Author Topic: Matthew McDonough [merged]  (Read 31484 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: McDonough to make his debut today
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
During the finals, I would rather a team of senior bodied experienced players over first games every day of the week. Players like McDonough and McBean do need to earn their games but not at the expense of players who are performing. McBean may get a game this week because Jack could drop out of the side but I wouldn't play him over McGuane during the finals - his inexperience and size would be exploited by the opposition.

I'm happy McDonough got a taste of the big time to motivate him going forward but I don't believe he should get another game this year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
McBean may get a game this week

Highly unlikely Stripes reports out of the VFL game yesterday is he has a suspected broken ankle

Scans today
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
McBean may get a game this week

Highly unlikely Stripes reports out of the VFL game yesterday is he has a suspected broken ankle

Scans today

Murphy's law  :-[ Will have to wait until next year now

the claw

« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
Thank god I thought I was the only one confused. Think Claw needs to go back and read all of it
apologies . yes it was more jumbled than usual. :o

all i said was. why not reward good seconds form? both mcdonough and mcbean had excellent form in the twos.
we still need to get games into young blokes we think can take us forward.

i used brodie grundy as an example.  had little pre season but showed a bit in the twos and look what has happened just by rewarding him with a game.
surely mcbean getting games if hes showing a bit is a priority over playing hacks like mcguane.  luke  really should have been delisted yrs ago.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
I think you misunderstood my post though Claw although apology accepted  :thumbsup.

I agree with you they both deserve a crack. I took a snippet from a post that said McDonough didn't deserve his shot because the hype wasn't justified but then went to say he rather see McBean play. My point was you can't expect a 1st year player to come in and have an immediate impact (there are a few that have and there will be more but most times it isn't the case). I've said McDonough at least deserves next week against GWS as well because he'll be better for it and I'm all for McBean coming in when the coaches see fit (won't be soon it looks like  :().

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »
By the looks of it his kicking isn't one of his assets.

lol. Joking aren't you?
Looks highly skilled on either foot.
Purely based on what I seen on saturday. Haven't seen him play before then.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
By the looks of it his kicking isn't one of his assets.

lol. Joking aren't you?
Looks highly skilled on either foot.
Purely based on what I seen on saturday. Haven't seen him play before then.

Think the increase in game tempo threw his kicking off

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Matthew McDonough [merged]
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
In a new off-season series on richmondfc.com.au, Richmond’s VFL coach Tim Clarke provides an exclusive insight into the 2013 performance and future prospects of a group of young Tigers, who played predominantly under his coaching guidance at Coburg this year. 

First-up, he takes a look at Matt McDonough . . .

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-15/matt-mcdonough-in-focus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
VIDEO:  McDonough's plan for 2014 ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-01-08/mcdonoughs-plan-for-2014

----------------------------------------------------------

Richmond youngster Matt McDonough has a simple goal for the 2014 season – play more senior football.

“As a small forward, I just have to be tackling all day, and at training I have to be standing out in that regard,” McDonough told Roar Vision.

“You watch Jake King and his defensive work inside 50.  That’s what I have to get to if I want to play that position.

“If you don’t tackle, you don’t play these days.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-08/mcdonough-eyes-senior-spot

Rampstar

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
needs to get quicker otherwise it could be a long road ahead.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
He's still fairly fat. 1-5 games this year and continue to trim down to hopefully have an impact in 2015.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
VIDEO:  McDonough's plan for 2014 ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-01-08/mcdonoughs-plan-for-2014

----------------------------------------------------------

Richmond youngster Matt McDonough has a simple goal for the 2014 season – play more senior football.

“As a small forward, I just have to be tackling all day, and at training I have to be standing out in that regard,” McDonough told Roar Vision.

“You watch Jake King and his defensive work inside 50.  That’s what I have to get to if I want to play that position.

“If you don’t tackle, you don’t play these days.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-08/mcdonough-eyes-senior-spot
geez i hope the kid isnt useing king as a role model.
ive really gotta ask what tackles does kingy lay in a game.
 i understand the love for toughness and  aggresion but it has to be backed up with something tangible. surely all forwards today have to tackle well and apply pressure by simply chasing and harassing.
what i dont understand is why we persist with players like king who are just plain poor outside of the two things mentioned.

even the things hes supposed to do well hes over rated. tackling for instance. he laid just 2.2 tackles a game which is deplorable for a bloke who barely touches the ball 10 times a game  and whose sole role in fact the only role he can perform is as a defensive sml forward.

i havent compared him to other sml forwards but i would bet nearly every other club has  small/med  forward   who kicks more goals  on ave. lays more tackles and wins more ball. id say most other sml forwards at other clubs are flexible enough even rotate thru the middle of the ground.
kingy is not only a very limited player but limits the team in many ways.

while we all love the way he goes about it and he is one of few who will stand up for his mates we just have to be better than jake. we must find forwards who will tackle and chase etc that should be a given. but we need forwards who have good skills a bit of class and are flexible.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
strange rant.
it reads as if mcdonut wants to take kings spot but we get a rant about needing to replace king ?

do you truly believe that to be a role model you must be highly skilled?

King is a bloke that has probably more played more AFL football than he should have. He has milked every last drop of what limited talent he has, through hard work.

What more do you want out of a role model?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
I'll just go and pick one of those ideal small forwards from the tree out the back

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
I'll just go and pick one of those ideal small forwards from the tree out the back

It's no wonder Coburg did so well last year with all those gun goal kicking small forwards that couldn't get a game because of Jake King.