Author Topic: Round 20 Richmond vs Hawthorn MCG  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Round 20 Richmond vs Hawthorn MCG
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
Just watched a reply of the game.

One thing that I noticed which slightly concerns me coming in to the finals is the way Hawthorn was able to open us up when we lost possession. More so after quarter time.

Could have been due to our players pushing a little to hard to make a statement in this game, but there were times where we looked very exposed after a turnover. It is not a feeling I have had after any other game this season. Our backline structure was not as effective as it has been this season in covering those holes. Typically when we have turned the ball over this season, particularly across the half forward line, the opposition hasn't had the chance to move the ball quickly and hurt us because the defence has provided that solid zone across the back half of the field. I thought Hawthorn showed a lot of forward run at times in this game, and there seemed to be a lot more space for them to run in to.

Hopefully it is either just an aberration or just me being overly pessimistic, and not a sign that the opposition are finding a weakness in our game plan.
No I think that's a reasonable observation. I've been concerned with exactly that all season. I thought even Carlton exposed us rd one with counter plays.

First half of the Collingwood game too. Hand balled their way out of traffic and exposed us badly but couldn't capitalise