Author Topic: Trent Cotchin RFC Captain  (Read 2974 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Trent Cotchin RFC Captain
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
First off I'm a Newman fan, I was one of his biggest fans before he was captain and thought he was the best choice for the role when it became vacant. Played with heart, put his body on the line and was our most reliable kick of the ball out of the backline.

I was at the race when they ran out last night and saw how all players went about the warm up and how they ran onto the ground up close and personal.

I've listened to KB and the likes talk about how ridiculous it is for Trent to be in the leadership group.

We all saw the game and how all players played and carried themselves.

Weighing all of this up the sooner Trent is our clubs captain the better (If he wants it).

This is an example why:
Our local cricket side out in the far east had not won a Division 1 premiership since 1934 and were sitting in Division 2 with very few finals appearances. We would throw money at past district players to come and play, who would always fail and never brought us success. Our junior program went through a very fortunate dynasty in the late 90's early 2000's thanks to the success of the Australian cricket team and junior cricket participation was high and our Senior list grew that way. This brought through about 30 young players over the space of the last decade to develop. All talented enough and developed accordingly very well.

In the 2000's we missed out just to make the finals the 3 seasons in a row, with the addition of these new younger guys along with our older core group of experienced players. 2 years ago our great club captain of 20 years retired along with 2 other long serving players that were hanging around trying to get the club into Division 1, as a result our list now looked extremely raw with no-one experienced to lead them. We were tipped to be playing Division 3 by the following season.

A 19 year old kid came to the executive committee in April 2008 and put his hand up saying he wanted to captain the club and lead us into Division 1, and that he will defer his Uni course to do so. This was as kid who has played 1 season of Senior 1sts. It wasn't decided he would captain for sometime and was eventually appointed, only after we failed to sign an experienced player do lead the club, so as a Plan B we went with the young man.

Cut the story short, our senior side with an average age of 21, our captain of 19 years old; a fresh young leader that all players related to socially, personally and professionally, the club had the competitions first ever undefeated season and went on to win the Division 2 premiership.

The club was in Division 1 for the first time since the 1980's and the fairy tale continued somewhat with the same side making the Grand Final in Division 1 only to lose with 4 overs to spare. Coming from a club that was all but finished and washed away to Division 3 we made a Division 1 GF in the space of 24 months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this relevant to RFC? Trent Cotchin?

I can promise you the reason why it was turned around was the combination of the following:
- Fresh leadership that 100% of the playing group related to and respected and admired.
- Further developed committed youngsters that had nothing to lose.

This is relevant because, as much as I'll defend Chris Newman on most occasions IMO Trent needs to be captain. Not because he's the most promising player but they way he handles himself on field and by all accounts off field, Trent's leadership is part of the clubs transformation.

Its the little things, when the boys ran out Trent was 3rd out of the race, he turned around and made an effort to tap every single RFC player on the shoulder as they ran out after him. He's also not a downhill skier.

As the most pro-Newman poster on here (most likely) I have never been so confident that the sooner Cotchin is our captain the better our clubs transformation will be. I'm not comfortable with dropping a captain mid season, I'm a little bit disappointed we'll have to wait till next year at the soonest but for mine it must happen.

Sorry for the enormous post but it has some significance and comparisons to where we are at. :gotigers

P.S Sorry Chris.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

Re: Trent Cotchin RFC Captain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
My daughter ( 7 years old ) said to me after the game, Dad, did Chris Newman play tonight ??
Say no more.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
It kills me to say that Newman isn't the man for the job. But thats coming from a Pro-Newman man. Hate to think what everyone else thinks lol.

KB said young leadership is laughable etc. With so much young talent coming through I think they'd relate and look up to a guy like Trent Cotchin alot more than guys like Newman/Johnson/Cambell etc who are captain in the late 20s and have had very very little success as captains.

Let the Leadership/Captain transform with the group.
Go Tigers!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »
No player deserves to be Captain at our club at the moment, when someone puts their hand up on field then fair enough but for now I might as well be Captain that is how much leadership is being shown on field.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »
great post popelord and I agree with where you are coming from. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and go the whole shebang - the cultural change needs to be complete. Newman comes from an era of selfish save your own behind first culture that has dogged this club since the mid 90's, not saying he does it on purpose it simply becomes ingrained on a subconcious level after a period of time, its obvious in his conditioning, (not truly afl fit, can't run the lines, won't take risks with his beautiful left foot 60 metre passes down the ground), all this is now ingrained into his gameday psyche. We now have more young blokes than the older "earn your stripes before you can speak" type blokes  ::) we've had at the club, so give it to one who can relate to the new breed trying to stamp their own culture on the club - T.Cotchin with J.Reiwoldt his (vc) are the perfect candidates and the only 2 at this stage who really stand out

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
My daughter ( 7 years old ) said to me after the game, Dad, did Chris Newman play tonight ??
Say no more.

Newman decision making is terrible
is that lad on something cause he has been strange

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
Tuck should have been made captain
Hails from a football family with great credentials,  you cant get any better football advice from people like his Father & Uncles
Consistant footballer over many seasons & always rated well in the B&F
Gives 100% & is always a tryer
Would take the preasure of players who can receive the captaincy in years to come

Make players earn the right to be captain

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Hails from a football family with great credentials,  you cant get any better football advice from people like his Father & Uncles
Would take the preasure of players who can receive the captaincy in years to come

now your just taking the pee monky  ;D

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
No player deserves to be Captain at our club at the moment, when someone puts their hand up on field then fair enough but for now I might as well be Captain that is how much leadership is being shown on field.

Jackson deserves it.  Very smart guy, and gives his all each and every week.  Did you see him trying to fight off the medical staff to keep playing with a concussion?  That's the kind of stuff that inspires the kids.

Hails from a football family with great credentials,  you cant get any better football advice from people like his Father & Uncles

Tuck may be a trier, but he's a few cards short of a deck.  Not captain material.

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

now your just taking the pee monky  ;D

;D

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »
Jackson and Tuck both can't kick. You can't have a captain that can't kick better than a 50% success rate.

"Do as I do, not as I say"

Come in Trent.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
Jackson kick in the 2nd quarter sums up his career. tries hard , aint good enough.
We need match winners , not duds

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »

That's funny.

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
Jackson kick in the 2nd quarter sums up his career. tries hard , aint good enough.
We need match winners , not duds
I'd go as far to say that we just need good players. Forget about matchwinners. Even the best sides onlyt have one or two genuine matchwinners.
Flogs like Jackson just need to elevate themselves to 'good' status for us to be better. At the moment, I would rate him as 'borderline'.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Ox

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »
Newman dont have what it takes.
All he has is a long kick.
Put a loser in charge and u lose.

None of these bunnies can stand up when it's tuff.
Add lids and u have a recipe that compels me to kick the stuff out of both of them
 :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead