Author Topic: Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09: March (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2677 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09: March (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:28:29 AM »
Richmond coach Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09
Mark Robinson | September 25, 2008

RICHMOND president Gary March has given a strong indication coach Terry Wallace will be reappointed after the 2009 season.

Wallace, who will enter the fifth and final year of his contract next year, was "most likely" to be reappointed, March said yesterday.

The Tigers, under March and newly appointed head of football, Craig Cameron, will assess the performance of Wallace and his team by mid-season.

"Terry will be coaching Richmond next year, I've said that 100 times," March said.

"And most likely he will be reappointed because we're heading in the right direction.

"When we assess Terry, we discount the first two years and we reckon now we have the list that will see us play finals footy.

"And I've got no doubt he'll be able to deliver on that because he's a very good game-day coach.

"So, one, Terry has ticked the box as a game-day coach; two, he's ticked the box in development; and now the only box left to tick is, has he got the game style to take us to the next level and we think he has.

"We see Terry as the next Richmond premiership coach."

Guest speaker at a Melbourne Press Club lunch yesterday, March listed the season's highlights as:

ACHIEVING well above external expectation, but maintaining disappointment at not making the finals.

HAVING a winning percentage for the first time in the past four years (11 1/210 1/2 win-loss record).

WINNING its two games in Perth.

MATTHEW Richardson: "The Brownlow Medal would've been a crowning achievement," March said.

THE redevelopment of Punt Rd Oval.

THE development of young players.

"Some of these young players have been criticised by outsiders for not being at a certain level, particularly Brett Deledio," March said.

People expected young players to be "instant superstars", he said.

March also listed Daniel Connors, Trent Cotchin, Matt White, Shane Edwards, and defenders Kelvin Moore, Will Thursfield and Luke McGuane.

"For us as a club we are really excited about our development," he said.

The major disappointment was the accident involving Graham Polak, who will stay on the list.

March denied there was instability at the club.

"Part of the disappointment (of the year) is the perceived instability of our football club," he said.

"Our club's pretty stable in regards to the direction we're going and you'll see that next year. All Richmond supporters can look forward to Richmond playing in the finals for the first time in a long time."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24399112-19742,00.html

Moi

Re: Terry Wallace expected to stay beyond '09: March (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:33 AM »
If you achieve greater than expectations, Gary, I would reckon your year is better than a 5/10  ::)

Or if the club expected a better finish this year after finishing last then 5/10 is where we probably were at.

Either way, a mark out of 10 wasn't warranted, it's only led to people talking about Wallace and whether his future was secure.  So maybe he should look within himself and ask whether his comments led to some of the insecurity.

Maybe if he had come out and done an article like this in the first place, none of the speculation would have arisen.

When March comes up for re-election make sure everyone scrutinises him as much as our coach etc are being scrutinised and give him a mark out of 10 on his performance  ::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:22:38 AM »
If you achieve greater than expectations, Gary, I would reckon your year is better than a 5/10  ::)

Or if the club expected a better finish this year after finishing last then 5/10 is where we probably were at.

Either way, a mark out of 10 wasn't warranted, it's only led to people talking about Wallace and whether his future was secure.  So maybe he should look within himself and ask whether his comments led to some of the insecurity.

Maybe if he had come out and done an article like this in the first place, none of the speculation would have arisen.

When March comes up for re-election make sure everyone scrutinises him as much as our coach etc are being scrutinised and give him a mark out of 10 on his performance  ::)

Couldn't have said it better myself Moi, especially the bit about making these comments in the first place.

:clapping

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »

What a load of wank.  He was asked a question on the spot in the media, he tried to answer it honestly and the media turned on him like a pack of wolves when they could see it could sell Papers to beat it up and made it some kind of big story, and from then on the Tiggy Twit Train kept going in circles around the track.  The Papers could have easily accepted it for what it was and it wouldnt have been a story.

"ACHIEVING well above external expectation, but maintaining disappointment at not making the finals. "

Reads like 5/10 to me.  If all you're going to measure yourself on is external expectations for how you rate your performance instead of internal benchmarks and expectations you'll be down the drain.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »
What a load of wank.  He was asked a question on the spot in the media, he tried to answer it honestly and the media turned on him like a pack of wolves when they could see it could sell Papers to beat it up and made it some kind of big story, and from then on the Tiggy Twit Train kept going in circles around the track.  The Papers could have easily accepted it for what it was and it wouldnt have been a story.

"ACHIEVING well above external expectation, but maintaining disappointment at not making the finals. "

Reads like 5/10 to me.  If all you're going to measure yourself on is external expectations for how you rate your performance instead of internal benchmarks and expectations you'll be down the drain.
March should have been smart enough to not comment on things like that, or at the bare minimum talk the club up a little

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »

March should have been smart enough to not comment on things like that, or at the bare minimum talk the club up a little
And then get an article written writing the management is happy to be a failure as a club to make the 8 and how could they possibly rate it so high?  You're a club president so you comment, and I think 5/10 was an extremely straight bat and isn't the story it was blown up to be.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
This article is like a breath of fresh air to me admidst all the 'In-fighting' media talk of late. I've mentioned my passionate belief numerous times on this forum that we need stability if we are to continue to build upon the success we are starting to see and this article gives me hope that that stability could in fact be in place.

I hope for our club future's sake that we can maintain solidarity and unity so Richmond can finally claim permiership success on the back of hard work and a shared focus.

Stripes

Moi

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »

As Stripes says, we need to show stability, not instability.  A well thought out response to a question on our performance might have been better than giving a grade, when there's so many variables that it's unfair to judge someone's performance like that.  To have conjecture about a person is not stability.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:02 AM »
I fully support what March has said and done.

It lets everyone know that we need to perform in 09 or there gone.

pretty simple in my book. What did u all expect no finals and then March to sign him up before 09 starts.

keep him on his toes best way to go about it.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Moi

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »

pretty simple in my book. What did u all expect no finals and then March to sign him up before 09 starts.

Well March isn't performing - we need a sponsor.
He should stop worrying about others who are doing a good job and do something good himself.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »
Is getting sponsorship March's job?
I don't know whose job it is but thought it would be the CEO's.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:33 AM »
Is getting sponsorship March's job?
I don't know whose job it is but thought it would be the CEO's.
No offence  ;D but fish rots from the head

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »

Any decision on Wallace would need to be done by end of June next year so we would be in a position to source a replacement if he is to go.

Therefore the decision if not already made now will be based on how we are travelling after what 12/13 games - no guarantee of finals at that point

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »

Well March isn't performing - we need a sponsor.
He should stop worrying about others who are doing a good job and do something good himself.

And what would you know about how far we are towards getting a sponsor and what role March has in that operation?

There is no rush to announce a new sponsor yet, the 2008 AFL season isnt even done and dusted yet FFS.  We should still be looking for the best deal available and I'm sure they are.  Plenty of time left.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
No offence  ;D but fish rots from the head
Very clever. I can tell you it starts at the hair, though.  ;)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott