Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 272313 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #1605 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
Lol

Gazza lives to bag us
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1606 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Lyon wondered if the captaincy is getting to him as is 3 losses on the trot.

Did they talk about how Jack Trengove is handling the captaincy  :lol

6 disposals, 2 marks and 3 tackles for the game  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1607 on: May 27, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
Lyon and Hutchy said they are going to discuss tonight "if Richmond are flat track bullies".

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #1608 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »
Hutchy needs to STFU with his "they're gonna make the 8" "they'll finish 6th or 7th"

hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1609 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Lyon started off saying the poor skills of years past reared their ugly head again on Saturday night when you thought Richmond were past that.

Lloyd said if you stop Houli delivering the ball out of the backline and put pressure on their defence, you know Richmond will continually turn the ball over. Close down Deledio and you beat Richmond. As an opposition you would have loved to have seen Deledio's reaction earlier in the year to a tag.

They then put up a graphic of Lids, Cotch, Dusty and Jack's average numbers when we win and when we lose. Effectively the 3 mids have 6 less possies per game (26 -> 20) and Jack's goal output is halved (5 -> 2.3) when we lose. Lloyd said Richmond can't win without all of their top 4 players playing well. That's a reflection that their list isn't good enough yet.

They asked the question whether with our trades we've created a list that can finish 8th rather than one that can win a flag? Lyon said you've got to learn to crawl before you can walk. Many a club has made the mistake of jumping too high (ed. reckon he was thinking of his own Dees).

Hutchy still believes with our draw we'll finish 6th or 7th. Lloyd doesn't see us playing finals with Caro basically in agreement saying Saturday night was a major step back for Richmond. She said as a Richmond supporter you'd be bitterly disappointed. The dreamtime game was set up for Richmond with a record crowd, $$$ for the club and all but sadly Richmond on the big stage again were tentative and terrible. They got smashed in the midfield [they showed clip after clip of us being outmuscled and out-contested off the ball]. Caro added that Jack Riewoldt looked like he was up for a big game but they just didn't get the ball down to him enough. Instead of going forward quickly to Jack, the Tigers went sideways and backwards.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1610 on: May 28, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »
Can't disagree with any of that.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1611 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »
Especially about our "entry" (and I use that term loosely) into our forward 50  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1612 on: May 28, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
Didn't take the game on. Too scared to make mistakes. Reason for this was simple - the players who were 'allowed' to get the ball (weren't tagged into submission) were either new to the club and trying not to make mistakes and thus keep their spots in the team or were poor ball users. So as a result they continually chose the safe option instead of taking the risk of running it down the middle and create overlap.

I disagree about the trades. Critics keep pointing to this decision whenever we lose a game. The facts remain that these players cost us nothing and are for depth/backup only. The only exceptions to this are/were Chaplin and Knights who again cost us nothing. What did we lose by getting these players - no a thing.

Some people are suggesting that they are taking the place of a young player. I would say that they are only taking 'their spot' until they force them out of it with good form. Most of our young talent are either still too undeveloped and should not be rushed in. Others are only just performing and are not knocking down any doors yet. In the case of these players, give them a chance when a spot opens up but not just because they are young - sends a bad message. Spots should be earned and retained with good form not promise.

Other than that I have to agree with everything else they said unfortunately.  :'(

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1613 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
The issue for me Stripes is Arnot and Helbig have actually had better form than Lonergan. What kind of message is that for those 2 guys? They are both big enough to look after themselves at AFL level. What are the chances Petterd comes straight back in even though Dea is playing good footy. To me that is sending a worse message to these kids. If I was Matty Dea I'd be asking for a trade. Likewise Astbury who should be getting a chance. Also, wouldn't surprise if Griff wanted to leave with the way he has been developed lately. Thrown back and forward then back and forward again and that's just during the one game.  >:(

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1614 on: May 28, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
The issue for me Stripes is Arnot and Helbig have actually had better form than Lonergan. What kind of message is that for those 2 guys? They are both big enough to look after themselves at AFL level. What are the chances Petterd comes straight back in even though Dea is playing good footy. To me that is sending a worse message to these kids. If I was Matty Dea I'd be asking for a trade. Likewise Astbury who should be getting a chance. Also, wouldn't surprise if Griff wanted to leave with the way he has been developed lately. Thrown back and forward then back and forward again and that's just during the one game.  >:(

:bow :bow :bow

biggest single most issue i have with the club.

rewarding medicority and not developing our younger players.

How Lonergan got selected ahead of any of those players you mentioned were pathetic. Those decisions will surely see him out of a job and rightly so.

His coaching is becoming Spud like. Nice guy but the mistakes are mounting and i cant see him being in the job in 12 months if we dont make finals.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1615 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »

Can't argue there tiges. Lonegan has done nothing to suggest he should get a game ahead of the other two other than being brought to the club as a mature aged midfielder. The fact we were lining up against the Dons had a big influence also I feel. I think you're right about Petterd and Dea too. Petterd hasn't shown more than Dea so that should be a simple call.

Astbury and Griff though need to earn their spots. Neither has a Coburg so far. This week perhaps one will get a gig - Griff probably given the height of the WC forwards and size of the ground where his hoof can come into play. Batch can't keep playing tall and needs to run the ball out of defense when he has an opportunity. Grimes is a big loss in this regard.

In regards to Griff - I don't think they are mucking him around. More-so I feel the Coburg coach is. I think the message is that this year you are learning the art of defense but will be transitioned into attack as the year progresses and over the preseason. Many clubs choose to develop their tall forwards in this manner so I don't think it is mixed messages so much as the VFL coach trying to use him to clog holes. I do agree though that this hasn't helped him with his game this year and should be locked down as a forward now and kept their. The problem for Griff though is that our depth is thin in defense now with Grimes going down and no one else stepping up. I think this has also delayed the move.

Good conversation to have though tiges!  :thumbsup

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1616 on: May 28, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »
Astbury and Griff though need to earn their spots. Neither has a Coburg so far. This week perhaps one will get a gig - Griff probably given the height of the WC forwards and size of the ground where his hoof can come into play. Batch can't keep playing tall and needs to run the ball out of defense when he has an opportunity. Grimes is a big loss in this regard.

In regards to Griff - I don't think they are mucking him around. More-so I feel the Coburg coach is. I think the message is that this year you are learning the art of defense but will be transitioned into attack as the year progresses and over the preseason. Many clubs choose to develop their tall forwards in this manner so I don't think it is mixed messages so much as the VFL coach trying to use him to clog holes. I do agree though that this hasn't helped him with his game this year and should be locked down as a forward now and kept their. The problem for Griff though is that our depth is thin in defense now with Grimes going down and no one else stepping up. I think this has also delayed the move.

Good conversation to have though tiges!  :thumbsup
I think Astbury played a good game on the weekend and apparently week before was solid as well. Good and solid in that backline is a good effort. He's probably the one more deserving of a game at his stage. Also, I think Astbury is the one who should play defence. Had a really good game on Hurley in NAB Cup before getting injured too.

In regards to Griff's development. The funny thing is that the Coburg coach is now a Richmond coach. Don't get me wrong I was supportive of them playing him down back as a teaching tool. Was also supportive of them if they wanted to keep him as a defender but they seem to have decided to try him forward which IMO is his best spot. But just leave him deep forward, leading from the square for whole games. I don't think Griff should come in yet. Maybe the Doggies game and Saints game would give him a chance to beat a smaller, weaker defence and feel like he belongs at the level rather than getting flogged by McKenzie, Glass.

I'd be looking at maybe Astbury, Dea, Helbig in this week. Anymore than 3 and it's becoming a bit unstable unless a best 22 player like Conca made up a 4th change. 

dwaino

« Reply #1617 on: May 28, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
Reckon you could make a case for any of the young guys, but IMO Arnot is the stiffest non-selection to date. I'm usually one to back the club in and trust their decisions, but to chose Lonergan who has done diddly squat over someone like Arnot is a dead set howler. This year the bloke's poor games haven't been far behind his good games and a taste of the big time might soothe that temper a little. Is physically capable and couldn't possibly do anything else to prove he deserves a game.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1618 on: May 28, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
Reckon you could make a case for any of the young guys, but IMO Arnot is the stiffest non-selection to date. I'm usually one to back the club in and trust their decisions, but to chose Lonergan who has done diddly squat over someone like Arnot is a dead set howler. This year the bloke's poor games haven't been far behind his good games and a taste of the big time might soothe that temper a little. Is physically capable and couldn't possibly do anything else to prove he deserves a game.
:clapping yesss big man. Joke. Not sold on his skill level though. Better than Lonergan's though. 14 ineffective disposals out of 20 and gets promoted. Well earnt mate well earnt.   :clapping

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #1619 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
Especially about our "entry" (and I use that term loosely) into our forward 50  :banghead

Akin to a sand wedge from the middle of the fairway