Author Topic: Daniel Richardson appointed as General Manager of Football [official]  (Read 4709 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Now official ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-02-25/richardson-appointed-as-general-manager-of-football

Tigers pick a winner

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    February 23, 2013

RICHMOND looks poised to secure one of the AFL's most respected player agents, Daniel Richardson, to take over the Tigers' football department on the eve of the 2013 season.

The Tigers, who did not advertise the position, have been in talks with the 42-year-old associate director of Elite Sports Properties over the past two weeks after Craig Cameron's decision to move to a key executive role in the thoroughbred industry.

A major player in the competition's move to free agency and a close confidant of some of football's biggest names, Richardson is the son of the Tigers' three-time premiership player Barry, who also coached and briefly presided over the club.

With the club expected to announce Cameron's replacement as early as Monday, Richardson's appointment would be something of a coup for the club given his reputation as a skilled negotiator who as recently as two weeks ago was in talks with the Tigers in a bid to secure a new deal for young skipper Trent Cotchin.

Richardson was encouraged to put himself forward for the Richmond football operations position after Greg Miller's departure more than four years ago, but chose to remain at Craig Kelly's ESP, where over more than a decade he has guided the careers of players such as Brad Ottens, Brendon Goddard, Dan Hannebery and, more recently, Jobe Watson.

Richardson also sat on the Player Agents Accreditation Board, which in recent years moved to suspend Ricky Nixon - Richardson's former employer - and in January Peter Blucher. He negotiated favourable exit settlements for sacked coaching clients Matthew Knights and Mark Harvey and has also represented recently re-signed North Melbourne coach Brad Scott.

There has been speculation for some months that Richardson was looking to expand his horizons and move from player management to a club environment or possibly a position with the AFL. He is understood to have been approached by more than one club over the past six months.

He is an old Xaverian who played in six consecutive VAFA premierships alongside AFL executive Andrew Dillon; another former amateur football premiership teammate of Richardson's, Simon Lethlean, is a contender to replace Adrian Anderson at the helm of the league's football operations department.

Richardson is believed to have been in more meaningful discussions regarding his future in recent days with his friend and employer Kelly, whose stable has lured South Australian player manager Justin Reid - the son of former Crows football boss John Reid - to ESP's Melbourne headquarters.

Richardson also worked closely with Tigers chief Brendon Gale when the latter ran the AFL Players Association and is a confidant of Richmond president Gary Marc.

Neither was available for comment on Friday.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-pick-a-winner-20130222-2ex3f.html#ixzz2LeUK1TkP
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:23:59 PM by one-eyed »

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Richardson to take over the Tigers' football department (Age)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
Interesting choice if this is true.
Has no experience in any football club but is an exceptional player manager and has been a pivotal part of building the ESP business with Ned.

My view is that this a fantastic appointment, despite being a little left field because we have an absolute gun who understands players and player management.
Will need some help in running a football dept. but Benny can step I and mentor him through that aspect.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »
"has guided the career of players such as Brad Ottens". So, he helped facilitate Ottens' act of treachery did he? Nice credentials. No Neil Balme for the Tigers by the look of it then.

Rampstar

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »
"has guided the career of players such as Brad Ottens". So, he helped facilitate Ottens' act of treachery did he? Nice credentials. No Neil Balme for the Tigers by the look of it then.

Otto wanted out because we were a brothel of a football club and he wanted to get some success. He got his premiership medallions at Geelong and good luck to him. If he was at Richmond now at say 25 or 26 I doubt he would have left. We have improved as a football club these days and thats why our players are deciding to stay.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »

Otto wanted out because we were a brothel of a football club and he wanted to get some success. He got his premiership medallions at Geelong and good luck to him. If he was at Richmond now at say 25 or 26 I doubt he would have left. We have improved as a football club these days and thats why our players are deciding to stay.

If we were a brothel Ottens was working there
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:59:12 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
Now this is sort of BS I'm talking about.

Why the hell would or should Carro know about this appointment?
Is it in the clubs interest to get the story out into public domain before the appointment is finalized?

The fact that Caroline Wilson has the inside word about the club every time someone at the club has a thought about anything shows why we still need better people at the club who can keep their mouth shut. It can't be that hard can it?

The club that keeps giving.

Gigantor

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
Tigra i reckon football clubs leak more than just about anything on planet earth.It probably wouldnt matter who ran an AFL club, leaks are part of the territory, as bad and as unprofessional as this can be.
And of course theres always the deliberate leak for whatever reason.
Now Caro is a the senior sport journalist at fairfax,so her connections would be many and varied,and being the daughter of the most successful past president of RFC i wouldnt mind betting doors open for her that wouldnt open for others.
Like you i dont see this as being proper ,however it is life in todays AFL

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
Tigra i reckon football clubs leak more than just about anything on planet earth.It probably wouldnt matter who ran an AFL club, leaks are part of the territory, as bad and as unprofessional as this can be.
And of course theres always the deliberate leak for whatever reason.
Now Caro is a the senior sport journalist at fairfax,so her connections would be many and varied,and being the daughter of the most successful past president of RFC i wouldnt mind betteing doors open for her that wouldnt open for others.
Like you i dont see this as being proper ,however it is life in todays AFL
I know who her father is but it doesn't excuse why she or even her dad should know anything about what goes on inside the club.
Its unprofessional in my opinion.
The club that keeps giving.

Gigantor

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
Agreed... its unprofessional

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »

You're a lot more forgiving than I am Ramps (although, so is the Ayatollah). For me, the only consolation from the whole sorry Ottens defection saga was that at least his input into Geelong denied Collingwood a couple more Premierships.

Rampstar

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

You're a lot more forgiving than I am Ramps (although, so is the Ayatollah). For me, the only consolation from the whole sorry Ottens defection saga was that at least his input into Geelong denied Collingwood a couple more Premierships.

What can I say I am a forgiving individual  ;D

Rampstar

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »
Now Caro is a the senior sport journalist at fairfax,so her connections would be many and varied,and being the daughter of the most successful past president of RFC i wouldnt mind betting doors open for her that wouldnt open for others.

The late and great Ray Dunn would be perplexed IMHO

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
Now this is sort of BS I'm talking about.

Why the hell would or should Carro know about this appointment?
Is it in the clubs interest to get the story out into public domain before the appointment is finalized?

The fact that Caroline Wilson has the inside word about the club every time someone at the club has a thought about anything shows why we still need better people at the club who can keep their mouth shut. It can't be that hard can it?

What if her father who was a former Prez is still part of a coterie and has access to that info?
What she can't talk to her old man.
Surely you need to relax pal.
The club right now is more professional than what it has been at any time in the last 30 years.
Why hide it especially with a family day on tomorrow and the clubs first appearance for the season over. Continue on as BAU. Simple.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
This could be an inspired appointment, there wont be a player agent in the business that can pull the wool over our eyes.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
This could be an inspired appointment, there wont be a player agent in the business that can pull the wool over our eyes.

Yep and he has some great talent around to develop him in order to get overall knowledge in th e football dept.
He is a decent guy and I'm sure will be well respected.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”