Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 180515 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
A few pro hampson supporters have been quiet lately. Very very quiet  ;)
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: March 07, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Two pro hampson supporters have been quiet lately. Very very quiet  ;)
EFA

Ruanaidh

« Reply #242 on: March 07, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
A cult figure in the Maric mould.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
Like Maric when he first arrived, love the hunger and aggression.

Yet is significantly younger than Maric was. A young ruck vs a ruck in his prime :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2017, 01:32:06 AM »
Toby Nankervis trade, SuperCoach, Richmond impact, Sydney impact

March 7, 2017
Riley Beveridge
FOX SPORTS

DURING a trade period that took the footy world by surprise, a deal taking inexperienced ruckman Toby Nankervis from Sydney to Richmond barely raised an eyebrow.

Yet on the eve of Round 1, the 22-year-old’s move to Punt Road looks as though it could have an immediate impact on both the Swans and the Tigers.

Having impressed Richmond officials on the track throughout the summer, Nankervis has continued such form into the side’s opening JLT Community Series matches.

With 15 disposals, 22 hit-outs, five tackles and a goal against Port Adelaide on Sunday, the 199cm big man was one of Richmond’s standout performers. It backed up a promising debut for the club against Adelaide the week prior.

Edging ahead of veteran Ivan Maric and the injured Shaun Hampson, the 12-gamer now looms as a likely starter in Richmond’s season-opening clash against Carlton in a fortnight’s time.

“Nankervis is going to be as good as they could have hoped for,” Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton told SEN on Monday night.

“He’s long and he’s a genuinely big size for a ruckman. The old days of someone coming in and saying ‘I’m 6ft 6in’, that’s the starting price now for a ruckman. You have to be bigger than that if you want to outreach someone at the centre square.

“He’s genuinely big with long limbs. I reckon he’s going to be a big acquisition for them.

“But the other thing I noticed is that, of all of their players who restrict the opposition and tackle, his average for tackles per game is better than anyone existing at Richmond already.”

Nankervis’ physicality has been a highlight of his short career so far, with the big man registering an average of 4.7 tackles per game throughout his time at Sydney.

According to Champion Data, he ranked third for all ruckmen for tackles last season, while his hitout-to-advantage rating of 38 per cent was the best in the competition.

His tackling received a further endorsement from Richmond assistant coach Andrew McQualter last month, who commented that Nankervis had “nearly put a couple of our players in hospital” throughout pre-season.

Such an ability to pressure the ball-carrier has also impressed head coach Damien Hardwick, who lauded Nankervis’ potential to improve at Punt Road.

“He’s been very good — he had the leading pressure points in the game and he had five or six tackles as well,” Hardwick said after last weekend’s match.

“He’s a presence down the line, so he’s been a really good pick-up and our list management guys have done a terrific job in getting him across.

“He’s only going to get better as a player, he’s only 22, so it’s really exciting for us.”

But it’s not only at Richmond where the trade taking Nankervis to the Tigers in exchange for Pick 46 is having an impact.

Sydney, gearing up for a Round 1 outing against Port Adelaide, has dealt with somewhat of a ruck shortage in the lead-up to the year ahead.

The side’s premier big men in the wake of Nankervis’ departure — Sam Naismith and Callum Sinclair — have had limited pre-season campaigns due to shoulder and knee injuries respectively.

Both returned for last weekend’s JLT Community Series clash against Greater Western Sydney, with Naismith playing only 54 per cent game time and Sinclair just 62 per cent.

Prior to that, in the side’s opening pre-season fixture, the ruck responsibilities fell on the shoulders of forward Kurt Tippett and youngster Darcy Cameron, who is in his rookie season with the club after being taken with Pick 48 in last year’s national draft.

With both Naismith and Sinclair expected to be fit for Round 1, the short-term implications of the trade are likely to be slim for the Swans.

However, given Nankervis’ lofty potential to become Richmond’s long-term No.1 ruckman, whether Sydney eventually lives to regret the deal is another story.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how-toby-nankervis-trade-could-have-a-round-1-impact-on-both-richmond-and-sydney/news-story/1d34b254910b0aed9746e61d2754c30c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
A FAIR CALL: Toby Nankervis tasting success at Richmond could be the Tasmanian AFL story of the season

Alex Fair
The Advocate
14 Mar 2017, 1:10 p.m.

As is the case every year, the AFL engagements from next week will deliver some moments that will just warm the heart.

This will come from an individual and team perspective, and, obviously, from a Tasmanian perspective we can only look at the former.

From the class of 2017, there is a story of perseverance and risk taking that if the early signs are anything to go by will be a joy to watch.

That is the story of Toby Nankervis.

The former Northern Bomber from George Town’s switch from Sydney to Richmond has been so successful, that it seems only a disaster will not see the 22-year-old named as the Tigers’ first ruck for next Thursday’s season opener against Carlton.

Why it will be such a great moment will is a reflection of his story to get to this point.

Overlooked in all drafts in 2012 despite being an All Australian at the under 18 level that season, he didn’t drop his head and sulk.

In fact he did the opposite.

He put his head down and his bum up and 12 months later was drafted to Sydney.

In 2013, he told Fairfax Media that he had used that year to work “on my game, my diet, my contested marking, having a physical presence on the ground ".

Watching him flourish in the yellow and black, it is obvious that it was a worthwhile use of his time.

As coach Damien Hardwick said on Fox Sports this week, Nankervis is playing the way a ruckman should.

The characteristics he displayed during the Tigers’ JLT Series campaign are testament to this statement.

The 199 centimetre, 106 kilogram big-man was strong in the hit-outs, collected plenty of the ball around the ground and showed just amount the right amount of controlled aggression at the contests.

Just a little bit more presence in attack would see him become almost the complete ruck package.

You do have to applaud him for making the move from Sydney, as leaving such a successful organisation would be hard to do.

But the desire to play more senior football was one that just couldn’t be ignored.

And now, he will likely be part of the opening act of the season in front a crowd he would never have encountered in his football life.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/4529265/big-tigers-rise-is-a-story-of-perseverance/

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
A cult figure in the Maric mould.

We need more genuine characters like him, unlike the media trained and sreamlined pc correct players of today.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
Early call and don't want no bad juju, but looks like the boys have pulled one out of the bag with Toby :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »
Opportunity knocks for Nankervis

James Bresnehan,
Mercury
March 22, 2017

TASMANIAN Tiger Toby Nankervis has a particular goal in mind for his new club Richmond, starting with the AFL season opener against Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night.

That is to go forward and kick goals.

Nankervis, a 22-year-old from George Town who was recruited from North Launceston at No.35 in the 2013 draft, was a valuable pinch-hitter in the ruck for his previous club, Sydney Swans.

In his 12 games for Sydney he averaged 14.1 hit-outs but managed only three goals all told when rested up forward.

Scoring goals is something on which Nankervis is determined to improve after his move in the off-season to Tigerland, along with Josh Caddy (Geelong) and Dion Prestia (Gold Coast).

“I really pride myself on being a competitive ruckman, following up with second and third efforts,” Nankervis said.

“Hopefully I can expand my game and cover the ground better, be more athletic and when I go up forward I can kick some goals as well.”

Nankervis had limited opportunity at the Swans.

That has all changed for the 199cm, 106kg big man.

He has been thrown into the frying pan at Richmond with the Tigers’ loss of No.1 ruckman Shaun Hampson with a long-term back injury, and Tyrone Vickery’s departure for Hawthorn.

“At Sydney when you look at who they have in the ruck and up forward, it was pretty hard for me to break in,” he said.

“When the opportunity to come to Richmond came up, it was very exciting.”

The developing young ruckman said it was difficult to leave Sydney but he did it to increase his chances of playing more senior football.

The move was made easier by his parents, Sharon and Kingsley. They have also moved from Tassie to Melbourne, and Toby — after leaving home four years ago — is back living with Mum and Dad.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/opportunity-knocks-at-richmond-for-tassie-boy-toby-nankervis/news-story/bd22e2f175087530cac71469fa4d0859

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Hopefully 8-10 year player. Everything sounds and looks good so far.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
bloke is only 22 and enters yr 4. Hes a  juvenile in ruck terms.
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS
Toby has a lot more tricks in his bag other than aggression.
A lot more tricks in his bag as I said.
Will become a crowd favourite. Bookmark it.
Certainly appears like hes taken a big step or two and gone to another level.Now lets go and find another one and create some real competition for the spot.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
Ive changed my mind on Nankervis. Reckon it would be good to get him and would be worth direct swap for conca. 

Still only 22 and can hold his own in the ruck. Potential for upside as he reaches his mid 20s and beyond.

I also like he averages 5 tackles a game. Unlike im a little teapot hampson.

Bump from 6 months ago
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »
Ive changed my mind on Nankervis. Reckon it would be good to get him and would be worth direct swap for conca. 

Still only 22 and can hold his own in the ruck. Potential for upside as he reaches his mid 20s and beyond.

I also like he averages 5 tackles a game. Unlike im a little teapot hampson.

Bump from 6 months ago
Be careful Dooks....Don't go the 'early crow'. 8)