Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 760456 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5400 on: August 15, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
The Guardian is a 2nd hand leftist
Rag that no one reads because its commie newsletter based propaganda too for the ALP and their
Dodgy union mates. 

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5401 on: August 16, 2020, 06:38:01 AM »

What is Scotty from Marketing hiding now?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/national-cabinet-documents-might-not-be-available-to-state-hotel-inquiry-20200814-p55lu3.html

A controversial Federal Government decision to assert cabinet confidentiality over discussions between the Prime Minister and state leaders in national cabinet will likely prevent Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry from accessing the highest level discussions about the program.

As the board of inquiry team headed by former state coroner Jennifer Coate sorts through more than 100,000 Victorian departmental documents, a constitutional fight is brewing over the Commonwealth’s position.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5402 on: August 16, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
Must be something they don't want heard

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5403 on: August 16, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »
Must be something they don't want heard

Indeed!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5404 on: August 16, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »
the aged care administrators to face charges Andy, which they should, but dan andrews and Mikakos to have a job at the end of this or do we forget where this is all started?

Give me a break please

I think they'll lose the election.

Give you a break about what? You think private aged care organisations should be given a reprieve?

It's horrendous. My own staff are managing one of them. The lack of training and resources is absurd - same as the hotel fiasco. However once you remove C19 from the equation there are still several communicable illnesses that run rampant in these facilities, just without the media spotlight.

so they bloody should. The honorable thing to do would be to see covid out and walk. My question was what do you think should happen, not what you think will. Stop deflecting comrade.

Also who said they should get a reprieve? i said they should face charges :banghead. My point is and has been all along is where did the second wave start. Start from what sutton said there and work our way down to aged care.

FWIW my cousins runs one on Punt Road and its of high quality, with no issues.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:19:34 PM by one-eyed »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5405 on: August 16, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
My dads in aged care not one case throughhout the
period of covid. Its about the management and staff. If they followed the rules they wouldnt have issues but unfortunately some put profit before the elderly. They should be taken over by the commonwealth. Any operator who has done the wrong thing should be shut down.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5406 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »
You have missed the point. The Federally run centres were poorly regulated.

The centres did nothing wrong. They did not expect the pandemic. The feds should have but didn't. 

The political ideology of the Libs is profit and free enterprise driven.

The scariest thing is that even now they are talking about further deregulation of the the labour market.

UNBELIEVABLE

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5407 on: August 16, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »

The centres did nothing wrong. They did not expect the pandemic. The feds should have but didn't. 

The scariest thing is that even now they are talking about further deregulation of the the labour market.

UNBELIEVABLE

To say the centres did nothing wrong is total and absolute rubbish.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5408 on: August 16, 2020, 10:27:08 PM »

UNBELIEVABLE

To say the centres did nothing wrong is total and absolute rubbish.

They were ill prepared, under regulated and the staff were under qualified. None of this was their fault. The Feds stuffed up. The proof? Look at the state run centres. Almost no infections or deaths.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:02:50 AM by 1965 »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5409 on: August 17, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »
My dads in aged care not one case throughhout the
period of covid. Its about the management and staff. If they followed the rules they wouldnt have issues but unfortunately some put profit before the elderly. They should be taken over by the commonwealth. Any operator who has done the wrong thing should be shut down.

As you know I no longer post in this thread and offer any form of opinion but I still read it

But forgive me Ramps, you've confused me

You said Aged Care Centres should be taken over by the Commonwealth

Aged Care in this country is already the responsibility of the Commonwealth (Fed Govt). Aged Care was privatised by the Howard govt. But the overall responsibility to ensure they are managed and run correctly falls with the Commonwealth

Issues in the Aged Care sector have been there for a considerable amount of time. Hence, why there is currently a Royal Commission into Aged Care going on now. COVID19, has only highlighted further shortcomings in that system and that is why it is the focus of the RC now.

Victoria is the only State that retained and continues to manage a number (small) of Aged Care facilities. But the majority are privately owned and run.

So I'm just trying understand what you mean by the Commonwealth should take them over?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5410 on: August 17, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Private operators have done the wrong thing. Individual operators select and recruit cheap staff. They do it to maximise profit. Poorly trained staff cant be blamed on the government. Its 100% the fault of the operators looking to profit. Its these centres that need to be taken over by government. My dads centre hasnt had 1 case. Centre is properly managed and rules are enforced re covid. All these other places have implemented failed policies or failed to enforce rules resulting in deaths and covid outbreaks. Thats the fault of those individual operators not the government and its those operators that should be run out of the industry.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5411 on: August 17, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »
Private operators have done the wrong thing. Individual operators select and recruit cheap staff. They do it to maximise profit. Poorly trained staff cant be blamed on the government. Its 100% the fault of the operators looking to profit. Its these centres that need to be taken over by government. My dads centre hasnt had 1 case. Centre is properly managed and rules are enforced re covid. All these other places have implemented failed policies or failed to enforce rules resulting in deaths and covid outbreaks. Thats the fault of those individual operators not the government and its those operators that should be run out of the industry.

Thanks got your point now
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5412 on: August 17, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
the aged care administrators to face charges Andy, which they should, but dan andrews and Mikakos to have a job at the end of this or do we forget where this is all started?

Give me a break please

I think they'll lose the election.

Give you a break about what? You think private aged care organisations should be given a reprieve?

It's horrendous. My own staff are managing one of them. The lack of training and resources is absurd - same as the hotel fiasco. However once you remove C19 from the equation there are still several communicable illnesses that run rampant in these facilities, just without the media spotlight.

so they bloody should. The honorable thing to do would be to see covid out and walk. My question was what do you think should happen, not what you think will. Stop deflecting comrade.

Also who said they should get a reprieve? i said they should face charges :banghead. My point is and has been all along is where did the second wave start. Start from what sutton said there and work our way down to aged care.

FWIW my cousins runs one on Punt Road and its of high quality, with no issues.

Not deflecting at all. I think they'll lose the election, which clearly indicates that I think they should see out their term. Plenty of time to do good work afterwards. Whether or not Andrews is the right person for the job will depend a lot on the inquiry for me.

As for the wave, yes is clearly started in the hotel. Could have stopped several times before (China onwards) or after (community compliance with restrictions and precautions etc). Interesting though that the only people you seem to want held accountable for the pandemic is the Labor party?

Genuine question - do you think having a Lib state government would have had any major impact on the current situation? Any evidence to suggest this would be the case or just hindsight?

Didn't see anyone complaining about the lack of ADF support at quarantine before wave 2.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:20:15 PM by one-eyed »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5413 on: August 17, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »
Private operators have done the wrong thing. Individual operators select and recruit cheap staff. They do it to maximise profit. Poorly trained staff cant be blamed on the government. Its 100% the fault of the operators looking to profit.

It can and should be blamed on the Federal government. They set the regulations that govern staffing ratios, training requirements etc. Individual operators are working within existing laws set down by the Federal Government. Can you not see this or are you just in denial re Scotty from Marketing's complicity in this disaster?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5414 on: August 17, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »
Private operators have done the wrong thing. Individual operators select and recruit cheap staff. They do it to maximise profit. Poorly trained staff cant be blamed on the government. Its 100% the fault of the operators looking to profit.

It can and should be blamed on the Federal government. They set the regulations that govern staffing ratios, training requirements etc. Individual operators are working within existing laws set down by the Federal Government. Can you not see this or are you just in denial re Scotty from Marketing's complicity in this disaster?

What about poorly trained security guards handling a hotel quarantine? Can we blame the government?

Or do we blame the private operator who was contracted to do a better job? ;)