Author Topic: Kane relieves himself (again) / Sugar steps down as captain  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
Kane relieves himself (again) / Sugar steps down as captain
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
No longer Captain... Is it too early for Deledio or will C Newman b the man??
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:44:51 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kane relieves himself (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

No longer Captain... Is it too early for Deledio or will C Newman b the man??

Is this confirmed?

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
 :santa Yep

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »
Where is the confirmation Bateman

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Johnson steps down as Tigers captain (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
Johnson steps down as Tigers captain
AAP
November 12, 2008 12:21pm

RICHMOND'S Kane Johnson has stepped down as captain of the Tigers

“It has been an enormous privilege to serve as captain over the past four years but the time has come to hand over to someone else,” Johnson said.

“We are a young and emerging side and the timing is right for generational change. I still see myself with a role to play in terms of mentoring the younger players and I look forward to helping out the new captain, whoever that may be.”

Senior Coach Terry Wallace paid tribute to Johnson’s outstanding leadership.

“Kane took over the captaincy at a difficult time and helped developed our young team,” Wallace said.

“Kane has an extraordinary presence both on and off the field and will continue to be a highly respected player at our club. His work ethic is second to none and his positive influence over the playing group will remain.”

Johnson’s replacement has not yet been chosen.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24640591-11088,00.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kane relieves himself (again) / Sugar steps down as captain
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »
There you go then.

For mine too early for Lids as he needs to develop into the player his potential is pointing to, probably Newman will get the gig.

The big question for me is can Kane retain his spot in the side without the captaincy.  A lot of people would say No.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »
Maybe we could lure a major sponsor with a deal that involves the sponsoring companies CEO being captain and playing for us.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »
I agree with you Chuck - Johnson would be struggling to keep his spot for mine. As 2008 progressed, Johnson was very quietly shifted to the forwardline in a defensive role. Consequently, and arguably conincidently, the move mirrored the stage of the year when we began to string together victories and win the ball consistently out of the middle.

I think Kane lacks the pace and polish we need in the middle. He can provide 'protection' in the centre by providing blocks, shepherds and tags but he is not the ball winner he once may have been and lacks the finishing skills that we need.

I would predict that by years end he may only be playing infrequently or off the bench.

Newman is his obvious replacement but it truth this move would be more of a temporary elevation rather than a sustained change. We probably should be looking to Foley with Newman and Tambling sharing the VC role. 'Tambling!' I hear you laugh but Tambling is an excellent speaker, has clear leadership skills and the role may lift his confidence and be the spark he needs to fufill his potential.

Lids is not a natural leader and the role would be more of a weight around his neck than a license to shine. He needs space over the next couple of years.

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:53 PM »
Newman is his obvious replacement but it truth this move would be more of a temporary elevation rather than a sustained change. We probably should be looking to Foley with Newman and Tambling sharing the VC role. 'Tambling!' I hear you laugh but Tambling is an excellent speaker, has clear leadership skills and the role may lift his confidence and be the spark he needs to fufill his potential.

No laughing from me Stripes, Tambling has impressed me so far with his ethic both on and off the track.  As long as it wouldn't impede his development I wouldn't be against it (and of course he would have to have the playing groups respect).

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
Maybe we could lure a major sponsor with a deal that involves the sponsoring companies CEO being captain and playing for us.

You mean like if Cousins got a job as the CEO at Coke

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
On the cards. Sugar can now play out his final year while being a mentor for the new captain as he adjusts to the responsibility.

Captain Newman IMO. WP will be pleased  ;D.

Vice-captains Foley & Lids
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
Yep Newman for me until Cotchin is 24 then the little champ can add that to his achievements which should include 2 Brownlows, 3 B&F's, Grand Final Medallion, Norm Smith Medalist and AFL players association's player of the year.

Seriously, Newy should get the gig, Foley, Lids his deputies !!!!

Well done to Kane, its been a tough road and he is probably going to struggle to get a game next year but I hope he does. He's a Tiger man a I can see a coaching role at the club not long after his retirement.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
Just supposing that Richo got the job do you think he would swap to the 17.

I reckon the 12 symbolizes almost as much to the Richmond faithful as the 17, and probably more so for the younger generation.

FooffooValve

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
Newman would be a mistake IMO. He's a good serviceable player, but nowhere near our best, and I think the skipper should be close to, if not our best player. I think Deledio is our next long term skipper, but perhaps not quite ready yet. I'd give it to Richo for 1 or 2 years to cap his career, and then to Deledio.

Ox

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
Kane relieves himself (again)

Funniest thread title ever. :thumbsup