Author Topic: Kane relieves himself (again) / Sugar steps down as captain  (Read 1507 times)

bushranger

Re: Kane relieves himself (again) / Sugar steps down as captain
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »
I hope people can see me dancing as that is what I am doing now. It is something that I have looked for and I have been after for a while. If I had a little bit to do with the decision I would be really happy but I know that I had nothing to do with it. All the same I'm one happy person. Now I bet he will start to play footy like he should have done from the start.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
Did someone say........?

RICHO !

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
Said during the season that I'd give it to Richo - he plays a more team oriented role nowadays, is a great ambassador for the club, the players and general footy public love him and whats the point of giving to one of the younger players when none of them has really stood up to the plate yet and the most promising character (Cotchin) is a couple of years away.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »
You have to be careful where you relieve yourself these days too

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24641253-5001028,00.html
beat his neighbour to death for urinating against the wall of his house after a drinking binge, newspapers said

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
Johnson quits as skipper
By Ben Broad
 1:23 PM Wed 12 November, 2008

RICHMOND will appoint a new skipper ahead of the 2009 AFL season after Kane Johnson announced on Wednesday that he would step down from the role as captain of the club.

Johnson, who took over the captaincy in 2005, led the Tigers in 77 matches but said he believed the time was right to hand over the reins to a younger teammate.

“It has been an enormous privilege to serve as captain over the past four years but the time has come to hand over to someone else,” Johnson said.

“We are a young and emerging side and the timing is right for generational change. I still see myself with a role to play in terms of mentoring the younger players and I look forward to helping out the new captain, whoever that may be.”

Tigers coach Terry Wallace paid tribute to Johnson’s leadership throughout his five-year stint in the top job.

“Kane took over the captaincy at a difficult time and helped developed our young team,” Wallace said.

“Kane has an extraordinary presence both on and off the field and will continue to be a highly respected player at our club.

“His work ethic is second to none and his positive influence over the playing group will remain.”

Richmond has worked hard to develop more leaders in recent years, and the big question in coming weeks – when the club expects to make an announcement on the next skipper –will be who will take over the captaincy.

Vice-captains Chris Newman and Nathan Foley would appear to be the front runners, although it remains to be seen if the Tigers appoint a short-term leader – such as favourite son Matthew Richardson – to fill the role for a season or two before appointing a younger player for a longer period.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=69715

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Number's up for Johnson (RFC)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
Number's up for Johnson
By Ben Broad
 4:47 PM Wed 12 November, 2008

AT THE end of Wednesday's press conference, now former Richmond captain Kane Johnson reminded the assembled media he would return to his old No. 28 jumper now that he had stood aside as Tigers skipper.

"Hopefully it'll bring us a bit more success," he joked.

The one-time Crow wore that number during his seven seasons – and two premierships – with Adelaide.

For the past four years Johnson has run out in No.17, Jack Dyer's number and the one now worn by the man given the honour of leading the yellow and black.

But in his six seasons at Punt Road he is yet to taste finals football, and Johnson feels the Tigers are due for a change of luck.

"There hasn't been a lot of on-field success which has been disappointing," Johnson said from Gosch's Paddock on Wednesday.

"That's something that every leader would like to accomplish. I think the best thing [for me] was seeing this young group develop.

"I came in at a fairly difficult time at the football club. We were changing over a lot of players … I'm sure we'll get some benefits the next few years."

Johnson has relinquished the captaincy after reviewing his position at the end of the season.

He simply believes the time is right to pass the baton to "the new generation of Tiger leader".

While vice-captains Chris Newman and Nathan Foley loom as obvious candidates, Johnson wasn't giving anything away.

He mentioned Brett Deledio as a potential leadership candidate while acknowledging the Tiger Army would like to see Matthew Richardson lead the club.

"Oh look there's probably three or four, probably five, that are definitely ready [to captain the club]," Johnson said.

"In the next couple of weeks we're going to go through the process … and once that's done hopefully we can make an announcement as soon as possible."

Johnson endured a difficult start to 2008 when he was suspended for one match by his club after police charged him for being drunk and he was found urinating in public.

But the gifted midfielder rated the 2007 season, and not his off-field misdemeanour, as his toughest period as skipper.

"We only won three or four games and it was a tough time because there's always just negative press and negative feedback from your family and everyone you talk to; it's negative, negative, negative," he said.

"It had become quite daunting but we got through it. It's those times that you actually learn [from] and grow as a person and it was good development for our club to go through."

The 30-year-old, who has played 220 AFL matches including 116 for the Tigers, is uncertain how much longer he will continue playing but hopes he has plenty of footy left in his legs as he believes success is "just around the corner" for the Tigers.

"I'll just keep going year by year and see how it unfolds."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=69718

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
Captain Newman IMO. WP will be pleased  ;D.

Yes would be absolutely delighted ... seriously ;D :help

:jump

:eyebrow

:outtahere
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »
Caro on 3aw just now said she hasn't spoken to anyone at the club but reckons Newman will be captain. Foley up there to but Newman would easily get the nod if it came down to a choice out of the two. Lids is too young. Cotch is captain in waiting 3-4 years from now.