Author Topic: Where is the list at?  (Read 12984 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Where is the list at?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
So does that mean that every single CEO at AFL clubs needs to have AFL list management experience? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. There is a set amount of the TPP that we must pay and the average senior AFL player salary is around $250k per year. The contract McMahon received would have been one negotiated between the list manager of the time and McMahon's manager. Wright may sign the cheques, but he isn't the one making that decision.
I'm sorry but I've never heard of any CEO at any club interfering with football department decisions, they are business men.

CEOs aren't meant to be micro-managers, they can't be expected to negotiate every single salary at an entity the size of an AFL football cub. A good manager delegates and in this instance, the roles were delegated to people who were already at the club when Wright took over the position.

That may be true but i cant see one Benny Gale not getting involved if he was asked to sign that cheque over

I rank that as one of the worst decisions by the club in the last 30 years.

best decision the club has made in 30 years is hire Benny Gale. I personally hopwe he does get involved more than Wright. we need all the help we can get

Thanks Daniel, you answered Infamy question.
Infamy, why would I want to debate with idiots when all you do is abuse me. I told you all at the start of the year about Wallace and Co , :banghead

Ramps

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
I remember coming onto these boards and saying that the Richmond Board should VETO any move to get McMahon. I was lambasted on here. As usual some of us got it right again. Sadly this was another case. And to think we missed out on Selwood for McMahon  :banghead

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
So does that mean that every single CEO at AFL clubs needs to have AFL list management experience? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. There is a set amount of the TPP that we must pay and the average senior AFL player salary is around $250k per year. The contract McMahon received would have been one negotiated between the list manager of the time and McMahon's manager. Wright may sign the cheques, but he isn't the one making that decision.
I'm sorry but I've never heard of any CEO at any club interfering with football department decisions, they are business men.

CEOs aren't meant to be micro-managers, they can't be expected to negotiate every single salary at an entity the size of an AFL football cub. A good manager delegates and in this instance, the roles were delegated to people who were already at the club when Wright took over the position.

That may be true but i cant see one Benny Gale not getting involved if he was asked to sign that cheque over

best decision the club has made in 30 years is hire Benny Gale. I personally hopwe he does get involved more than Wright. we need all the help we can get
Look I agree 100% that the Sanchez trade was by far the worst player trade this club has done in probably over a decade, one of the all time howlers, I also never wanted it to happen, but blame Wallace & Miller, not Wright.

I'm sorry but I disagree about Gale interferring too. If the CEO feels that he needs to interfere then it just highlights that the people he has in charge of that department aren't the right people. The board and president should be the ones who control the football department, leave the CEO to run the business side of the club. If you have it any other way then you always need the best football person to be the CEO, not the best businessman.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »

Look I agree 100% that the Sanchez trade was by far the worst player trade this club has done in probably over a decade, one of the all time howlers, I also never wanted it to happen, but blame Wallace & Miller, not Wright.

I'm sorry but I disagree about Gale interferring too. If the CEO feels that he needs to interfere then it just highlights that the people he has in charge of that department aren't the right people. The board and president should be the ones who control the football department, leave the CEO to run the business side of the club. If you have it any other way then you always need the best football person to be the CEO, not the best businessman.

Not even going to bother

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
I am trying to stay positive about the list, we just need someone to get the best from it week in, week out.

St. Kilda gave me hope last week, the 7-8 guys missing last week would get a game in any team, they brought in a lot of inexperienced players, but because they have been coached well, they slot straight in and get a win over the Hawks. They had 115 tackles for the game!!

Any dud can tackle (McMahon excluded).  
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »

Not even going to bother
Translates to "I've got nothing"

Jackstar is back

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »

Not even going to bother

LOl. why try and explain to a nuffer what the problems at Punt Rd are ?
We you beleive that everyone is doing a great job down there.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
I am trying to stay positive about the list, we just need someone to get the best from it week in, week out.

St. Kilda gave me hope last week, the 7-8 guys missing last week would get a game in any team, they brought in a lot of inexperienced players, but because they have been coached well, they slot straight in and get a win over the Hawks. They had 115 tackles for the game!!

Any dud can tackle (McMahon excluded). 

let me ask you this wayne.

if Malthouse, Lethal or Rocket  were the coach do you think players would still refuse to lay tackles, block and shepherd for each other. I dont think so..

you know whats sad i only cuz shepherd today on the members win, in fact he is the only i see it do week in week out

we have had too many soft coc.ks run this club now time for a coach with gonads that these pussy's are scared of
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »

Not even going to bother

I realise that there are problems at punt road
A CEO who doesn't interfere with the football department but pulls in regular million dollar profits is not one of them
I know you like to find your target and just rip in to them until they go, not sure how Wright got on your agenda, perhaps cause theres not many others left to target. Regardless, Wright is only stepping aside due to his health and is remaining on at the RFC in a consultency role.

You are a bigger problem to the RFC than Wright ever will be

Jackstar is back

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »

Not even going to bother

A CEO who doesn't interfere with the football department but pulls in regular million dollar profits is not one of them
I know you like to find your target and just rip in to them until they go, not sure how Wright got on your agenda, perhaps cause theres not many others left to target. Regardless, Wright is only stepping aside due to his health and is remaining on at the RFC in a consultency role.

Is that right :lol
Could say something but wont ;)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
need to be 10 changes to primary list and 6 new rookies...with a new coach and asst...new ceo and seemingly new prez...thats what I call a new era :pray
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »

Not even going to bother

Never stopped you before, in fact I didn't know anything could

Jackstar is back

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:01 PM »

Not even going to bother

Never stopped you before, in fact I didn't know anything could

;) Am just watching the replay on Foxtel, and you think people at this club are doing a good job :lol :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
need to be 10 changes to primary list and 6 new rookies
Yep we need to cut hard.

Buckley mentioned this on the radio after the game. You need to swing the broom hard and turnover the list quickly to inact real change. Malthouse got rid of 12 when he arrived, then 10 the following year and about 8 the next. So in 2 years 75% of the list had been turned over. Bomber Thomson did something similar at Geelong. It's going to be harder to make cuts with the new teams hogging the early picks for 3 years but still if you finish bottom 2 of the ladder you'll still get a top 6 pick. If March and Cameron think we only have 12 potential premiership players on our list then there's no excuse not to follow the same path of cutting hard and quickly under the new coach now, 2010 and 2011.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 12:21:22 AM »
Some players on this list are sh1te. I have mentioned them before.
Some players are okay. I have mentioned them before.

Some players do not deserve to play AFL footy anywhere yet they find their way to Punt Rd. We all know who they are.

I think the list assessment in the first couple of posts on this thread have been very good.

Despite all this I feel that those that remain given an environment of nurturement and discipline can be a competitive outfit.

Unfortunantely the way things have gone since half time in the 1982 GF the last point I have mentioned may come back to haunt me.

Richmond need a priest to exorcise all the demons down there.
A psycho analyst to perform hypnosis to get into the remaining players minds that they can succeed at this club. Possibly utilize Tambling's hypnitist.
A coach with balls who will rule with an iron fist.
The clubs problem are not inherent only to a underperforming playing list.
Off field stability and quality of personnel count too.
Without Cuz this year we would have made a couple of hundred thousand and that's it not 2 million or so. What are we going to do next year? Maybe the right coaching appointment might help us get some new members at the expense of some who will drop off having had enough. What of 2011 if we finish 6-16 next year give or take a few games. Back to 30000 members again and 1 token finals appearance a decade?

This clubs problems are more than skin deep and if we can't get the off field right then the on field will never have any consistency about it and we will struggle 90% of the time in the bottom half of the ladder. List assessments although good and accurate only reflect a small % of the club in total as a whole. When we are looking to offload our garbage to someone else or delist at least 30% of our list then that is a poor reflection of those who have been in charge.

Change needs to happen on and off the field before we go down the path like Fitzroy and end up merging with some interstate club or relocating to Tassie or Canberra or poo Creek in the next 10-20 years. Does noone have any pride or shame at Punt Rd???
On and off the field. That's the question I want to ask.