Author Topic: Upcoming Fan Night  (Read 5910 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Upcoming Fan Night
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
First of all thanks to RFCO for the opportunity to go and for Benny Gale to speak to us and answer our questions. Benny went through many things so I'll probably forget things and think of them later on.

Tonight was designed to give us a first look at the Fighting Tiger Fund but circumstances such as scoring front and back pages in the Herald-Sun meant the club decided to go public 24 hours earlier. The ticketmaster link to donate will only be used today and the club will switch to IMG. The club will be sending out info (what's on the net) to members on Monday.

The timeframe while not fixed is pretty much over 12 months with the main focus on the next 2 months leading up to the March 17 gala function (cost $280) where the club is hopeful that wealthy supporters/benefactors will bring in the big donations. From the questions it was mentioned that in non-for-profit fundraisers about 20% comes from the average folk so the fundraising will need to be all incompassing. The club felt that going to the members first was right because the club has survived and will succeed on the passion and support of the members/supporters (he admitted that support and loyalty came with little in return from the team). Later on in the year there'll be a thank you party for those who donate which will probably generate more money and then it'll tie back into next year's membership campaign where there'll be a box to tick if you want to donate (again). We'll probably have a final thank you gala (generating more money) just before the start of the 2012 season.

As yet they are still deciding how to acknowledge donators. It all depends on the scale of donations at the gala night on March 17. Possibly some acknowledgement will exist in the Social Club.

This idea of passion Benny traced back to NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue who is 20 years turned the NFL from level with NHL, NBA and MLB in America to the biggest thing in town. Tagliabue said the key to the success was passion.

Benny spoke of us spreading the word (across social media) and the motivation behind this and it doesn't matter if supporters donate $25, $50, $75 or $100. He just wants us to unite behind this idea to succeed. We're not asking for help from supporters; we need the help to compete with the successful clubs. We're sick of being mediocre. We want to win that next premiership. When we were spending $140k I think on recruiting, Collingwood was spending $900k. Their success and financial power was built up gradually to where they are now not overnight.

Someone asked about additional revenue avenues? The money raised will enable us to hire more people whose job it is to generate more revenue.

The 500k supporters is based on the Morgan Poll. A couple of people disputed the figure and the club doesn't have a record or contact details of many of these supporters (if we did we would contact them) but Benny said it's something we can go by and spruik to potential sponsors as our potential reach.

Benny also went through some figures if we could wipe out the debt. If we had 55k members, 50k average attendance, 22 million tv audience and the sponsorship that these figures would bring we'd make $5-6 million per annum profit; if it's 50k, 46k avg. attendance, 16 million tv audience then it's $3-4 million; if it 45k members, 40k avg. attendance, and 12 million tv audience then it's $1-2 million. So shows how much of a difference success on-field and off makes.

No word on the final major co-sponsor. Benny just said it shouldn't be too far away.

We want our own VFL side so we can control the development of our players and don't have guys playing in the Coburg seconds. There's also a brand benefit as well.

Benny repeated that we want to be able to spend 100% of the salary to secure our best players now and build up a war-chest to go out and get a Chris Judd type. At the moment we are paying 92.5% of the cap which Benny said so we should given we finished 15th.

Family Day can't be at Punt Rd as it's a construction site. It'll be a Craigieburn next year as well as the ground will be realigned at the end of this season. The cricketers will be kicked off in two months time. The realignment to Docklands size is a bit different to what we discussed here. The width of the ground will go from the edge of new building to the fence along Punt Rd (a 1.5m gain). The realigned oval will also be a fraction longer. The surface will be levelled off with a laser and lifted a touch.

The realignment will also mean the players will have to continue to train at places like Bulleen next preseason as well.

The redevelopment is 6 weeks behind schedule due to all the rain we've had.

RFCO then spoke about social media and the RFC website. He said the leaking of draftees won't happen again (MT ducks his head as RFCO talks about it :lol ). Attracting traffic back to the RFC website including via forums like OER helps with attracting sponsors. People at the fan night congratulated RFCO and media relations boss Simon Matthews for the large improvement in connecting with supporters over the past 3-4 months.

There was more and sorry if it's all about the place or if it's not 100% accurate but I was typing and recalling at the same time. Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:05:56 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
Forgot to add something important. Benny's motto is "right here right now" (hello fat boy slim). Our focus is only on the now and what was done is basically done and really no one singularly is to blame. He admitted in the past the club was not united and that because our latent support is so large we as a club fell for the quick fix and she'll be alright attitude. Now we have a united club with everyone on the same page moving in the one direction. However the legacy of the debt is too big a problem for the club alone to handle and we need me and you the supporters and members to help the club to not only match the top rich clubs but to become the best and become the leader. Other clubs would envy our potential grow but right here right now that's a long way off (despite pleasing improvements Benny saw in 2010). We need the collective Richmond family's help now whether that's donating yourself, becoming a member if you aren't or encouraging someone you know to become a member. It all goes towards the final tally.

I believe we are planning to have some tally 'thermometer' on the website and possibly on the outside of Punt Rd Oval so people can follow the progress. It won't be for a few weeks though until we have some amount of money to show off.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 12:54:26 AM »
Another thing I forgot.....

Benny Gale said once we no longer need the cash to play home games interstate they will be dropped. The Darwin deal is signed to 2012 and I think Cairns is the same.

Reason for playing interstate:
A game against the Gold Coast would be scheduled at Docklands and they have no supporters and it's likely our own supporters won't turn up either or at least not in numbers to make a profit. So it comes down to either losing $120k at Docklands or making $400k in Cairns. The choice was then clear cut in those terms.

This discussion then lead to the talk of having on and off field muscle to bring the fans through the gates and larger tv audience hence sponsor friendly fixture to generate more clear revenue for the club I mentioned above.

If we had 55k members, 50k average attendance, 22 million tv audience and the sponsorship that these figures would bring we'd make $5-6 million per annum profit (from football); if it's 50k, 46k avg. attendance, 16 million tv audience then it's $3-4 million; if it 45k members, 40k avg. attendance, and 12 million tv audience then it's $1-2 million. So shows how much of a difference success on-field and off makes.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 04:53:44 AM »
This is ending up like a home shopping ad .... "but wait there's more" lol

Benny Gale emphasised the distinction between this Fund and the Jack Dyer Foundation. The JDF is strictly for capital (building) improvements such as the David Mandie building between the Jack Dyer stand and the new building whereas this Fund is to used to maximise the capacity of the footy department.

One question asked of Benny Gale was on what will the money be used on that's in excess of the what is needed to pay off the $4.5m debt. Basically it's to be used to improve our recruiting in terms of more manpower (scouts) on the ground as well towards accelerating the development of our young players once they arrive at Richmond. That means more development coaches so we can put more hours into the kids. Benny mentioned that Freo had 3 development coaches last year so it's no surprise their young players improved out of sight. It's like a teacher at school educating kids. It's about having more contact hours so they can learn. Benny also said we need to improve our technology used for development. We are far behind other clubs in terms of software and equipment.

Another question from the floor mentioned they heard a number of Tiger supporters saying they were going to spend $200 at the Tiger Den instead of making say donation. The person asked which is better financially for the Club - a $200 merchandise purchase at Tiger Den or a $100 donation? From memory Gale said they work out to be roughly the same as there's a 50% cost to the merchandise. Having said that he was happy either way as the Club got the money. Another crowd member reminded everyone that buying merchandise at places like Rebel Sports means the club gets diddly squat in return (about 1%). So if you want ot buy merchandise remember to buy it directly through the Club at the Tiger Den.

Simon our club media supremo mentioned that thanks to the efforts of RFCO we have gone from 15th into the top 8 in the league for social media such as facebook/twitter over the past few months. However for a club with a big following we are still well short of where we should be which is a top 4 clubs. Fremantle for instance still has more people of facebook following them than us. RFCO's objective is for us to have 60k following the Richmond page on facebook and 10k people following on twitter.

As far as the RFC website as I said they want to attract more traffic which encourages sponsors to jump on board. They plan to have things like best 22s where fans can vote for players, more live chats with staff (such as Gale and our membership head honcho near the start of the season so you can ask any questions about membership) plus more Roar Vision clips such as a prematch show on Friday starring Richo. They are hoping Nathan Brown will join him as well (batman and robin may be back). IIRC RFCO said even out of footy season the RFC website is 3rd for traffic.

Another attendee asked if the club had any plans to have a forum on the RFC site. RFCO said no as it then would have to be moderated and they want the RFC site to be independent of fan forums. Simon added that comments on stories will be allowed and as long as they don't contain swearing, abuse or any defamatory remarks then the club will publish them - both good and critical. The club sees critical comments as a chance to improve what it does.

Finally (I hope) RFCO showed around the 2011 guernsey with Bingle on the back to see how the green looked on Y&B. He also passed around the new supporters gear - jacket with sponsors on it (which looked very good) and a grey hoodie with the Tiger is stirring logo.

ps. for those without a credit card, when the info about the FTF arrives next week in the post, it'll contain options so you can pay by cash or cheque as well. The ticketmaster page was a mess and cumbersome so the donation page has been given to IMG to handle from today onwards IIRC.

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:41 AM »

MT

Any mention of a new sponsor?

'65

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »

MT

'65

Already answered by MT:

No word on the final major co-sponsor. Benny just said it shouldn't be too far away.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2011, 07:09:27 AM »

MT

'65

Already answered by MT:

Thanks, I should have read MT's thesis more carefully

:lol

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
A very comprehensive report MT.
That must have taken a while. Appreciated. :thumbsup

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Fantastic report MT. I don't think you missed anything 9other than the quality of the food and service  ;)).

Well done.

Stripes

Con65

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »
MT great report, it reminded me of your old training reports that attracted me to OER in the first place.

Thank you and much appreciated.

C

gerkin greg

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
Top report MT  :cheers
You left out the steak knives

tony_montana

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
thanks MT (and others)  great report  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
Fantastic report MT. I don't think you missed anything 9other than the quality of the food and service  ;)).
I had already eaten so I didn't try the multitude of sandwiches on offer but yep you can't knock free drinks :thumbsup

MT great report, it reminded me of your old training reports that attracted me to OER in the first place.
Ta Con. Yep I wish I could get to training now far more often. Just too busy at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks, I should have read MT's thesis more carefully

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
Forgot to add something important.

Top report MT!