Author Topic: Richard Tambling threads [merged]  (Read 113931 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richard Tambling threads [merged]
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:35:23 PM »
NT youngster expected to go early in draft
footygoss.com
Posted Nov 04, 2004 - 12:31 PM

Richmond recruiting manager Greg Beck says Darwin's Richard Tambling will play AFL football next year - but not necessarily with the Tigers.

The Northern Territory News reports Tambling, 18, is high on the list of several AFL clubs attending this month's national draft.

This season's wooden spooners Richmond has five selections in the top 20 at the November 20 draft, including the coveted No. 1 pick.

And with Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs sharing the first six picks with the Tigers, Tambling's future with one of those clubs seems assured.

Beck has joined the list of Tambling admirers, saying the Southern Districts utility is a readymade AFL player.

"We certainly think the boy can really play, there's no doubt about that," Beck said.

"We've watched him very closely at the under-16 and U18 nationals and think he's got a terrific future in the game.

"Richard's going to go in the top four or five picks, there's no doubt about that.

"We're doing our homework and finding out all the information we can about the boys that will be in that area.

"Hopefully we'll get a mix of talls and running players like Richard, we've got five picks in the top 20 so we'll be looking at different types of players."

http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15338&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
A few notes on Tambling (Turbo)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 11:03:18 AM »
His official nickname should be Turbo - coz when you see him you'd swear he's got a twin turbo stuck up his ar$e.

Managed to see the tape of the U18 game NT v Tas.  After being BOG in the prior game (v QLD I think) he had a relatively quiet game.  Was heavily tagged and played mainly in the forward line.  He got about 10-15 stats and kicked 3 goals, however everything he did was exciting.  He definately has the X factor.

Speed.  He's got it.  He has Judd type speed.  Not only has he got leg speed but his overall body movement (arms, head, torso etc.) is fast.  He flashes through a pack and your not quite sure who it was.  Like a flash of lightning.  It appears he's playing in fast forward while everyone else is at normal speed.  Remember those speedy Gonzalez cartoons when speedy runs around the cat tying him in knots while having enough time to make a sandwhich.

He has extreme urgency.  Tambling and Bowden - Chalk and cheese.  Loves to play on.  Will play on when he shouldn't, and always hits the ground running after a mark or handball receive.  Sometimes too urgent and needs to learn to settle down at times and compose himself.

Get used to.  Get used to him running around the man on the mark and playing on during a set shot.  Even if he doesn't fully sell the dummy, he has pace to make up for it.  We'll see alot of this.  Also expect him to burst many packs, virtually running straight through it.

Reminds me alot of a mix between Maxfield and Michael Mitchell.  Actually looks and moves like Mitchell - lean but very musclular - wiry, springy.  He reminds me of Maxfield by the way he thrashes his body in packs.  He tackles and bumps to hurt and loves the rough stuff.  Also reminds me of a young Stuart by how urgent he always is when he's chasing and running with the ball, with a grimmace on his face.  Like he's running to the toilet with severe gastro.

Kicking.  His style looks unusual.  I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I pressed the pause and slow motion buttons.  He tends to hold the ball down low when guiding it to his foot.  But the outcome is impressive.  Can kick it low and hard and usually finds a target.  Very confident kick and can kick well while at pace.  However, he tends to rush his kicks and spray them.  This isn't a query over his skill or technique but more towards his composure as he doesn't take the time to look where he's kicking.

Physique - He is ready to go at round 1.  He tackles like a man possessed and is very muscular for his weight.  No problems about his size.  He is more ready than Krakour, Roach, Raines, Hyde physical wise.

He likes the rough and tough stuff more than Davey and has more urgency than Wells.

Mark - Is actually a nice mark with a very good leap.  Will be very hard to amtch up on in the forward line with his pace and leap.

Queries. 

My main query at this stage is his composure as he's always goes at 100 miles an hour.  He tends to rush everything.  He has amazing pace and electricity and would give judd a run for his money in this regard.  However like Judd he needs to harness this and learn when to burst and when to slow down and compose himself.  He has Judd like skills aswell.  He needs to learn that there is more than one level of pace to the game, that there are times when he has to slow down, maybe stop, change direction, do a side step etc.  His kicking skills are also affected by this as he at times rushes the ball onto his boot and doesn't look.  Like a young stuart maxfield, when he has time he can find a target 99% of the time.  But when rushed (mind you mainly due to his own extreme urgency and not due to the opponent getting near him) he will spray the kick or not look where he's kicking it.  Reminds me of Maxfield quite alot in this regard.

Another query I have is his ball getting ability.  But this again is due to his urent thrashing ways.  In a pack situation he tends to go at the ball too quickly for his own good.  Where he should keep his head over the ball, slow down and hold his ground to ensure he gets clean hands onto it, he tends to go at it too fast and as a result will fumble or the ball will ricochet of his hand or foot.  Needs to learn to slow down in these situations.  He has good clean hands below his knees, however even Greg Williams would struggle to pick up the ball cleanly at that speed. 

Also his body positioning in pack situations could improve as he sems to be focussing on where the ball is instead of where it will go.  He's like a cat chasing a mouse.  He will need to learn to read the play a bit better.

Turbo will definately excite and get ready for the highlight packages.  If Wallace can harness his eagerness then will have a great player.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:05:41 PM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

Re: A few notes on Tambling (Turbo)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »
Grouse update Harrison Hedgeworth ! :bow

LMAOOOOO@That twin turbo being Wallace and Miller.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 02:58:21 PM »
lmfaoooooo@Turbo. I thought it was going to be a reference to Electric Boogaloo. lmfaooooo@Turbo&Ozone. What the stuff were they thinking!

lmfaoooo@Harry bragging about a film he watched where a guy appeared to have something up his ars

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 05:00:04 PM »
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA

There is nothing wrong with BreakDance Johnny boy.........what a film!
Who can forget the scene out the front of the shop where Turbo is dancing with the broomstick?
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAH
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »
Fantastic write-up Harry  :bow  :cheers. Can't wait to see him live based on that report.

A knowledgable scribe around these parts  ;) rates him better than Deledio at this stage. The good thing about having so many early picks is the focus isn't on only one of them all the time.

Is Tambling dual-sided Harry? If he is he'll destroy most opponents with his pace alone when changing direction.

Turbo's a top nickname :thumbsup

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 05:58:53 PM »
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA

There is nothing wrong with BreakDance Johnny boy.........what a film!
Who can forget the scene out the front of the shop where Turbo is dancing with the broomstick?
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAH

roflmaooo om, classic scene! and great track as well, 'Tour de France' by Kraftwerk

lmfaooooo@the wires on the broomstick being thicker than the broom!

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »
His official nickname should be Turbo - coz when you see him you'd swear he's got a twin turbo stuck up his ar$e.

Reminds me alot of a mix between Maxfield and Michael Mitchell.  Actually looks and moves like Mitchell - lean but very musclular - wiry, springy.  He reminds me of Maxfield by the way he thrashes his body in packs.  He tackles and bumps to hurt and loves the rough stuff.  Also reminds me of a young Stuart by how urgent he always is when he's chasing and running with the ball, with a grimmace on his face.  Like he's running to the toilet with severe gastro..[/b] Better than Sunday strolling (stop, pause wave at team mate, announce to opposition who you want to give it to & then give ball to direct opponent.

He likes the rough and tough stuff more than Davey and has more urgency than Wells.ye Ha

Reminds me of Maxfield quite alot in this regard. good stuff

If Wallace can harness his eagerness then will have a great player. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

:santa :santa :santa it is close to christmas

Why did we ever get rid of Stewie? Can someone remind me of the situation? MT?

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 10:11:06 PM »
We couldnt match the offer the swans made for Maxfield.

I reckon that Tambling was the only player in the draft that could have burnt us by not taking them at 1 and missing out all together. If Hawthorn had taken him, it could have really backfired on us depending on the way Deledio turns out.

LMAO@ Tambling getting out a piece of cardboard and doing some breakdance on it!!!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 02:37:03 AM »
Why did we ever get rid of Stewie? Can someone remind me of the situation? MT?

I've heard a couple of versions HT. At the time I remember him saying something like he felt there were better opportunties for plumbers in Sydney than Melbourne...che! ???.

A few months back during the season he did an interview on the radio (think it was on KB's show). Maxfield said he didn't feel he was getting the opportunity at Richmond as he was played on and off the bench as a impact player under Northey. He said Sydney with Eade as first year coach offered him the chance to play more on the ball.

$$$ would have played a big part as at that time Sydney were in the habit of saving their extra grant from the AFL they were getting and on top of that they received concession picks as well. So every 2 years in the mid 90's they would have heaps of dough to throw at out-of-contract players. They apparently signed up both Maxfield and Naish but we complained as the rules only allowed them to target one out-of-contract player per club. So they kept Maxfield and we got Naish back  :(. In return for losing Maxfield we got a compensatory pick which we used to pick up Gas from them. So in effect it became a straight swap of Gas for Maxfield.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 03:06:51 AM »
The Maxfield family were always mad Richmond. They were quite upset that the club did not pursue David Grenvold for breaking Stuart's jaw behind the play the first time we played Essendon in '95.
Hasn't been mentioned as a reason for leaving but I've always suspected it gave the decision impetus
The family are now Swans supporters.

Tambling looks extremely happy to be at Richmond. That's gotta be good.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 03:08:29 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 05:00:38 PM »
roflmaooo om, classic scene! and great track as well, 'Tour de France' by Kraftwerk

I literally fell off my chair at that........how could i forget the wires on the broomstick....
Im still laughing out loud here shaking my head....that is gold.

Would you beleive my Mrs hadnt even heard of that film before me? I think she got fed up with my crap when Ozone began ripping off his clothes in that dance audition......STREET
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 09:40:02 PM »
Gee. What concerns. The kid will learn composure very quickly. Remember Knighter, not quick but rarely caught once he got a few games under his belt. Can't wait to see RT - Thought Hawthorn would learn from the Judd experience. Thank God for Dermie. What an idiot!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 04:41:45 PM »

I literally fell off my chair at that........how could i forget the wires on the broomstick....
Im still laughing out loud here shaking my head....that is gold.

Would you beleive my Mrs hadnt even heard of that film before me? I think she got fed up with my crap when Ozone began ripping off his clothes in that dance audition......STREET

:lol :rollin :lol

stuff dude, glad your relationship survived that film.

Its such a pissa on so many levels. Did you notice a young Jean Claude Van Damme in lycra tights at the start of the film where they are breaking on the beach? lmfaoooo@that!

Keep your mrs. away from part 2, especially the mardi gras scene at the end with everyone wearing flouro greens and oranges. That's scarring...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tambling timing unclear
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 03:43:53 PM »
Tambling timing unclear
9:57:05 AM Wed 6 April, 2005
Samantha Lane
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richard Tambling, one of Richmond's prize teenage draft picks, has been administered injections for a back injury that has further stalled his already interrupted pre-season and delayed his senior debut.

Though the Tigers are confident the 18-year-old midfielder will be fit to play a match this weekend - Richmond take on the Western Bulldogs on Sunday and VFL side Coburg play on Saturday - Tambling's condition is yet to be fully assessed.

The recent back injury is one of a sequence of ailments experienced by the No.4 pick of last year's NAB AFL Draft since he arrived at Punt Road.

"He hurt a hamstring out at Sandringham five weeks ago and came back from that," Tigers coach Terry Wallace said on Tuesday.

"He had two weeks interrupted preparation for that and then hurt his toe in a pre-season game against Brisbane."

"He's been having a few problems with a back and needed to have a couple of injections last week….It was just stiffening up on him and he was struggling with it a little bit."

Brett Deledio, the top pick of the draft, is the only first year Tigers player who has made his senior debut this year.

Tambling was expected to join his teammates in full training on Wednesday morning, and Wallace will assess his sharpness before deciding whether to pick him to debut against the Bulldogs or play in the VFL.

"It’s just whether we think it's right or fair to play him straight up like that," he said.

"We'll expect he'll train fully this week and play on the weekend … we think we've overcome the problems he's been suffering with, probably for two or three weeks now."

"At his stage because we haven't seen him out on the track and we haven't seen him training, we haven't seen at what levels he's at. What you're looking for with those sort of things is how's his touch."

Wallace said the lay-off might even be of benefit to Tambling.

"For a boy coming from Darwin who hasn't been used to the hectic workload of what is an AFL pre-season, it might actually even just freshen him up and give him a fresher approach."

"I think a young player like that, sometimes a break actually freshens them up."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=194370