Author Topic: Hardwick named Tigers coach  (Read 10818 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Hardwick named Tigers coach / official announcement at 10.30am Wed
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »
Confirmed , 3 year deal :thumbsup
Happy with the appointment?

Well no , untried coach, should be 2 years.  They could always revisit after 18 months into contract for an extension. If the coach is doing a good job, he wouldnt want to leave anyway

Ramps

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »
Confirmed , 3 year deal :thumbsup
Happy with the appointment?

Well no , untried coach, should be 2 years.  They could always revisit after 18 months into contract for an extension. If the coach is doing a good job, he wouldnt want to leave anyway

Needs to cut 20 to 22 players over the next 2 years ... so he will need 3. Personally I think he should have been offered 2 years + 1 year option (club)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 12:26:42 AM »
Perhaps they went for 3 years to match North's offer so they didn't poach our candidates. Didn't the Roos offer Scott a 3 year deal?

At least it's not 5 years again :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers hand their reins to Damien Hardwick (Australian)
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:49 AM »
Richmond Tigers hand their reins to Damien Hardwick
Greg Denham | August 26, 2009 

THE AFL's coaching merry-go-round will finally be settled today when Richmond announces Damien Hardwick as its new senior coach.

It is believed Hardwick will be appointed for three years.

The announcement will finalise all club coaching positions beyond this year after seven clubs started the season with experienced coaches who were coming off contract this year.

Runner-up for the Richmond coaching job, Geelong assistant Ken Hinkley, was told of his fate by the Tigers last night.

After an extensive search that took more than a month, Richmond chose the Hawthorn assistant, who played in premierships with Essendon and Port Adelaide.

Richmond president Gary March, who has been overseas on business for two days, arrives back in Melbourne today, and will make Hardwick's appointment public at a press conference.

Hardwick, who turned 37 last week, faces one of the toughest gigs in the competition at one of the league's worst-performed clubs in recent years.

Richmond has not played in finals since making a preliminary final in 2001, and has played in just three finals series since its most recent premiership in 1980 - its 10th since joining the AFL in 1908.

Over the past five years, including 4 1/2 under previous full-time coach Terry Wallace, the Tigers have won just 40 of 109 games.

Richmond is 15th with five wins this season and will be eligible for the third selection in the national draft. When the Richmond board met the final two candidates last Sunday, it was the fourth time Hardwick had won his way down to the final two, having missed the senior job at Essendon, which appointed Matthew Knights, and Melbourne (Dean Bailey) almost two years ago, before being pipped by Brad Scott at North Melbourne last week.

Despite conjecture during the season, especially at Port Adelaide and West Coast, five current coaches were re-signed, including premiership coaches Mark Williams by the Power, and John Worsfold by the Eagles, both for two more years.

Geelong extended the coaching contract of Mark Thompson, as did Collingwood with Mick Malthouse and the Western Bulldogs with Rodney Eade.

North Melbourne last week replaced Dean Laidley with Scott on a three-year term.

The Richmond interview process started with 11 assistant coaches, which was narrowed to four this month.

Essendon assistant Alan Richardson, who had support from several of the Richmond sub-committee to appoint the new coach, missed out on a final interview, as did caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, who despite being contracted at Punt Road next year, will not know his fate after this weekend until he meets Hardwick.

Richmond did not interview four-time premiership coach Kevin Sheedy, who originally wanted the job before controversially withdrawing, nor did the Tigers interview Nathan Buckley following several early discussions. Buckley chose to stick with Collingwood and agreed to a plan to succeed Mick Malthouse at the end of 2011.

Laidley withdrew his interest in Richmond last Sunday week even though the Tigers were willing to include him in their comprehensive interview process.

However, he may revisit discussions with Hawthorn over a coaching role, as the Hawks will be one short due to Hardwick's departure after five years under coach Alastair Clarkson.

Hardwick was the first candidate to have his second interview, while Hinkley was the last to present, last Thursday night.

After Hinkley's interview, the Tigers' eight-man coaching panel slept on their decisions before voting on Friday.

During the second interview stage with the four candidates, Richmond's panel consisted of general manager of football operations Craig Cameron, club psychologist Jeff Bond, former players Greg Stafford and Emmett Dunne, March and directors Tony Free, Rob Dalton and Don Lord.

New chief executive Brendon Gale, who started on Monday, was an observer at all four interviews, and was present on Sunday when Hardwick and Hinkley presented to the board.

Hardwick's preference last week was to win the Richmond position over a role offered to him by Port Adelaide, which presented him with a succession plan to replace long-standing coach Williams.

The Power interviewed the 2004 premiership player two weeks ago about its proposition, but made its offer more attractive last week at a presentation in front of president Brett Duncanson, chief executive Mark Haysman and general manager of football operations Peter Rohde.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25981830-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers punt on Hardwick (Age)
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
Tigers punt on Hardwick
Caroline Wilson | August 26, 2009

RICHMOND has turned to an uncompromising 37-year-old former defender and Kevin Sheedy protege in a bid to redefine itself and rebuild the AFL's least successful club.

Damien Hardwick learnt last night he had beaten Geelong's highly-rated assistant coach Ken Hinkley to a three-year contract with the Tigers in a deal to be announced at Punt Road early today.

The Tigers' exhaustive process, which began in early July and was completed with Hardwick's and Hinkley's final presentations three days ago, unearthed the early favourite who was also interviewed in recent weeks by North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

The Hawks, attempting a final roll-of-the-dice against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday in a bid to make the finals, are expected to farewell Hardwick today, with the club's blessing.

Hardwick's assistant in overseeing the Hawks backline, Rick Macgowan, will take over his duties for the remainder of the season.

Although Richmond refused to comment on the appointment last night, Hardwick and Hinkley were told of their coaching fates shortly after 6pm ,with Hinkley reportedly disappointed but philosophical at losing out to the former Essendon and Port Adelaide premiership player, who has been regarded as one of the AFL's most impressive assistant coaches in recent years.

The Hardwick appointment is the final piece of the coaching jigsaw, which saw seven coaches coming out of contract at the end of the 2009 season. His move to Richmond has left Port Adelaide still searching for a successor to Mark Williams in two years' time. Hardwick had been unofficially offered a five-year deal with the troubled Port - the first two seasons as an assistant to Williams before succeeding him in 2012.

Tigers president Gary March was scheduled to arrive back in Melbourne early today from a business trip, with Hardwick to be officially announced as the coach at 10am.

While the Tigers board reached a decision on Sunday, it is understood various contractual details were being sorted and the club was keen to wait until March's return, and after the funeral of Kayne Pettifer's father, to announce their new coach who will now begin the massive task of rebuilding the club's underperforming list.

Jade Rawlings will coach his final game against West Coast on Friday night and, while contracted, appears unlikely to remain next season.

Hardwick played 153 games over eight years with Essendon, winning the Bombers' best and fairest in 1998 and winning All-Australian selection in the club's last premiership year, 2000.

Traded at the end of 2001 to Port Adelaide largely due to salary-cap restrictions at Windy Hill, the disappointed defender went on to achieve his 200th game in his last season at Alberton and also his second flag - Port Adelaide's first in the AFL.

An assistant coach at both Port and more recently Hawthorn, Hardwick was in line for the Essendon and Melbourne positions two years ago, narrowly missing out to Matthew Knights in the Bombers' final selection due to a poor presentation to the board.

While club chief executive Peter Jackson said the former Bomber's presentation was hurt by poor preparation and a computer malfunction, Hardwick was seen as less flexible when questioned by the board regarding his attitude to various playing groups within the club, including indigenous footballers.

Although he was seen to have lost out to Brad Scott last week for the North coaching job, the Kangaroos did not thoroughly examine Hardwick's candidature in the belief he was less hungry for the position.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-punt-on-hardwick/2009/08/25/1251001901711.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 02:43:01 AM »
Forgive the dodgy photoshop job .....

We might need a different coaches sponsor now too lol

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
DAMIEN Hardwick has arrived at Punt Rd
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
DAMIEN Hardwick has arrived at Punt Rd ahead of today's announcement that he is the new Richmond coach. The Essendon and Port Adelaide premiership player arrived at the Tigers' training facility at 9.15 this morning.

He will be officially appointed coach at a 10.30am press conference. Follow it live at SuperFooty.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25981494-19742,00.html
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
Just a coach people - Find it a bit hard to get excited about myself. "Seems" like a goodish pick .... here's hoping - Good luck to the man he's gunna need it, just like we do for once!  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: DAMIEN Hardwick has arrived at Punt Rd
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
DAMIEN Hardwick has arrived at Punt Rd ahead of today's announcement that he is the new Richmond coach. The Essendon and Port Adelaide premiership player arrived at the Tigers' training facility at 9.15 this morning.

He will be officially appointed coach at a 10.30am press conference. Follow it live at SuperFooty.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25981494-19742,00.html
A bit too much Elvis has entered the building hype from the Herald-Sun  :P. Anything at the RFC is always massive for the media.

FooffooValve

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
Good start, straight to the point but holding back where necessary. Making all the right noises.

Welcome Dimmer!  :)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
Just finished Spoke stupidly well.

- Very excited wants to start right away.

- His jumper is now 100% Richmond and he'll never let it hit the floor

- Seemed to get on really well with March, Gale and Cameron

- Said right now he's the worst coach he'll ever be, he'll continue to learn and get better

Really impressed with him
Go Tigers!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
Never ever heard the man speak before and I must say he was very impressive.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »
I did a summary as well ...

March...

* Please to announce Damien Hardwick as coach of the RFC for 3 years.

* Like to consider the Process as thorough rather than exhaustive

* Damien has outstanding leadership qualities. Experienced successful cultures at 3 clubs which was very improitant to us. Teaching and  coaching style was impressive. A great student of the game and other codes, gamestyles. From the very first interview he had a great desire to coach Richmond which was important to us.

* A great new structure at the club - Gale as CEO, Cameron as Football manager, Hardwick as senior coach.

* The new facilities have finally started being built and we've got a new structure in place but we're still aware there's a lot of work

Cameron

* Damien's innovation stood out. Hinkley will make an outstanding coach as well. Doesn't was to denegrate other candidates.

Hardwick

* Starting ASAP. Can't wait to get my teeth into it.

* Every club he's gone to has a great team first culture. It's something he strongly believes in. Easy to say but not easy to live. Believes he has the blueprint to win Richmond's 11th premiership.

* He's had many kicks in the backside along the way. But hardwork gets to where you want he believes.

* Want to give the players every opportunity to be better players - both on and off-field. If he can improve the list 10% every year we'll get to where we want to very quickly.

* List - will take a little time. Sit down with Gale and Craig.

* Staff/List - check their principles and see if they fit his. Looking from outside I'm not sure they all do. If they do want the best and have good principles then they stay.

* Awesome big 4 club.

* Port - has discussions but just rapt to be at Richmond now. Wanted to coach now.

* Not interested in the past. We have the best culture in the AFL until he sees otherwise.

* Motto - Go the hard ball when it's your turn. Players have to find it in themselves. if they're not competitive they'll soon find themselves out the door.

* Coached by his old man at Tecoma. Never got a B&F vote. Went to North under Pagan but got delisted. Went to Springvale and got his jaw broken in his first game. Brought across to Essendon and the rest is history.

* Wants to start a process to win our 11th premiership.

* Supporters - As long as we show them a plan then he's sure they'll be happy to come along for the ride.

* it's not about Damien Hardwick. It's about Richmond and achieving that 11th flag. If I'm apart of it then great if not then at least I want to be apart of starting that process.

* Got the call at 5pm. Saw the number first and thought it was the media so didn't answer it lol. First response was bloody bewdy.

* Cousins - Wasn't sure at first until he saw Cuz play against Hawthorn before Buddy ironed him out. A very good player for this club.

* Has a lot time for Clarkson. Could see me as a coach before even I could. Chris limpan and ? as well.

* People themselves make the footy clubs. So I'm a Richmond person now. I see the jumper and it's Richmond.

* Can't wait to get started. Excited.

* Had a huge desire to coach his own club. The day I stop learning I stop coaching. I want to perfect my craft. Day 1 will be the worst I am as coach. A lot of good people like Brendan, Craig around me.

* Assistants - no point having them if you don't have the greatest faith in them. Something I learnt from Clarkson.

bushranger

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
I think our players will be scared in what he (Harwick) will put them through.
I like what has just happened and think it was the right move.
But I thought that to when we got Wallace.  :gotigers

Ramps

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
Good start, straight to the point but holding back where necessary. Making all the right noises.

Welcome Dimmer!  :)

Great start.

You can tell hes doing the groundwork before he pulls out the axe and swings it. Seems a very switched on operator. Good start I reckon.