Author Topic: Collingwood game a big test for Richmond, not the other way around: Blight (SEN)  (Read 4227 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood game a big test for Richmond, not the other way around

By SEN
26 April 2018

Premiership coach Malcolm Blight has made the claim that if the Grand Final was this weekend, Richmond and Collingwood would be the sides playing off.

The Pies have won three games in a row and will now face the Tigers on Sunday afternoon and Blight sees this as a game that will shape the season.

“I think if the Grand Final was now, Richmond would play Collingwood on form,” Blight told SEN’s Whateley.

“Richmond, their four wins this season have come against Carlton, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Melbourne so Richmond this week I think from what my eyes have seen, this is Richmond’s test because Collingwood is flying.

“So this is the most fascinating game of the round and we have a really good round coming up, there’s five unbelievable games.

“Are Richmond going as well as what we think and are Collingwood better than what we’ve thought, it’s a fascinating game Sunday.”

Blight said he’s been won over by Nathan Buckley’s coaching and loves the pace of the side he’s put together in the last few weeks.

“The Collingwood team at the moment with that slick handball and the pace they’ve got, it’s crept up on you,” he said.

“I think we’ve all queried Nathan Buckley at some stage about when they’re going to make the eight again, well write these names down, Sidebottom, De Goey, Stephenson’s brand new, Treloar, Varcoe and Murray, they are the quickest blokes in the league I reckon.

“Nathan Buckley I believe has changed his coaching and I believe he did it after his first two games.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/25/collingwood-game-a-big-test-for-richmond-not-the-other-way-around/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Still bitter about the Crows' GF loss, eh Blighty?  :wallywink

So it's a bigger test for the reigning premiers on top of the ladder than a side that has done sweet all and regularly failed to make finals under Buckley's long tenure  :stupid. Plus we at Richmond don't have one of the quickest sides :stupid. Have you seen us play at all, Blighty? :huh3.

Must be something in Adelaide's water  :whistle :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
I agree it will be a test for us and firmly believe that if we are successful on Sunday a very strong message will be sent to other clubs in this league regarding our intentions of going back to back.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
That interview with Blight was just after an excellent interview with Geelong coach Chris Scott who said he thought that obviously Collingwood has modelled their game style on the Richmond style.
And still thinks we are the bench mark in terms of defensive structure, pressure and offensive running.

If we stay the coarse and play our style we should win easily.

I think Blight still remembers the easy beats we were when he coached Geelong with Gary senior easily kicking bags of goals against us every time we played them.  I don’t think he can accept that we are the real deal and easily accounted for his overrated Adelaide team. Or he still remembers all the abuse he used to get from the cheer squad whenever we played North Melbourne.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
We've had plenty of these games in the past, but we were in Collingwoods position. We had won a few in a row, coming up against a gun side.... and we have been spanked badly.

Let's hope we can do the same to the Pies. Brush them away like the pretenders they are.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
That interview with Blight was just after an excellent interview with Geelong coach Chris Scott who said he thought that obviously Collingwood has modelled their game style on the Richmond style.
And still thinks we are the bench mark in terms of defensive structure, pressure and offensive running.

If we stay the coarse and play our style we should win easily.

I think Blight still remembers the easy beats we were when he coached Geelong with Gary senior easily kicking bags of goals against us every time we played them.  I don’t think he can accept that we are the real deal and easily accounted for his overrated Adelaide team. Or he still remembers all the abuse he used to get from the cheer squad whenever we played North Melbourne.

Truth to tell I am still struggling with this and a part of me still expects the bad old RFC to show up one day

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
Buckley finally conceded his brand was non competitive and has become a copycat, they don't have the small forwards we have to keep the ball in their forward half so they're attacking from defence more often.  If he denies copying our brand then hes a fool, the turnaround has coincided with his willingness to concede

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
It will be a good test for us,but please Blight the has been saying a test for the tigers.Blight was with the Suns as a ambassador role in football department quickly ran away.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
It will be a good test for us,but please Blight the has been saying a test for the tigers.Blight was with the Suns as a ambassador role in football department quickly ran away.
?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
It seems every week is now "a test for the Tigers", i guess as reigning premiers its something we all have to get used to.

dwaino

Pies looked good the last couple weeks but this will be the first time they face real pressure and a real backline.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Collingwood have 1 good win - played and lost to Hawks and GWS. Beat Blues, Bombers with the one good win over crows
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
To be fair to Blight, Collingwood, by their own standards, are in good form. It is a test for our game style because Colllingwood will attemot to bring an intensity that we probably haven't seen yet.

I think it will be a cracking game, and a good game for our boys to sharpen up their own form.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can play much better than we have been, yet we are 4-1. Great signs.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's see if pies game can stack up with ours that's the question. There not going to have bruise free footy like against dons with no pressure or intensity.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Let's see if pies game can stack up with ours that's the question. There not going to have bruise free footy like against dons with no pressure or intensity.
This!

Good luck to them trying for 4 quarters to handball their way through our press of speedy smalls that apply enormous pressure and get numbers to the contest to feed on any errant disposals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd