Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 180058 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2017, 09:42:12 PM »
Back when Maric wasn't useless. Me thinks that's a bit irrelevant now

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
still was wacko though
not sure it qualifies as telling us for years, but it was cringeworthy
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
Isn't it funny that now we have a good young ruckman that can actually do more than tap the ball down anywhere that the club is spruiking how valuable he is to us.

Are we supposed to forget they've been telling us for years how we didn't need another ruckman because they were happy with an aging Maric and a Spud?

Spot on. The club thought it was locked and loaded in that department until the arrival of last years draft and one Neil Balme.

Dan the man and dimwit were incapable of seeing that prior as they were content with hampson and Maric
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
Tiger Toby’s flying start

Tony Greenberg,
richmondfc.com.au 
April 2, 2017

The instant impact Richmond’s new No. 1 ruckman Toby Nankervis has had in the Tigers’ line-up, is further highlighted through an interesting individual statistic emanating from last Thursday night’s clash with Collingwood at the MCG.

Nankervis, playing just his second game for Richmond after transferring from Sydney during last year’s AFL trade period, had the most contested possessions by a Tigers ruckman in a match since 2003.

The 199cm, 106kg, 22-year-old had 14 contested possessions (21 disposals all-up) in Richmond’s 19-point victory over the Magpies.

He also finished with an equal team-high seven clearances, six inside-50s, three rebound-50s, five marks and 18 hit-outs.

In terms of contested-ball numbers, you have to go all the way back to Round 17 of the ’03 season to find a better performance by a rucking Tiger.

That’s when Brad Ottens had 18 contested possessions in a match against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium, which Richmond won by 60 points.

Nankervis’ top-class ruck display last Thursday night earned him high praise from Tiger teammate Shane Edwards.

“He was on fire,” Edwards told ‘K-Rock’ post-game.

“He’s got a nice left foot as well for a ruckman, so that’s come in pretty handy for us.

“He’s a combination of being good in the contest, he’s got quick hands for a big guy, and he’s also good on the outside when we get it to him.

“He’s not quick, but he can use it by foot.

“He’s a smart guy as well, so he’s always in the right places.

“You just need your big guys to fight, and he does that every time, every training session. He’s a tough bloke.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-04-01/tiger-tobys-flying-start

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
‘Nank’ the tank bowling them over

Lauren Wood,
Herald Sun
8 April 2017

THERE’S two very different sides to Toby Nankervis.

Richmond’s new No.1 ruckman has had an immediate impact in his first two outings as a Tiger — powerful, uncompromising and aggressive.

New teammate Sam Lloyd declared in the preseason that the former Swan has “a bit of mongrel in him” once he crosses the white line.

They are attributes that have led to the former Swan being lauded as the pick of the season, but his on-field persona couldn’t be further from the “other” Toby — quietly-spoken and about as unassuming as a 199cm big man can get.

“I definitely don’t think I’m an aggressive person by nature,” Nankervis says.

“One of my strengths is how competitive I am — I definitely hate losing. It’s a strength I’ve always had in every sport I’ve played.”

And there’s been a few.

The Tasmanian was a top fast bowler as a teenager, once claiming the scalp of Australian cricketer Ashton Agar.

As has been the case for many AFL players, there came a time to choose.

“I love playing sport in general, and took cricket a bit more seriously,” he says.

“I had to make a decision there and footy sort of chose me in a way. I got given the opportunity to play at the (Tassie) Mariners in the Under 18s and I just loved that.

“I could feel myself improving and loved playing footy. It’s just what I enjoyed more.”

Upon reaching draft age in 2012, Nankervis was overlooked.

Named the under-18 competition’s best ruckman in 2013, the now-22-year-old was jagged by Sydney with pick 35 and it was off to the harbour city.

He spent three years on the Swans’ list, playing 12 games in that time, including last year’s semi-final before being named as an emergency for the Grand Final.

With the likes of Kurt Tippett, Sam Naismith and Callum Sinclair ahead of him, there wasn’t much opportunity. It was all he wanted — he made that known — and eventually secured a trade.

“I didn’t have any (contract) talks with Sydney during the year and put it off until the Grand Final, because obviously I was doing everything I could to get an opportunity in that,” Nankervis says.

“After the Grand Final ... I definitely had to make a decision. I was really upfront with the Swans in saying I was going to assess my options.

“I gave everything I had at the Swans — I definitely didn’t leave anything to chance up there. I worked my a--e off. We were both happy at the end of the day. There was nothing behind their back.”

A lengthy chat with Damien Hardwick — who this week lauded the ruckman for his work around the ground — was the catalyst for Nankervis to determine Punt Road was for him.

There was a slight connection to the Tigers, he soon realised, with his dad, Kingsley, born in the same town — Penguin — as Richmond forward/ruck and now-chief executive Brendon Gale.

When Nankervis moved to Melbourne to make a start in yellow and black, he “didn’t know anyone”.

His parents have shifted from Tasmania to Point Cook — where they lived when the ruck was younger — to help support their son, and he’s moved back home to help ease the transition.

“It’s a bit weird, actually — I haven’t seen much of them for three years or so,” he smiles.

“I’m pretty close with my parents and my brother, so it’s good to be back with them. It certainly makes my transition a lot easier, having people around me.”

Melbourne itself has taken a bit of getting used to, also, with the tall running out onto the MCG for the first time in Round 1.

“It (Melbourne) took me a bit to get used to — especially the love of footy,” he said.

“It’s all rugby league in Sydney and I didn’t mind that. It’s a footy heartland down here and you’ve got to embrace that. The good thing about it is, you run out and you’ve got 70 or 80,000 people (there). That’s unbelievable.”

Nankervis has met experience tapmen in Carlton’s Matthew Kreuzer and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy in the first two rounds, and said he made an effort to be a sponge against both.

He was confident going into both clashes having performed strongly throughout the preseason competition, but improvement remains top of his to-do list.

A lot has changed for both Nankervis and Richmond over the last few months, with the likes of him, Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy and a number of new assistant coaches walking into Punt Road.

Change can be good, he says.

But unless he and the Tigers can continue to evolve, it will count for little.

“From what the boys have said, it’s a completely different look this year, which is exciting,” he says.

“It is only Round 3 — the coaches keep saying that to us. We’ve had a good preseason and a good start to the year but that’s nothing if we can’t keep playing like we want to.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-toby-nankervis-grabbing-his-opportunity-after-trade-from-sydney-swans/news-story/397e0fd7b861882e194cc2fcc248cbdd

Offline FLATearth

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:25 PM »
Isn't it funny that now we have a good young ruckman that can actually do more than tap the ball down anywhere that the club is spruiking how valuable he is to us.

Are we supposed to forget they've been telling us for years how we didn't need another ruckman because they were happy with an aging Maric and a Spud?

Spot on. The club thought it was locked and loaded in that department until the arrival of last years draft and one Neil Balme.

Dan the man and dimwit were incapable of seeing that prior as they were content with hampson and Maric

What a difference have an afl standard ruck

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2017, 03:28:49 AM »
Nankervis is averaging 15.7 disposals per game in three appearances so far for his new league club, along with 4.0 marks and 22.0 hit-outs.

Only two ruckmen in the competition have a better disposals average after three games this season – Brisbane’s Stefan Martin (22.3), who will be Nankervis’ opponent at the Gabba next Sunday, and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy (19.3).

Nankervis also is ranked 10th competition-wide for total contested marks (six).

Among Richmond players, he is ranked first for contested marks, third for contested possessions (28), equal-third for clearances (14) and equal-third for inside-50s (11).

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-04-10/nank-shows-he-has-a-big-tank

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »
It's nice to play with eighteen players on the field this year and to only be disadvantaged by the umpiring

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2017, 06:46:44 AM »
It's nice to play with eighteen players on the field this year and to only be disadvantaged by the umpiring

Do you think being one down in training counter balances that?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »

Do you think being one down in training counter balances that?

Hmmm good point however with Lids gone our autograph signing ability has increased which may offset the lower training impact

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »
He has easily overshadowed our other 2 prize recruits.

His skills for a big man are fantastic to watch.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

Yep. His kicking is sensational. Not many men his size can kick a ball like that.

Would actually like to see Hampson and him play in the same side as I genuinely think Nank would be useful in the F50, and TBH we'll probably need Hampson's height and leap VS the better rucks in the league - but not Max Gawn in two weeks fortunately haha.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

Would actually like to see Hampson

Stop it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #298 on: April 13, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
We have never had great ruck depth usually we manage to find one from another club who is aged or well into their careers and it seems no sooner do we get a good one than they go into decline.

FFS  we have a a good one at last but he is a crash bash type who is literally an inside mid once the ruck contest is done with.
Like everyone bar the odd fool i love the way this bloke goes about it and he may well become a capable fwd player but his value is on the ball. 
IMO  the need is now to go out and find another preferabaly a genuine marking goal kicking ruck/fwd a bit like Tipprtt or Hale was at Hawthorn. We may even already have that player in Chol and by all reports Soldo is travelling along nicely.

Would definately cut Hampson and Maric come seasons end and go hard for another young ruckman at the end of the season.

Im not saying some of  these guys are any good or will even make it  but im talking solely about type of tall player and their attributes, the following OR SIMILAR  is what id like for us to do

FF: Chol 198/??  - Moore 193/90  -  Butler
HF: Rioli 179/75 - Riewoldt 195/95 - Markov 188/80 or Castagna 181/75

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #299 on: April 13, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »

Yep. His kicking is sensational. Not many men his size can kick a ball like that.

Would actually like to see Hampson
Ridiculous.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018