Author Topic: Which Tiger players will step up in finals?  (Read 5371 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Which Tiger players will step up in finals?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
He was woeful against Port, particularly in the first half -as was the entire side- and that's when the match was lost.... he was even getting cleaned up by Jake Neade ffs...
Woeful v Port? Didn't he have 30 odd?

Yes was more like a Grigg or Bellis 30 possession game...did stuff all with most of them and didn't influence the match in any way..

Again - standing up in a final is when you either help win it or if not, you at least perform under finals pressure when the chips are down and the match is still in the balance. Martin has yet to do this, Cotchin has at least once. :shh

I was there that day and remember walking away thinking at least Dusty played okay, broke some packs open. Have not watched the replay since though. Its a moot point - he's 2ce the player now that he was back then - lets see him do it!

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
Easier to say which players wont step up in finals based on the 3 previous ones:

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Caddy had a very poor record in finals at the Cats and if we had Deledio still I'd put that pretender in the same group also. 

Hopefully all of the rest step up because we'll need them to.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
He was woeful against Port, particularly in the first half -as was the entire side- and that's when the match was lost.... he was even getting cleaned up by Jake Neade ffs...
Woeful v Port? Didn't he have 30 odd?

Yes was more like a Grigg or Bellis 30 possession game...did stuff all with most of them and didn't influence the match in any way..

Again - standing up in a final is when you either help win it or if not, you at least perform under finals pressure when the chips are down and the match is still in the balance. Martin has yet to do this, Cotchin has at least once. :shh

I was there that day and remember walking away thinking at least Dusty played okay, broke some packs open. Have not watched the replay since though. Its a moot point - he's 2ce the player now that he was back then - lets see him do it!

Yes but was that in the first half when Port were smashing us or the second half when it was all over bar the shouting? Because what I mainly remember from Martin in the first half was a lot of fumbling, turnovers and getting run down by a midget. IMO Deledio was our best player after half-time but really, so what... it was all too little too late and as meaningless a Jack's junk time goals  & Griffiths 70-metre effort right at the end.

I do agree he's gone up several levels as a player since then and hopefully he can start to rectify the situation beginning on Friday night. :gotigers
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
Easier to say which players wont step up in finals based on the 3 previous ones:

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Caddy had a very poor record in finals at the Cats and if we had Deledio still I'd put that pretender in the same group also. 

I would be happy if Cotch played like he did in the 2013 EF.

26 disposals and two goals, one a cracking left foot snap and the other a "captains" goal around about half time from a set shot.

But anyway carry on with your misinformation

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

26 disposals and two goals, one a cracking left foot snap and the other a "captains" goal around about half time from a set shot.

Yeh, how'd he go in the 2nd half though?

Also missing in action against Nth. 

I love the guy but he simply can't shake a hard tag and that's what he will get Friday night.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Usual, ie he busted his nuts to cover the pooty players in our team

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Was only our best player.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Id be happy if he pointed with the wind, handed over responsibilities to Rance and got more than 9 possessions.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:10 AM »
It doesn't really matter who may have played ok in any one final. 

It's who stands up when the team is challenged. Which player will say, pee off! I'm not going to take this crap anymore!!!!   Winners do this and the facts remain that none of them are winners.

So cut the crap and let's hope they show us who can get us that win. I wouldn't give a toss if it's helicopters Grigg or scardy cat Houli as long as they win the game.

Until then they're all just pretenders fooling us all.
The club that keeps giving.

tony_montana

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »
One things for sure, this will define some of our leaders. If they can't dominate/step up in finals there will be an asterisk next to their names.

We all believe that Rance is one of, if not the best fullbacks we've seen, he will need to step up and dominate in finals to confirm this imo, same goes for Dusty to truly cement his place as one of the top 2 players in the comp.

I'd love to see Cotch play on the edge, that's when he's at his best. Jack just needs to kick the goals when the game demands our best fwd needs to.

For mine this cats game is the one that can make or break this footy club. Win this and the monkeys off the back, lose this and its back to same ol same ol. We will need to be at our absolute best to win this, the cats don't give free rides, if we want to take the next step as a footy club we are going to have to earn it against this mob that know all about pressure and big games.

It's all before us, are we good enough? Are we strong enough?

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
Unlikely to be Grigg

Kicks like a Geelong player  :(

Maybe someone will give us a 3rd rounder

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Did anyone notice whether Cotch had a quiet spell in last weeks game?

Doesn't have to be a quarter, it can be just for a few minutes

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »

1. Grigg
2. Houli
3. Ellis
4. Cotchin
5. Edwards

Did anyone notice whether Cotch had a quiet spell in last weeks game?

Doesn't have to be a quarter, it can be just for a few minutes

Did cotchin have a quiet period or was he on the bench  :huh

He was off the ground a lot
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:23:57 PM by 1885 »

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Players who suprised me and stood up (or exceeded expectations):

Houli
Caddy
Broad

Also thought McIntosh was okay.

Prestia much better than expected.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
Caddy and Prestia were both sensational.  There have been times this season I have thought "meh"  ....but they were both super impressive when it counted .
Unleash the tornado