Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 300774 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #870 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
Another respectable outing by Ellis and even took a nice grab running back

Have a lot of time for this bloke. Perhaps you need to widen your eyes WP.

Not sure why your having a whack Angus, I hadn't made any comment.

But I Agree with you was respectable today. Very good word that respectable.

One of his better games. Didn't pull out of any contests which makes a pleasant change.

Agree with MT though too his lack of tackling is a major worry and actually not good enough. But he is one of many that has that infliction

But I don't think we can get too carried away with today's game/result or performances. Pretty average opposition and that's being kind. It's like after the GWS game, let's not get carried away. I mean Dylan Grimes kicked a goal  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #871 on: June 28, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »
Another respectable outing by Ellis and even took a nice grab running back

Have a lot of time for this bloke. Perhaps you need to widen your eyes WP.

Not sure why your having a whack Angus, I hadn't made any comment.

But I Agree with you was respectable today. Very good word that respectable.

One of his better games. Didn't pull out of any contests which makes a pleasant change.

Agree with MT though too his lack of tackling is a major worry and actually not good enough. But he is one of many that has that infliction

But I don't think we can get too carried away with today's game/result or performances. Pretty average opposition and that's being kind. It's like after the GWS game, let's not get carried away. I mean Dylan Grimes kicked a goal  ;D
Of all the people I thought Angus would have a crack at regarding Ellis, I thought it would be me. My hate for him surely is well known  :lol
Him playing 'respectable games' against poo sides doesn't change anything in my eyes. And that goes for the lot of them.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #872 on: June 28, 2014, 10:57:38 PM »
Cotchin said Brandon Ellis, who had 36 touches after having 35 against the Swans last week, was maturing as a footballer.

“He is starting to become one of those elite players,” he said. “His ability to run is fantastic, bit he is starting to win a bit more harder ball. He is dragging the young group through.”

Source: Herald-Sun

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #873 on: June 28, 2014, 11:15:25 PM »
I had a crack because all I've heard is Ellis this Ellis that from WP. His a squib no courage.

I truly don't think his been that bad and people go on about that Gia goal in the dying minutes.

Big stuff. Why were we even in a position like that against a rabble like them, why did Liam Jones that unknown spud kick 5 goals. The guy has played 50 games and was left all alone with a veteran footy player with a smart brain.

Defensive side yep needs a lot if work but do 21 of his mates. Never stops trying and has got a good footy brain unlike some.

We nailed that Ellis selection in that draft just go and have a look at the guns picked after him.

Not getting carried away with today I actually think his been our best top 3-5 best players this year

As for you BT reckon you will learn to appreciate him much like me with. S Edwards

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #874 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Very disheartening the amount of times that Ellis looks sideways or backwards when he takes possession.

Lucky yesterday that on a number of occasions there was no option there and he was forced to go forward, often with great effect.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #875 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Al in a way I don't blame Ellis for this looking sideways business.I reckon they have been trained to create  play, by handballing ,thus players have been drilled to look around for the next handball.its crap football in my opinion but that's the reality I reckon

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #876 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
yeah, fair point. It may be that it is drilled into them. Even when Morris went for that run though the center just before half time he was instinctively looking to go sideways. Even as he was starting his run he was looking sideways, but then realised he could go straight up the guts so he pinned the ears back and was away
I wonder if he was thinking stuff you dimma, this ones going up the campaigner.

There was also one chain of backwards handballs off half back at one stage, none of which were under any pressure, where we ended up a full kick backwards, but in no better of a position. It didn't open up the play in the slightest. Thank stuff there wasnt a couple more players behind or we may have been done for rushing a point under no pressure.

I don't have a problem with a backwards disposal if it gives a player time and space, but when that player gets the time and space, what's the point of going backwards again? more so if you haven't even had a look down field but just do so instinctively.

There is just too many times when players are hand baling when they should be kicking, particularly from just outside 50. They have become masters of the one handball to many.

Is it all down to dimmas instructions?

Are the players too dumb to work things out for themselves and simply take his instructions too far?

Is dimma not being clear enough in his instructions?

Got me stuffed, anyway. :huh3
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #877 on: June 29, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
jury is out for me still.

ellis is another lacking in basic areas of the game. for afl players this is unforgivable.
i still dont see much difference between ellis and grigg. ellis has more skill.

ellis si supposed to be one of our better players yet we all lament the lack of chase the lack of tackling  the lack footy smarts with so many poor decisions. these things are basics  and ellis is poor in them so if hes supposed to be one of our better players what does it say for the rest of em.

i knoiw one thing if ellis played at fremantle he would not get a game. at fremantle lyon sets the bar in all areas, if you dont meet the standard in any are of your role you dont play.

i would realy like to know what the expectations are at richmond in this regard. and i would like to know what we do to address them. seems to me every yr the same  blokes run around making the same old mistakes with no improvement in basic deficiencies.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #878 on: June 29, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »
jury is out for me still.

ellis is another lacking in basic areas of the game. for afl players this is unforgivable.
i still dont see much difference between ellis and grigg. ellis has more skill.

ellis si supposed to be one of our better players yet we all lament the lack of chase the lack of tackling  the lack footy smarts with so many poor decisions. these things are basics  and ellis is poor in them so if hes supposed to be one of our better players what does it say for the rest of em.

i knoiw one thing if ellis played at fremantle he would not get a game. at fremantle lyon sets the bar in all areas, if you dont meet the standard in any are of your role you dont play.

i would realy like to know what the expectations are at richmond in this regard. and i would like to know what we do to address them. seems to me every yr the same  blokes run around making the same old mistakes with no improvement in basic deficiencies.

jury is out on ellis but yet your happy with the likes of A Edwards occupying a spot on the list because he fills some role

wake up and smell the coffee mate, Ellis will be a good player for our club. He has played 50 games and would take him in a heartbeat over Conca or most other names you throw up on our current list as would most other clubs.

Just on Fremantle. Dawson is averaging 1 tackle a game. Obviously tackling is an area of Lyon's game plan then.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #879 on: June 29, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
jury is out on ellis but yet your happy with the likes of A Edwards occupying a spot on the list because he fills some role

wake up and smell the coffee mate, Ellis will be a good player for our club. He has played 50 games and would take him in a heartbeat over Conca or most other names you throw up on our current list as would most other clubs.

Just on Fremantle. Dawson is averaging 1 tackle a game. Obviously tackling is an area of Lyon's game plan then.

FWIW I'd take Cocna over Ellis in a heartbeat. Why? Because I have never seen Conca pull out of a contest. Seen him improve his tackling. From where he averaged 1 a game to just on 6 a game in 2014. Ellis has gone form averaging 1 a game to 2.5 this year, sorry not good enough. Yes Conca is in the ball butchering class of 2014 but Ellis isn't because his 30 odd touches are usually predominantly short dinky kicks. We don't accept this sort of stuff from Grigg why should we say it's OK from Ellis?

Though I suppose that seeing our captain thinks the quantity is what's important with this bloke then I should too  :huh

And FWIW the reason I keep bringing up the Gia goal from round 3 is because his refusal to attack a contest cost us a game - you know when the season was still alive? It was the moment that resulted in the opposition scoring the winning goal. For a bloke that is touted as a future leader it was unacceptable

I agree with Claw; Ellis would not get a game at Freo and I don't think he get a game at Sydney, Hawthorn or Port Adelaide

Will say it again his game yesterday was respectable but let's not get carried away. It was against mediocre opposition. Let's see if he backs up next week and more importantly in a fortnight against the best team in the comp at the moment

Too many of our players beat up on the crap sides but fail to show much against decent opposition

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #880 on: June 29, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »

And FWIW the reason I keep bringing up the Gia goal from round 3 is because his refusal to attack a contest cost us a game - you know when the season was still alive? It was the moment that resulted in the opposition scoring the winning goal. For a bloke that is touted as a future leader it was unacceptable

the season was done and dusted after the elimination final last year. They thought after that day they would stroll into another finals series.

so that's it then 120 minutes of football, ellis was left one on on against an experienced player in Gia and lost out its all his fault.

lets not mention the fact yet another "potential" emerging star in Liam Jones was allowed to have his best day of his career against us, or they they were up by 8 goals or whatever it was at half time. Nope, nothing to do with that.

Nothing to do with yesterday performance,  as i have thought this for a while about him, but Ellis is a very good player and will only get better.

Once he works on his defensive game, ala heath Shaw he will turn into a very handy player and if you think he wouldn't get a game ahead of dawson then your dreaming. . Lyon gets the best out of all his players. Have a look at some of the duds he coached at stkilda. Ellis is a far better prospect than some of them.

Surely your taking the p i s s putting grigg and ellis in the same sentence. Il let that one go as a slip of the keyboard.

Gigantor

« Reply #881 on: June 29, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Please gentlemen....Grigg is in a league of his own,you cant compare him with anyone.

Ellis has  aspects to his game  that are very worrying,but I think we need to give him time to see if he can work on them.
In Concas case his decision making is diabolical..Really starting to worry whether he can improve this area.Hope he can because his ball winning ability is second to none .

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #882 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »
Conca is a soccer player.

Did he play soccer as a kid?
stuffn looks like one out there
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #883 on: June 29, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
36 possies and most of his kicks were poo. So what if you have 36 if you can't kick it
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #884 on: June 29, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
the season was done and dusted after the elimination final last year. They thought after that day they would stroll into another finals series.

so that's it then 120 minutes of football, ellis was left one on on against an experienced player in Gia and lost out its all his fault.

lets not mention the fact yet another "potential" emerging star in Liam Jones was allowed to have his best day of his career against us, or they they were up by 8 goals or whatever it was at half time. Nope, nothing to do with that.

Nothing to do with yesterday performance,  as i have thought this for a while about him, but Ellis is a very good player and will only get better.

Once he works on his defensive game, ala heath Shaw he will turn into a very handy player and if you think he wouldn't get a game ahead of dawson then your dreaming. . Lyon gets the best out of all his players. Have a look at some of the duds he coached at stkilda. Ellis is a far better prospect than some of them.

Surely your taking the p i s s putting grigg and ellis in the same sentence. Il let that one go as a slip of the keyboard.

I am not the nee who said during pre-season he had taken the next step, was showing real leadership etc That's what the club said and sorry he hasn't delivered.

I am serious about the Grigg comparison. That is how he plays when he refuses to attack contests. He stands back, he corales, he doesn't run hard defensively which is how Grigg plays. Let's hope he gets over it because it would be a waste.

As for the Bulldogs game, yes the loss was a collective effort but sugar coat it anyway you want but the fact remains he yet again didn't attack a contest, he stood back, allowed Gia first use of the ball and waited and the result of it was they scored a goal. All he had to do was make a contest, tahrs it he didn't. If any other player that you don't like eg Edwards S or Houli had done the same thing you'd be baying for their head. Apply the same rules to all players.

And no Ellis wouldn't get a game ahead of Dawson simply because they don't play the same roles/positions. Would Elois get a game ahead of Barlow, Fyfe, Hill, Mzungu, Pearce D, Pearce C, Suban, to name a few mids at FReo? Answer is no.