Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 272339 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #1275 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
Marngrook footy show tonight(thursday) on abc2 have an exclusive interview with Mifsud.
Be interesting to hear his side of the story now we have heard Rendell's.

The Marngrook Footy Show has an exclusive interview with the AFL's Community Engagements Officer, Jason Mifsud, on our first show of the year, this Thursday night.

The issue of Indigenous participation in AFL football has been a huge topic over the last month, which culminated in the sacking of Adelaide's recruiting officer Matt Rendell last Friday after he made racist comments to Jason Mifsud in a meeting about multicultural participation in the game earlier in the month.

Jason opens up to the Marngrook Footy Show and spoke about his vision for the game and the participation of Indigenous people.

Our expert panel will discuss the issue and give their views on what direction the AFL should take next... and you can catch it all, exclusive to Marngrook and ABC2, Thursday 8:30pm.

http://www.marngrookfootyshow.com.au/

OER I thought I'd post this in here due to the topic being discussed mainly in this thread.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Its interesting how the AFL falls short compared to the Rugby League system with regards to assisting indigenous kids with talent in their transition into professional sport.
I can speak first hand on this through my profession.

As there is no draft system, Rugby league clubs can invest in talent at a much earlier age and therefore they are able to utilise the private education system through Boarding schools who take on indigenous kids via government or club funded scholarships.
An indigenous liaison officer is assigned to them to help them with any cultural difficulties during the transition. They live away from home for up to 6 years, they get a good education and are provided with excellent training facilities in most cases. They play football for both the School and the Club and their progress is closely monitored and supported. At the end of schooling life they have created friends from various backgrounds, become familiar with football club processes, and more often than not are equipped with the necessary tools to make a decent career out of Rugby League.

As the AFL runs a draft system, clubs are unable to make an early investment in indigenous or rural based talent like they do in League and therefore the AFL must set up an independent Academy if they are going to stop the increasing rates of indigenous kids dropping out of the system.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1277 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
The problem with Misfuds interview is it will be pre recorded and the questions will be asked by a friendly reporter. Contrast this with Rendell's interview which was live, unscripted and the co-hosts were hostile and argessive at times. Until the AFL allows Misfud and his mate to go on Footy Classified and face the same level of scrutiny (that Rendell faced) then most footy fans will feel that Rendell was hard done by.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1278 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
The problem with Misfuds interview is it will be pre recorded and the questions will be asked by a friendly reporter. Contrast this with Rendell's interview which was live, unscripted and the co-hosts were hostile and argessive at times. Until the AFL allows Misfud and his mate to go on Footy Classified and face the same level of scrutiny (that Rendell faced) then most footy fans will feel that Rendell was hard done by.

100% spot on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1279 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »

Not with that one dimensional scrag on there.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1280 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »
They finally got around the Lids re-signing on FC tonight.

Caro said Lids was already on $500k p.a. so for the Club to retain Lids, a dual B&F, for $600k p.a. was a great get.  It was Lids and his manager that pushed for the 5 years. Free agency kicking in already with these 5 year deals (eg: Lids, Hurley). Lids is 24 so he's next contract won't come up again until he's 30.

Caro also said Lids is hardly judged because he's played in a poor side. Lyon agreed. Thomas said B&Fs won in poor teams are surely devalued. Lyon replied that some may say playing well in a poor side is harder. Thomas asked if Cotch and Martin will end up better players than Lids. Caro replied she hopes so as Lids is a good player. Thomas then added yep a good player but not yet a great player. Lyon said that may change with Lids pushing into the midfield this year.

Hutchy said Richmond has now signed up all its key players, its coaching and off-field staff and all its corporate spots. A big summer for the club. Now it's up to the team to tick the final box on Thursday night.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1281 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
At least Caro said back to Thommo what of Trevor Barker's and some of Robert Harvey's best and fairests in a poor side and Thommo said I don't rate them either. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #1282 on: March 26, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
At least Caro said back to Thommo what of Trevor Barker's and some of Robert Harvey's best and fairests in a poor side and Thommo said I don't rate them either. :lol :rollin :lol

Thommo should cut down on the scotch and macca's.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1283 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
And the obligatory Richmond Good Call/Bad Call question tonight was:

Q. Richmond are favourites to beat Carlton on Thursday night?

Caro said don't be stupid. Have you seen the odds for the game?! Carlton has won the past 8 straight against Richmond and have the best midfield in the comp. Lyon replied to Caro - 'then why have you been constantly yapping on to me about the Tiggies for the past 4 months'.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1284 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
Wonder if Garry will hit back at Thomo tonight after he gave Neeld a serving in his blog today

Mark Neeld was a school teacher and his attitude reminds me of some of the Christian Brothers I experienced at St Bede's College many years ago. All froth and bubble, threatening, dictating, my way or the highway and without a relationship bone in their body. One senses that wasn't the way he played and its not really his temperament or personality which players see through very quickly. He may very well be the first coach to lose his players before he started. His handling of the leadership group - whilst understandable and in my opinion correct - was obviously not implemented well and was done with little or no buy-in, or empowerment from the playing group..... Irrespective, it seems there is evidence of either dummy-spitting or petulance from the playing group. It is critical that players play for their coach and come to play every game - I'm not certain either party can sign off on that.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=997227&showcomments=true

Edited to remove the part that was a "rumour" and proven to be untrue which has been removed from the original article. Legal ramifications

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:30:48 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1285 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
I'm sure he will, he would also come out and say melbourne were deplorable and there's no excuses for their performance.
The real question is? Will he bash on the tigers to mask the woeful dees?? I would suggest so
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #1286 on: April 02, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
And what of Caro tonight? Will she go the hessian bag with matching bow?

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #1287 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Looking forward to the new episode of, Dookie eye for the Straight Caro.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #1288 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »

Of course you are. You got that, guy?  ;)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1289 on: April 02, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

Of course you are. You got that, guy?  ;)

Yeah good work, Davey.

Looking forward to GT tonight