Author Topic: Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09: March (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2606 times)

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
Re: Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09: March (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
sounds like March responding to some pretty annoyed influential money men to me!!!!!

he knows he wouldnt survive without their support and they were none to happy with the public situation at seasons end.

Moi

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
And what would you know about how far we are towards getting a sponsor and what role March has in that operation?
I know nothing, that's why i'm asking  :wallywink

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
And what would you know about how far we are towards getting a sponsor and what role March has in that operation?
So why say March has to do something if you dont even know his involvement in it or the where the club is at in the process of it.  ??? ???
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »
Is getting sponsorship March's job?
I don't know whose job it is but thought it would be the CEO's.

Probably correct technically but it is one area where the President has the capacity and 'responsibility' to get involved in a pro-active way.  Most club presidents are well placed in business circles and have significant network resources than can be used.

Moi

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
So why say March has to do something if you dont even know his involvement in it or the where the club is at in the process of it.  ??? ???
I don't care about his involvement or where he's at, I just want a major sponsor, and sooner rather than later so we can make plans for next year.
I would have thought instead of worrying about Terry that should be his major focus.
I don't know his involvement because he hasn't elaborated on what stage where at in regard to this.
Be nice if he told the members what's happening here as well as putting to rest issues with regard to Terry
Or don't you want to know?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:49 PM »
I don't care about his involvement or where he's at, I just want a major sponsor, and sooner rather than later so we can make plans for next year.
I would have thought instead of worrying about Terry that should be his major focus.
I don't know his involvement because he hasn't elaborated on what stage where at in regard to this.
Be nice if he told the members what's happening here as well as putting to rest issues with regard to Terry
Or don't you want to know?

We're Stakeholders, not board members.  I dont see how it's our right to know what sponsors we are negotiating with as it might prejudice the discussion and then if we dont get that sponsor people start to stamp their feet at why we didnt get them and then you might be back here saying, "well why did Gary March open his mouth to begin."  :shh  ;)

Why as a Guest Speaker at the Melbourne Press Club lunch yesterday, anyone would want to hear what our negotiating status is with potential sponsors is beyond me.  We should continue to look and negotiate for the best option for a few weeks as it is doing no harm to scale far and wide for the best avenue in a time of economic difficulty.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Moi

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
What is a good timeframe then tigersalive to have a major sponsor in place?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
What is a good timeframe then tigersalive to have a major sponsor in place?

At least 1 week, probably 2, after the Grand Final so the new sponsor gets major coverage so instead of a backdrop to the Grand Final celebrations we announce it when they're looking for any big news they can get, and not long after we return to full scale training so the sponsor can get maximum coverage throughout the pre-season, the membership campaign and then with merchandise.

So depending on when all those actually start I'm not expecting an announcement until mid-October to mid-November and I'm not too fussed about when it happens, just as long as we get the right deal.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline True Thylacine

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
If it at all possible to have something positive exude from the events of the past 2 months then perhaps it has been that each of March and Wallace have discovered where their boundaries of influence and responsibility lie.  Seems to me like they now both realise that whilst neither are indispensible, the RFC needs them both and both doing what they do best.  Now is time to just get on with it.

Ox

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
March.
First he tried to execute via other persons.
stuff that up.
Then tried to be affirmative re the coaching position.
stuff that up.
Now,all he has to do is get a Major sponsor.........and he's fukcing that up as we speak.
What a jerkoff. :wallywink

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »
I don't see the big deal

1) I thought March stuffed up in a PR sense with the 5/10 comment. It might have been on his mind but he answered the question poorly.
2) I think the Miller situation could have been handled at season's end, and given that we ended up hiring from within and that we seemed to have overestimated our chance of getting Pelchen then I really do think it should have been done at the end of the season.

But here he is putting a positive spin on things, talking up Terry, talking up the list - and people are ripping him to shreds.

For me it was good stuff from March.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
"Our club's pretty stable in regards to the direction we're going and you'll see that next year. All Richmond supporters can look forward to Richmond playing in the finals for the first time in a long time."
Good for the Prez to come out showing a united front and being all positive about 2009 to shut up journos like Hutchy but geez that's a ridiculous call saying all supporters can look forward to finals given round 1 is still six months away. Leave the talk and promises indoors thanks RFC and let our footy do the talking. We're still a long way away from being a top side to be able to  promise finals  :o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »
With the benefit of hindsight March's succession plan has backfired to a large degree.  Whether you agree with the plan in the first place or not, it has been poorly executed.

1st. Get Miller off the board to eliminate any conflict of interest.  This justifiably assures Steve Wright's position as CEO, and satisfies board governance issues.

2nd. Miller's board replacement a contemporary "Richmond Interested Person" in Tony Free, who was carrying undisclosed internet forum baggage and displays all the attributes of a loose cannon.

3rd.  With Miller's position & input increasingly meaningless at board and operational level, sideline him.

4th.  The preferred replacement target(s) may have been spoken with and made the right noises, however he (they) have failed to commit, and in an attempt to force his (their) hand, Miller was sacked.  Botch-up the transition process by having the inexperienced loose cannon publicly announce targets and describe their discussions when those target(s) want discretion & confidentiality as they are in finals planning mode and don't want to burn their existing employer.  
The premature announcement shows the RFC hand whilst simultaneously drawing the existing employer out and the counter offer to the target(s) of an upgraded package and eliminates any probable 2nd & 3rd ranked candidates due to the leakage.  Farewell strategy & preferred targets.

5th.  Publicly gag the loose cannon, unsuccessfully attempt to close ranks, lick the wounds, under-rate the current coaches 2008 seasonal performance and navel gaze to 9th.

9th (again).  Continue an exhaustive (yet futile) nation-wide / best practice search to promote an internal candidate that has been "encouraged" to apply from within. Load this individual with all the responsibilities of the former Director of Football (in the last uncompromised draft for 4 years) and ensure that no recruiting replacements have been appointed in time for the draft.

10th.  After indicating that mediocrity will not be accepted, reappoint all Assistant Coaches to appease the existing head coach, and sure up the new FM's position with the coaching department.

11th.  After rightly & consistently indicating a time frame that the performance of the head coach would be subject to mid-season review, make pre-emptive noises regarding a contract extension undermining the new FM, however this extends an olive branch to the coterie's and maintain the power base of the current President.

12th.  Find a major sponsor in a hurry.

16th.  No more wooden spoons - ever !!!

I must be getting cynical jumping from 5th to 9th, but the final 5 was so long ago like a successful Richmond era.

I sincerely hope that CC is a revelation in his new role, but geez, the shifting political landscape of the RFC just does not yet lend itself to a stable and sustainable era. Hopefully there will be some form of success for Richmond, because we can ill afford to lose another generation of supporters because of the lack of on-field success.

As a "stakeholder" in the "brand", I hope that the powers that be understand that there are some 40,000 people that put their hands in their pockets to support the club, and that their self interest is not necessarily in the Richmond Football Club's interest.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Miller going was a certainty once he stepped down off the Board and became just another employee of the club. It wasn't a shock to see him fired after 6 years. It was the way it was handled and that the Board knew they were going to give Miller the flick long before they actually did that makes their actions deserve scrutiny.

When the board finally made the decision to dump Miller it was too late to get a Balme and so ill-timed (sacking Miller in the middle of a winning streak and right before the crucial Brisbane game) that the public embarrassment put other well-credentialled candidates off as the outside perception rightly or wrongly was that Richmond was unstable once again with mixed messages and policy on the run coming from the Prez and Board as well as friction between the Board and the footy department.

I hope too Cameron is the right and best man for the job but March and the rest of the Board have had a very poor past 3 months that took away publicly from the positive gains onfield during that period.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd