Author Topic: Matthew McDonough [merged]  (Read 31557 times)

Rampstar

Re: Pick 42: Matthew McDonough
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »
so who are the "genuine" mids they overlooked?

I'm assuming there must have been someone overlooked who has more than a couple of near 40 possession games?
:lol

I actually had a look for genuine mids that went after him in the draft. There is zero, zilch, nil whatever else you want to say. Certainly no one who won as much of the footy as McDonough when played as a mid, nor as damaging elsewhere on the ground, nor having the dual sided skills of McDonough.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »
Big Gay Al shootin fire.  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »
makes a change from blanks, i suppose.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
We should have picked the next Brownlow medalist!  Straight out of Frankston, it's Kyle Martin!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
We should have picked the next Brownlow medalist!  Straight out of Frankston, it's Kyle Martin!

Yeah but anything picked up from Frankston has to go through Quarantine.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
and would probably be incinerated rather than released into the public
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:15 PM »
57. Gold Coast

McDonough does not fit the profile for a Clayton pick in the slightest but they could honestly do a lot worse here. GC need some goal kicking help and McDonough can give them that working off of some of the guys they will have up forward.

Matthew McDonough
DOB: 24/1/94 Ht: 180 Wt: 84

McDonough is one guy it would be easy to see fall in this draft because he is a forward who is a bit short, a bit chunky and not particularly athletic. He reminds me a lot of Tom Rockliff in his draft year. Rockliff played primarily as a forward and did it exceptionally well including starring with Sidebottom in the TAC GF but his non-traditional body shape and athleticism counted against him and he was overlooked in the ND. It is not out of the question that this could happen again with McDonough although I think someone is likely to take a punt on him.

McDonough lead SA in goals at the Champs both this year and last. After Menzel went down this year McDonough was very impressive averaging 18.4 disposals and 3.4 goals per game. The fact that he was not as prolific in the SANFL reserves and under 18s probably won’t help him. He did play a variety of positions in the SANFL competitions but he was still mostly up forward. He had 9 games in each of the reserves and under 18s. He averaged only 11.1 disposals per game in the under 18s but despite the low numbers was named in the best 6 times in his 9 games (as well as once in the ressies.

At the start of his career I expect McDonough to continue to play in a forward pocket. He is a very smart footballer and whilst I think it might take him a while to compensate for the increased size, strength and pace of AFL defenders I think he will get there. He is not a one trick pony up forward and can mix it up between leading, body on body contests and crumbing depending on what is going to work. He might struggle to be effective on the lead at AFL level as he is not particularly quick and is not able to get much separation even at junior level. He is nippy off the mark but not really anything more than that and the closing speed of most defenders will trouble him.

At the moment McDonough does tend to use his body quite a lot to create marking opportunities. He has a pretty powerful build which he used well at junior level to hold his position and protect the drop zone. He judges the ball very nicely in the air and has a nice set of hands. He does perhaps use his strength a bit much but if it is effective I can understand him wanting to continue to use it. His crumbing work is usually first class. He works to get the classic front and centre position when the big guys fly and he gets himself low to collect. He has really clean hands with the ball on the deck and is a pretty good snap of the ball getting foot to ball pretty quick. His goal sense is very good.

Kicking is a strength of McDonough and with his clean hands are the primary reasons why many people, myself included, see his future at AFL level probably lying up the ground. He is good off either foot and is an elite deliverer of the ball into 50. He is capable of punching it in there when needed but he also weights it nicely into space to draw the man onto it. On his non-preferred he is also a pretty good field kick and is reasonably accurate snap with his left as well. He tends to wave the ball around a bit on his approach to his set shot but he is an accurate kick and is good from 50 (probably not much more than that).

McDonough has played a bit through the midfield and down back this year and has shown some proficiency in the middle of the ground. He needs to get a lot fitter to make a permanent move into the middle of the ground but I could very much see that happening after a couple of preseasons spent building his engine. He could be a Chapman or Rockliff type who are pretty solid guys who are very effective in the middle of the ground and dangerous when they are resting up front. He can win clearances and works in traffic well. Quite a bit of work would need to be put into his positioning around the ground as well as the defensive aspects of playing through the midfield (as well as up forward now that I think it) but there could be a significant pay off.

Overall if a team picked McDonough that would be getting a very smart footballer who falls a little outside the mould of what a footballer should be in the current game. Notwithstanding that I do think he has a good chance to be effective if someone takes a punt on him.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2012-mock.980920/

Rampstar

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
I  havent been the biggest supporter of McDonough but for me what has to happen with him is that he should be put into the midfield for Coburg for the first 12 months. Needs to develop a tank and he needs to develop an want for hard work and work rate. Run run run should be his mantra in the first 12 months. He can play football but if he thinks he is just gonna sit in a forward pocket and do as he pleases at AFL level its not going to work out well. The club picked him now they need to develop him and as I said they need to get him to develop a tank so he can run through the midfield.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
Turned 19 yesterday  :birthday

McDonough was training with the forwards group on Friday btw Ramps.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/295113325858131968/photo/1

Rampstar

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
I hope he works really hard and makes it. Would be a massive bonus if he comes up trumps. Good luck to the kid.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
I hope he works really hard and makes it. Would be a massive bonus if he comes up trumps. Good luck to the kid.

Yes agree, certainly looks the goods.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »

Is he a great player and do you hope he has a good year?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »

Not yet......but wait for it!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

TigerTimeII

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »

is he a great player??? wow he must have played many awesome games , but i must have been in a coma cos i dont recall any