,00.html

"'IF"" Shaun Burgoyne was available, would give up early pick for him.
Absolute GUN player

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
Why?  He's 26.  PSD or nothing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:14 PM »
The concern over Burgoyne is injury. If he's able to get right then yep as Jack said he is a gun. However at 26 he's too old for us as he'll be around 30 before we ever see finals again. The problem for us is if Burgoyne is on the open market then in comparison Tuck's trade value pales into significance :P. The only thing Tucky has on Burgoyne is like his dad his body is resilient and he doesn't miss games due to injury. Off the top of my head Tucky played every game under Plough and then Rawlings until infamously dropped.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »
Denham on SEN says that St. Kilda is still interested in McMahon and will talk to him after the finals.  :pray

Could the football gods be this kind. Surely not! We havent had this much luck in a long time, if the Saints take McMahon for a 2nd rounder- considering we coughed up a pick inside 20 and there 2nd round will be mid 30s- then it would be a fantastic bonus.

Their 2nd rounder will be very late. Seeing as we'll probably have to pay some of his wage, it'd be fair.

*sigh* trade pick 19 in a strong draft for this dud, then get pick 30 odd in a weak draft.... I hope these trading/drafting mistakes are over.
We wanted Scott Selwood if we hadn't traded that pick but the Dogs would still be doing cartwheels about that trade after gaining Ward for McMahon  :P.

If we are offered the Saints 2nd rounder (pick 33) for Jordie then we'll jump at it no doubt.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
Its hard not to get a little bit excited over the prospect of Shaun Burgoyne....Especially when you take into account he is younger than Newman,Tuck and Cogs.

At the end of the day I will trust Hardwicks judgement...being an ex team mate he will Know better than most whether Shaun is a good fit for our club.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
I'll be furious if we trade any picks for a 26 year old, no matter how good they are

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
I'll be furious if we trade any picks for a 26 year old, no matter how good they are

Agree.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
Will say this.
Burgoyne at his best is a fantastic player.
When analyzing opposition players, he is "'the "" player thats give you the most headaches.
Stop him, you usually stopped Port. ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shallow draft pool skews trade week (Australian)
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
Brock McLean and Aaron Davey also out of contract...

Shallow draft pool skews trade week
Greg Denham | September 12, 2009 | The Australian

FOR a variety of reasons the AFL's five-day annual player exchange period next month will not be the ho-hum experience it was last year.

Last year's trade week was a fizzer, with just six players changing teams.

With the league's 17th and 18th licences -- Gold Coast and western Sydney -- set to start up with the country's richest young talent over the next few years, last year's trade period resulted in not one club giving up a first-round national draft choice, something that has never happened before.

In fact, only one club, Carlton, gave up a second-round choice, and that was overall pick No 24 to Fremantle for ruckman Robbie Warnock. Five clubs -- Adelaide, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Melbourne and West Coast -- did nothing.

Less than 12 months on, the promise of excellence in last year's talent pool has been realised, with a majority of the first 35 players selected having proved themselves in their debut season.

The talent ran even deeper into the draft. Pick No 51, Neville Jetta, played 15 pretty good games for Melbourne.

Daniel Kerr, for example, had no hope of being traded out of West Coast because the Eagles demanded two quality first-round picks in return.

Because he was contracted, Kerr was in the wrong place in the wrong year.

Most of the six deals done in 2008 involved bit players -- Warnock, Anthony Corrie, Brent Prismall, Adam Thomson, Rhyce Shaw, and Farren Ray (who could become a premiership player with the Saints in a fortnight). That was the smallest number of deals on record.

It was a far cry from the previous year, when 17 trades involving 20 players were completed, highlighted by Chris Judd, who went from being West Coast's captain to Carlton's on-field leader. He was one of five premiership players to switch clubs.

Trades peaked in 2000, when 33 players switched clubs, and the dwindling number since then has sparked player union calls to hasten the introduction of free agency.

The main reason to expect trading to be more vigorous this year, including more high-calibre trades, is that this year's draft talent pool is shallow, according to recruiting managers.

That is because the draft age has been increased to 18 years. Over the past three years about 35 per cent of players drafted have been 17-year-olds.

Midfielder Tom Scully is the standout teenager this year.

About 12 others are likely to be drafted early, before a sizeable gap to youngsters of lesser ability.

The second tier is likely to include John Butcher, Anthony Morabito, Ben Cunnington, Gary Rohan, Koby Stevens, Jack Trengrove, Luke Tapscott, Dustin Martin, Jessie Chrichton, Kane Lucas, Jake Melksham, and 20-year-old Swan Districts player Lewis Jetta, who has been earmarked by West Coast.

Of the abovementioned, only Butcher is a true key-position player, so clubs needing a key-position player will have to trade or look at mature-age players from other competitions such as the VFL, WAFL and SANFL.

The top 13 or so players in this year's draft are regarded as safe picks, with most of the rest described as speculative.

Clubs that consider themselves in, or about to enter, a premiership window of opportunity over the next four years are less likely to speculate.

Instead, coaches will want to trade ready-made players, especially those with a specific need such as a key-position forward or defender.

That is why the first-round national draft selections of clubs such as Sydney (6), Port Adelaide (8), Hawthorn (9), Carlton (11), and possibly Collingwood and St Kilda, could all be put on the table to strike deals.

Another factor is that a number of clubs are far better placed financially and have room in their salary caps to lure quality players.

The Swans have for a long time tended to trade players for specific needs and they will no doubt do so again this year. Especially considering Sydney will have about $2 million to spare in its cap due to its high-profile player retirements.

Even poverty-stricken Melbourne could take advantage of its recent $1 million windfall from the new AFL agreement with the MCG Trust by boosting its young squad with a quality player from another club.

Cashed-up Hawthorn has a bucket of money to spend on recruiting players to fill certain needs. It has not taken kindly to its fall from grace -- first to ninth in 12 months -- and has feelers out for players.

Port Adelaide's Shaun Burgoyne could be on the move. Melbourne's Aaron Davey remains unsigned and out-of-contract teammate Brock McLean is understood to be tempted to move on.

After several years on a minimal wage, Western Bulldogs full-back Brian Lake is being courted by at least three clubs -- Sydney, Hawthorn and the Demons -- on long-term deals worth up to $500,000 a season.

Expect more high-profile players to come out of the woodwork over the next few weeks.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26060546-5012432,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

Agree.

Agree agree

I don't care how much of a gun he is at 26 he shouldn't be in our plans - if what we are currnetly about is "re-building"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »

Agree.

Agree agree

I don't care how much of a gun he is at 26 he shouldn't be in our plans - if what we are currnetly about is "re-building"

Hopefully Santa isn't the only person coming to Tigerland in December. :shh
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
Burgoyne with the PSD or nothing at all.  do not want to give away any picks this year.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
Burgoyne with the PSD or nothing at all.  do not want to give away any picks this year.

Id give up a fourth round pick but no serious picks.

Ramps

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2009, 12:44:50 PM »

Agree.

Agree agree

Hopefully Santa isn't the only person coming to Tigerland in December. :shh

rudolph and his mates will be coming as well  ;D