Author Topic: Future Father-Sons  (Read 16377 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Future Father-Sons
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
I suppose at 16 or 17 he still might have a bit of growing but I believe being a back pocket player and at under 175cm he wouldn't go to the later rounds anyway.

Jake King is listed at 174cm and Foley at 177cm in comparison terms.

If he is a gun hopefully he can tone it down a bit and we can pick him up cheap and then he can burn it up.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
He'll need electrifying pace and skills to make it in the AFL at that height. Fort Caruso gunned it at TAC cup level but was overlooked at the draft. I could see Free jnr slipping to our last pick at the very least as F/S because he's only 174cm.

When will he be eliable for the draft?
Next year Stripes.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
What a bugger with these new father/son rules.

Geelong got to clean up on them with 3rd rounders.

Now if Free is a gun, we have to use our first rounder on him.

The only way we get a steal is if he is a clear number 1 pick and we have pick 12-16.

with the bidding process now in place, I would think we would nominate a R3 or 4 pick...would be highly unlikely that we would be forced to counter a R1 or 2 selection on a pint size champ
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »

The only way we get a steal is if he is a clear number 1 pick and we have pick 12-16.

with the bidding process now in place, I would think we would nominate a R3 or 4 pick...would be highly unlikely that we would be forced to counter a R1 or 2 selection on a pint size champ
We would only have to match the highest bid if another club bids first. If no one bids for him then we would be able to pick him up under the F/S rule with our last pick in the draft whatever that is. IIRC the Pies and Cats respectively selected Jaxson Barham and Donovan with their last pick in the 90s last year.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

Without even knowing, my gut feel is that this kid is not going to work out. No logic just a gut feel.

We would only have to match the highest bid if another club bids first. If no one bids for him then we would be able to pick him up under the F/S rule with our last pick in the draft whatever that is. IIRC the Pies and Cats respectively selected Jaxson Barham and Donovan with their last pick in the 90s last year.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Freezer's son is very competitive but he's small and he apparently isn't overtly quick  :-\. So not much on the F/S horizon for us. Compare that to the Bulldogs who have SIX father-sons coming up in the next few years and all are playing for their state at junior levels. Lucky them  :P.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
With the shafting thats about to occur in the draft with GC coming in and the change in the draft age, father-son selections are worth their weight in gold.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »
Josh Free was B.O.G. today for North Ballarat Rebels in their win over Bendigo.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »

hopefully he flies under the radar a bit more later on in the season.  we would want to get him cheaply with F&S

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »

hopefully he flies under the radar a bit more later on in the season.  we would want to get him cheaply with F&S
Freezer jnr is small (height and weight) and isn't overty quick so he'll probably be available late in the draft.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »

Freezer jnr is small (height and weight) and isn't overty quick so he'll probably be available late in the draft.

must be quicker than a few though MT, the kid is rarely out of the best players , that always tells me me something about the callibre of a player v his peers :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »

must be quicker than a few though MT, the kid is rarely out of the best players , that always tells me me something about the callibre of a player v his peers :clapping
That's true bj but I was talking more from how he would go at AFL level. A bit like Fort Caruso. A gun at U18 level but too small and not lightning quick to make it at AFL level. When a youngster is that small then unless they have blitzering pace both offensively and defensively like a Rioli or the Davey brothers then recruiters will go cold on the kid.

Ramps

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »
Id still be taking him, we dont have a small defender who can shut down small forwards- thats why Josh Free should be drafted- there comes a time when you just have to pick this type of player to play a specific role.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »
Id still be taking him, we dont have a small defender who can shut down small forwards- thats why Josh Free should be drafted- there comes a time when you just have to pick this type of player to play a specific role.

and you make that judgement on seeing him play, how many times?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
Josh Free was B.O.G. today for North Ballarat Rebels in their 98-point flogging of the Sandringham Dragons.