Author Topic: Draft "Who" in Pre Season  (Read 5500 times)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Draft "Who" in Pre Season
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
who will we draft in the Pre Season

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Draft "Who" in Pre Season
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:07:45 AM »
I'm hoping it's a 17 year old who didn't get picked up in the draft but we believe may end up say a top 20 pick next year. Maybe a young tall like Luke Thompson who is bottom-age and so can't be picked up in the rookie draft.

I guess the other option is to go with another recycle player - Cockshell - a 198cm tall who could be used as a back-up ruckman.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:47:57 AM »
Here's a few that weren't drafted that clubs will be interested in......

TOM ALLWRIGHT - midfielder, Tassie Mariners, Tas.
DOB: 15/6/90 Ht: 185cm Wt: 83kg
"Tom's from North Hobart footy dub and he's a very strong bodied midfielder who comes from a rowing background. Very good overhead and very good at clearances. Played senior footy for North Hobart and also made his debut in the VFL with the Devils:" - Tassie Mariners coach Andrew Mello.   .
TAS rep 2008. From North Hobart FC.

ADAM COCKIE - Subiaco
DOB: 19yo Ht: 180cm Wt: 84kg
"Adam won the Jack Clarke Medal for best and fairest in the Colts last year and this year played just about every game in the senior side and also played state footy for WA. Pound for pound he is the hardest footballer playing in the WAFL at the moment. Just a tough, tough midfielder who is a tackling machine. Perhaps lacks a yard of pace but has great lateral movement and a great push-off. Just physically strong and I know Richmond and Essendon are keen:" Subiaco Colts coach Tim Gossage

LANCE DALY - tall forward, Swan Districts, WA.
DOB: 26/4/91 Ht: 191cm Wt: 78kg
"Lance is just a freak up forward. He catches the ball really well, he's got a great ability at ground level for a player of his size and kicked a lot of goals for us this year. Played well for WA and we expect he'd feature somewhere in the draft given his size and ability to hold down a key position." - Swan Districts football manager Matt Peach
WA rep 2008. From Midvale FC

MATTHEW DEBOER - midfielder, Claremont, WA.
DOB: 10/3/90 Ht: 187cm Wt 85kg
"Matt played the whole year in the senior side apart from the time he was playing with the state side at the national carnival. He's an onballer/wingman who finds a lot of the footy, runs and carries it well, is a strong mark... he's just a ball magnet. Skills can let him down a little bit at times but he is a really hard worker. He was vice-captain of WA this year:" - Claremont football manager Steve Calder
WA rep 2008. All Australian 2008. From Swanbourne FC

A prolific ball winner, Matthew is a medium midfielder noted for fearless attack on the ball. He runs hard for his team and has strong hands overhead. Matthew was the second ranked player overall for disposals at the Under 18 Championships and was also prominent in the clearances and inside 50 rankings. He averaged 20 possessions
and four inside 50s per match. One of Western Australia’s shining lights in their shock loss to Vic Country, Matthew
gathered 23 disposals and six marks, pumping the ball six times into the forward 50. Playing senior football with Claremont in 2008, he was a key cog in the midfield averaging 17 possessions per match. He was at his most influential in Round 12 against Swan Districts gathering 25 touches and four marks. With outstanding results in the repeat sprints, the 20-metre sprint and 3km time trial, Matthew demonstrated excellent athletic attributes at the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra - Kevin Sheehan's top 30.

STEVEN GAERTNER - Dandenong Stingrays
DOB: 2/1/90 Ht: 198cm Wt: 88kg
"Steven's a quick rebounding defender who had a really good on for us. He went to draft camp last year but didn't get picked up as a rookie. He got a kickin the bum early in the year when didn't get selected for the state team after training with the squad. Put some good games together and got back into the Vic Metro team so that was credit to him. I really thought he developed as the year unfolded playing half back and centre half back. His speed for that size is unmatched at TAC Cup level I reckon:" - Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats

MICHAEL GUGLIOTTA - tall defender, Nightcliff, NT.
DOB: 26/6/90 Ht: 194cm Wt: 82kg
"Michael was probably a prototype player for the AFL a couple of years ago when they put him in the AIS-AFL Academy. I guess he's been a little bit slow to develop to his full potential and he's still got a lot of improvement left in him. He's a good size, very athletic and he's got really good closing speed. Performed well in the sprints, repeat sprints at the draft camp and he was also top 10 in the time trial. Any club that takes him will look for him to play wing and running halfback with an eye to developing him into a key defender. He's someone who's got the pace and endurance to shut down the high-engine forwards down the track. Skills are OK and he's improved a lot in his contested ball. He might slip through the draft and go as a rookie where someone can put plenty of time into him:" AFL/NT game development and talent manager Jarrod Chipperfield
AIS-AFL Academy graduate 2007. From Nightcliff FC .

KADE KLEMKE - medium defender, Murray Bushrangers, Vic.
DOB: 15/7/90 Ht: 180cm Wt: 78kg
"Kade was our captain and is a really strong, hard working, reliable half-back flanker who does most things pretty well. Kicks the ball really well, takes a good overhead mark, has a strong body, is hard at it, sweeps across halfback and reads the play. Once again he can get ahead of himself at times as a sweeper in terms of attacking before he defend, but is just a really, good solid player who I think should be able to play at AFL level:" - Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn.
NSW/ACT rep 2008. All Australian 2008. From Culcairn FC

SAM McGARRY - medium-defender, Sandringham Dragons, Vic.
DOB: 21/4/90 Ht: 186cm Wt: 77kg
"Sam's quick and was probably our biggest improver this year playing in the midfield. Has a good motor and wins a lot of his own footy because he runs both ways." - Sandringham Dragons manager Wayne Oswald
Vic Metro rep 2008. From St Peter's FC

CLANCEE PEARCE - medium defender, Swan Districts, WA.
DOB: 23/10/90 Ht: 183cm Wt: 85kg
"Clancee won WA's player of the under-18 carnival and was named captain of the WAFL Colts' team of the year. He shows great composure whenever he gets the ball and is very poised off half back. Has a strong ability to read the play and showed that all year for the Colts with his rebound off the half-back line:" - Swan Districts football manager Matt Peach
WA rep 2008. All Australian 2008. From Noranda JFC.

TOM ROCKLlFF - medium forward, Murray Bushrangers, Vic.
DOB: 22/2/90 Ht: 183cm Wt: 83kg
"Tom is an interesting one. He was the leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup with 59 goals and won our best and fairest. He's not big, not quick, not athletic, he hasn't got super endurance, he's just an absolute natural footballer who tends to see things half a second before others see them. In other words, he'll take himself to the right spot just a bit quicker than what others do and that's a gift. It's a natural thing you can't coach. He's a very good one-an-one contested mark at TAC Cup level, but atAFL level that will be more of a challenge for him. The typical small forward at AFL level these days usually has blistering speed, but Tommy hasn't got that speed so that will be the challenge for him. But, Tom always seems to find a way. Whenever he's been asked to step up, he did. He badly broke his ankle at under-16 level and he hasn't really been able to do a full pre­season. He kicked his three and four goals a game at the national carnival to underline his ability to rise to every challenge. He's as footy smart a boy as I've ever coached. " - Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn
Vic Country rep 2008. From Benalla FC.

Tom is a smart and creative medium forward who has drawn comparisons to another former Bushranger - Geelong Norm Smith Medallist Steve Johnson – for his uncanny ability around goals. He is a proven goal-kicker who excels in a one-on-one contest and is capable of rotating through the midfield. A Premiership (the Murray Bushrangers first since 1998), a Best and Fairest Award and Team of the Year honours capped off an impressive year for Tom in the TAC Cup. He was the competition’s leading goal kicker with a total of 59 - 18 clear of his nearest rival - and averaged 23 possessions per match. He was also top 10 ranked for contested marks. On eight occasions he booted four or more goals in a match including a bag of eight against the Sandringham Dragons in round 13 and four in the Bushrangers’ Grand Final triumph at Telstra Dome. Tom represented Vic Country at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, again proving dangerous up forward ranking second overall for goals and leading the carnival in the score assists. His ability to win the hard ball and take contested marks was a highlight of his game. He was at his best in the carnival opener against Vic Metro at the MCG booting four goals and laying five tackles. - Kevin Sheehan's top 30

CHARLlE SHARPLES - medium forward, Darwin, NT.
DOB: 16/2/89 Ht: 180cm Wt: 74kg
"Charlie didn't get to the draft camp because he was playing in the SANFL reserves grand final for Sturt. Had a great season because he played some senior footy for Sturt, for Northern Territory in the under ­18s and also for the SANFL team that beat Victoria. He is a small forward who can play midfield and he's got pretty good pace. One of his best attributes is that he will run and chase blokes down and AFL clubs like that in a small forward. I reckon he is just as good as Cameron Stokes and he played plenty of senior footy for Hawthorn this year. He might not be as skilled as someone like Cyril Rioli but he's got a bit of grunt and mongrel in him. He likes to use his body and he likes the physical stuff:" - AFL/NT game development manager Jarrod Chipperfield

JAMIE SHEAHAN - midfielder, Murray Bushrangers, Vic.
DOB: 11/8/90 Ht: 178cm Wt: 73kg
"We only had Jamie for seven or eight games because of his school commitments (he captained Assumption College to its Herald Sun Shield win) and he had a fantastic year for them. He played the first three or four games with us and was pretty good, but then having missed a big patch of games in the middle because of school, when he came back it took him time to get back into sync with our kids. Then he got injured and didn't play in the preliminary final after being really poor in the first final. We had a big decision to make whether to bring him back in for the grand final, but we did and he played a solid game. A small forward who goes through the midfield and knows where the goals are. Has good pace without being Brent Harvey quick, but needs to work on his kicking and his accountability. He's probably played a lot of footy as the main man and when it comes down to being accountable he needs to work on it. He seems to one they are all interested in:" - Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn
Vic Country rep 2008. From Mansfield FC.

CASEY SIBOSADO - Tall defender, Oakleigh Chargers/Northern Territory, Thunder.
 DOB: 13/10/90 Ht: 191cm Wt: 85kg
"Casey's a tall boy who originally hails from Broome but was boarding at Xavier College the past couple of years. He played national championships footy for Northern Territory this year and did well. Plays predominantly as a tall marking forward but could also play back. Kicked five goals against the Murray Bushrangers in Round 19, which was easily his best game for the season. Very quick and a beautiful kick of the footy:" - Oakleigh Chargers region manager Stephen Conole
NT rep 2008. From Xavier College.

LUKE THOMPSON - Geelong Falcons
 DOB: 8/2/91 Ht: 192cm Wt: 85kg
"Luke's a six-foot four kid who plays key position but can also play wing. He played state footy this year and I reckon he's an outstanding prospect. He's a 17 -year-old but because of Gold Coast coming in next year I think someone might take him late in the draft rather than wait until next year when he might be a top 20 pick." - Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner

ADAM VARCOE - medium forward, Central Districts, SA.
DOB: 31/12/90 Ht: 184cm Wt: 64kg
"Adam plays a similar game to his brother Travis at Geelong. He injured his knee during the pre­season and had a knee reconstruction at the start of the year. Despite that he's come a long way in the past few years. He's a wiry type with good pace and importantly is a good finisher. During the state under-18s trials early in the year he played some very good footy and made some huge improvements:" ­Central Districts development manager Scott Stevens

Inside football has a heap more here  amongst those that were drafted:
http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=8194.0
http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=8192.0

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »
Luke Thompson would have to be a chance. Charlie Sharples fills a gap in our list. I believe that we should have taken a bottom aged player in the draft and we didnt do it. The PSD is a good chance to take a kid like Thompson imho.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »
See new topic Tom Rockliff

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »
Not many midfielders in that bunch. This was really a year of talls wasn't it.

I would like us to pick up a few of young midfielders in the rookie draft alone with another ruck. Not long a go we were light on talls and rucks but after now looking at our list I see we may need some more quality mids to add to the mix.

I must say the recruiters have done a good job adding depth to our list all across the ground. We just need some of them to make that next step now.

Stripes

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »
Not many midfielders in that bunch. This was really a year of talls wasn't it.

I would like us to pick up a few of young midfielders in the rookie draft alone with another ruck. Not long a go we were light on talls and rucks but after now looking at our list I see we may need some more quality mids to add to the mix.

I must say the recruiters have done a good job adding depth to our list all across the ground. We just need some of them to make that next step now.

Stripes

Like Casey Sibosoda(sic) and Thompson would be great, bottom aged player, hopefully get get some good kids and not too many recycles in the rockie draft

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
See new topic Tom Rockliff

He got a bit of a write up in today's HUN about being very unlucky
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
On SEN before 7pm they had Matt Burgan on reviewing the draft and some caller rang in and said we have 16 kids down at Punt Rd yesterday testing them out and the number was wilted down to 5. I think the caller said one of the kids who he was a big wrap for was Tom Simpkin.

TOM SIMPKIN - tall defender, Geelong Falcons, Vic.
DOB: 7/8/90 Ht: 190cm Wt: 81kg
"He's the brother of Jonathan (formerly at Sydney) but is much taller and can play both in defence or on a wing. A strong draft chance because of his versatility. Played every game for Vic Country this year and did well. He's struggled with shin splints all year but there is a lot of development in him:" - Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner
Vic Country rep 2008. From Colac FC.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
Anyone know why they dropped off Deboer was tipped to go high in the draft.

With hindsight I mentioned to somebody that we should try to trade for developing players from other sides as they would not have the value they should have because of the suposably strong draft, guess we did that with 2 that were picked in the top 20 of their draft year. I hear Hislop was going to be picked by the Bombers  as they thought they would teach him a lesson.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
I hear Hislop was going to be picked by the Bombers  as they thought they would teach him a lesson.

Hopefully Sloppy teaches them a lesson laced with pain next year

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Anyone know why they dropped off Deboer was tipped to go high in the draft.

With hindsight I mentioned to somebody that we should try to trade for developing players from other sides as they would not have the value they should have because of the suposably strong draft, guess we did that with 2 that were picked in the top 20 of their draft year. I hear Hislop was going to be picked by the Bombers  as they thought they would teach him a lesson.
Hislop continued to train with the Bombers for about a week or so after he was delisted but then was told he wasn't going to be re-drafted by the Bombers.

Deboer's suspect kicking apparently turned clubs off picking him up in the National draft.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
Luke Thompson - hopefully!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »
I like the look of Simpkin.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »
Here's some youtube video of Simpkin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VKDf1ct3A