Author Topic: Changes for next week against the Saints?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Changes for next week against the Saints?
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2024, 05:47:53 PM »
Can't take the opinions of anyone who expects a ruckman to be of AFL standard at the age of 23 seriously....the Maddens & NicNats of the world are the exceptions not the rule... :shh

Nankervis was 22 until August 2017 when he helped us with a flag.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2024, 05:52:21 PM »
Exception not the rule though Andy. Most are crap early IMO.

What was Gawn like?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2024, 06:07:00 PM »
Can't take the opinions of anyone who expects a ruckman to be of AFL standard at the age of 23 seriously....the Maddens & NicNats of the world are the exceptions not the rule... :shh
No but at the very least you would expect them to at least compete and not get shoved around like a girl when at the level.
You would at the least expect them to make at worst some sort of decent contribution when at the level.
 You would expect some sort of progressive improvement each year to be shown at the level it has not happened.

Can't take the opinion of people seriously who cannot see these things.

At least we know we will get at least a contest if we played Naismith instead of both Kosi and Ryan.
If people think Ryan is a future key forward then more fool them. How about he actually performs as one first before you call him the next big thing.

Don’t recall Dio calling Ryan the “next big thing”

Not like you to put words in people’s mouths clawski

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2024, 06:47:05 PM »

Nankervis was never a great ruckman in the pure sense and plenty of ordinary rucks of all ages have won flags...hell our second ruck that year was Grigg.... :shh

No but at the very least you would expect them to at least compete and not get shoved around like a girl when at the level.
You would at the least expect them to make at worst some sort of decent contribution when at the level.
 You would expect some sort of progressive improvement each year to be shown at the level it has not happened.

At least we know we will get at least a contest if we played Naismith instead of both Kosi and Ryan.
If people think Ryan is a future key forward then more fool them. How about he actually performs as one first before you call him the next big thing.

Also don't recall saying he was future key forward.... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2024, 07:20:58 PM »

What was Gawn like?

At 23 he played 13 games for the year, averaged 37 hitouts and got 4 brownlow votes for the year.

The following year at 24 he played all 22 games and recorded 928 hitouts.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2024, 09:18:44 PM »

What was Gawn like?

At 23 he played 13 games for the year, averaged 37 hitouts and got 4 brownlow votes for the year.

:thumbsup

great, so next year the great man Ryan will collect 928 hitouts.

beauty.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2024, 12:23:28 AM »
Problem with Ryan is his contest work is very poor for someone his size. I’m sure he has but I honestly can’t remember a contested mark of his off the top of my head. You could excuse his efforts at ground level given his giraffe like build, but if he can’t take a mark against opposition that he stands a foot clear of, he isn’t much use at the moment.

Plenty of other players would get called soft if they went into contests the way Ryan goes in at the moment.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2024, 01:06:48 AM »

What was Gawn like?

beauty.

I'm worried he won't get that in his career but I like your optimism

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2024, 09:11:08 AM »
Rather Ryan 100 times over Kosie. His form has been poor.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »
Rather Ryan 100 times over Kosie. His form has been poor.

Me too, just depends on whether we want to go with 2 talls or 3.

I'm open to trying 3 and subbing 1 out if it's not working.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM »

What was Gawn like?

beauty.

We pick Ryan, put all this work in, wait for him to mature and don’t give him a go, absurd.
He should be played in front of Kosii and Naismith.

He needs to be played

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2024, 10:15:17 AM »

What was Gawn like?

beauty.

We pick Ryan, put all this work in, wait for him to mature and don’t give him a go, absurd.
He should be played in front of Kosii and Naismith.

He needs to be played

I have agreed with this previously.

Naismith is the Nank backup, and Nank isn't a forward's a-hole.

We need to see if Ryan is going to make it or not.

The only question for me is do we bring in both Ryan + Kosi for Lynch + Balta and continue with the 3 tall approach, or bring in just Ryan and go with 2 talls only (assuming Lefau is holding his spot).

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2024, 10:33:23 AM »
I know it's early days but Kosi looks like he has nfi.

Play Ryan

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2024, 11:08:10 AM »

Nankervis was never a great ruckman in the pure sense and plenty of ordinary rucks of all ages have won flags...hell our second ruck that year was Grigg.... :shh

Sometimes you have to get down to other peoples level.

So he's not a ruckman and hes not a fwd. ::)

Bottom line is like many people i don't think  he is anywhere near ready for either role based on what we have seen to date at the level.
He is not Physically ready people are sick of seeing him get pushed out of contests like a light weight. Your big on not playing anyone who does not contribute yet when its a favorite that all changes. A real lack of consistency.

atm do we play Ryan and Koschitzke who will both likely make little to no contribution based on performances or do we play Naismith who will give Nankervis a good chop out and the two will at the least compete in the air.

Naismith has also been in our best players every week. Aged  17 or 40 at some stage you need to reward that form.

If we had a young player playing great footy and physically ready then sure play him but we don't.
If Ryan strings 4 or 5 games together where he shows he no longer is easily pushed aside by big opponents and he starts dragging down contested marks then sure play him and find out where he is at at AFL level.
At least make him show these things consistently at the lower level.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2024, 11:20:19 AM »

Sometimes you have to get down to other peoples level.

So he's not a ruckman and hes not a fwd. ::)

Bottom line is like many people i don't think  he is anywhere near ready for either role based on what we have seen to date at the level.
He is not Physically ready people are sick of seeing him get pushed out of contests like a light weight. Your big on not playing anyone who does not contribute yet when its a favorite that all changes. A real lack of consistency.

atm do we play Ryan and Koschitzke who will both likely make little to no contribution based on performances or do we play Naismith who will give Nankervis a good chop out and the two will at the least compete in the air.

Naismith has also been in our best players every week. Aged  17 or 40 at some stage you need to reward that form.

If we had a young player playing great footy and physically ready then sure play him but we don't.
If Ryan strings 4 or 5 games together where he shows he no longer is easily pushed aside by big opponents and he starts dragging down contested marks then sure play him and find out where he is at at AFL level.
At least make him show these things consistently at the lower level.

Ryan is playing well in the VFL. I know Naismith is a better ruck but if Nank is fit I wouldn't be playing all 3.

And I agree re: physicality.

IMO most of it is mental - you're either mentally tough or not, the physical stuff is secondary to that. Plenty of wiry built guys have been dangerous in the past.

Ryan isn't going to stack on 10kg suddenly in his mid-20's and start pushing blokes around. He plays like Jane now and IMO probably always will because he doesn't have the c-word in him.