Author Topic: 2004 richmond draft picks  (Read 5809 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 2004 richmond draft picks
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »
Robbo and Buckenara revisit the 2004 draft in today's Herald-Sun from Hawthorn's view

... Richmond went for Brett Deledio at No. 1, the Hawks opted for Jarryd Roughead, the Bulldogs took Ryan Griffen, the Tigers Richard Tambling and Buddy Franklin fell into the arms of Buckenara at No. 5.

It's been told before, but Buckenara had information Richmond wanted Tambling with No. 4, so he took Roughead first and crossed his fingers on Franklin.

"In doing our homework on the draft, we knew that Richmond had already invited Roughead and his family to their Sunday lunch after the draft," Buckenara recalled.

"They told him they were going to take him at No. 4.

"So if we were going to go Franklin at No. 2, we wouldn't have got Roughead, so we took a punt.

"We got the word that they (Richmond) had gone off Buddy a little bit and everyone was talking about us taking Richard Tambling.

"We were keen on him, too, but we decided to go Roughead at No. 2 and threw the cat among the pigeons.

"So we then felt they (Richmond) would take Tambling ahead of Franklin.

"We were always going to take the two best talls with our first two picks, and then we would take the next best midfielder at No. 7, and that was Jordan Lewis.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24296090-19742,00.html
What a load of crap, that means they also were happy to let the Bulldogs pass him over too. Buckenara said immediately after the draft that they'd hoped that Tambling would fall through to them. If they were so certain on taking Franklin, why did they need to call for extra time and then almost call out the wrong name, needing to go back and correct themselves?
Spot on Infamy. Of the three clubs there was only one that stuck to and got their planned choice(s) and that was the Bulldogs who wanted Griffen all along. We wanted Deledio at 1 and Roughead at 4 whereas the Hawks wanted Tambling and Roughead. They went for Roughead at 2 hoping we'd go for a KPP at 4 (Franklin) allowing Tambling to slip through to 5. Watch the replay of the 2004 draft again and the Hawks hesitate and call for time at pick 5. No doubt it worked out great for them especially as they had a large developing young core of smalls/mids already on the list at the time from 2000-2002 but that's a nice piece of rewritten history by Buckenara in that article.

In any case after last night it should be the Doggies who should get castigated over passing on Buddy when they expect a 182cm 32 y.o. at FF and a 186cm at CHF to win finals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 01:55:11 AM »
Deledio
Thursfeild
Tambling
Meyer
McGaune
Pattison
Polo

Meyer the darkhorse  :cheers

Move Danny to the bottom of that list and on current output so far at AFL level I would agree with you Bents.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 08:58:30 AM »
Robbo and Buckenara revisit the 2004 draft in today's Herald-Sun from Hawthorn's view

... Richmond went for Brett Deledio at No. 1, the Hawks opted for Jarryd Roughead, the Bulldogs took Ryan Griffen, the Tigers Richard Tambling and Buddy Franklin fell into the arms of Buckenara at No. 5.

It's been told before, but Buckenara had information Richmond wanted Tambling with No. 4, so he took Roughead first and crossed his fingers on Franklin.

"In doing our homework on the draft, we knew that Richmond had already invited Roughead and his family to their Sunday lunch after the draft," Buckenara recalled.

"So if we were going to go Franklin at No. 2, we wouldn't have got Roughead, so we took a punt.

"We got the word that they (Richmond) had gone off Buddy a little bit and everyone was talking about us taking Richard Tambling.

"We were keen on him, too, but we decided to go Roughead at No. 2 and threw the cat among the pigeons.

"We were always going to take the two best talls with our first two picks, and then we would take the next best midfielder at No. 7, and that was Jordan Lewis.

What a load of crap, that means they also were happy to let the Bulldogs pass him over too. Buckenara said immediately after the draft that they'd hoped that Tambling would fall through to them. If they were so certain on taking Franklin, why did they need to call for extra time and then almost call out the wrong name, needing to go back and correct themselves?
Spot on Infamy. Of the three clubs there was only one that stuck to and got their planned choice(s) and that was the Bulldogs who wanted Griffen all along. We wanted Deledio at 1 and Roughead at 4 whereas the Hawks wanted Tambling and Roughead. They went for Roughead at 2 hoping we'd go for a KPP at 4 (Franklin) allowing Tambling to slip through to 5. Watch the replay of the 2004 draft again and the Hawks hesitate and call for time at pick 5. No doubt it worked out great for them especially as they had a large developing young core of smalls/mids already on the list at the time from 2000-2002 but that's a nice piece of rewritten history by Buckenara in that article.

In any case after last night it should be the Doggies who should get castigated over passing on Buddy when they expect a 182cm 32 y.o. at FF and a 186cm at CHF to win finals.

thats the biggest load of crap MT and you know it.
"it should be the doggies who should get castigated over passing on buddy"

MT shall i remind you we had 2 picks inside the top 5 of which the dogs had just let me see, 1.

This is the most athletic man possibly ever to play the game and what do we do, choose another mid. please give me a break.

it was the draft that could have propelled us into the top 4-6 right now, instead we are left with the likes of patto, Meyer, tambling, polo, and limbach, who to date have done SFA. dont crap on about Tambling's inside work, its pathetic. That poo makes me laugh when all you go on about it.
What i saw him do this year is MORE than last year. he broke packs ran a bit faster, thats about it. He aint no X factor and NEVER will and all you need to get your RFC goggles off and understand this. We are hoping he may turn out to be Daniel wells or half of him, but he is too timid to make it.
How many goals does he kick? uum SFA. I even hear some of you u crap still crap on abvout the Eagles game, much like Schulz with his 5/6 goal haul against the Lions.
Get over it. We have a habit of holding onto players till their worth nothing e.g pathetic pettifer, Schulz.
If you let this buddy thing get to you which he has then maybe he should be traded. Thats weak.

Lids leads by example. I just thank Geez we got that right.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
There is nothing we can do about it now Daniel. It happened its over. What counts now is that the club has abit of luck, gets good young players with the picks in our possession. That is all we can do.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
point taken. I would like to know when its going to be our turn to laugh at other clubs for making the wrong decisions.
it seems we are always on the receiving end.
We can laugh at Carlton for not taking Cotchin

its not a rant i just think we should never trade away our picks. No Mundy, warnock, Mcmahon. It gets u nowhere.
I agree 100% on the players listed, but if we can do another Morton type trade then I'm all for it. Djekurra would be nice for a 3rd rounder.

the hawks traded very smart by getting their JON hay and thomo draft picks and have built their side around that.
Thing you need to remember though is that the Hawks didn't just decide to move these guys on to get draft picks, both players asked to leave. The fact that North Melbourne gave up ridiculous draft picks for them is not our fault and is not the norm, it would be nice to do trades like this, but no club will ever do something as stupid ever again, aiming for this is unachievable.

MT shall i remind you we had 2 picks inside the top 5 of which the dogs had just let me see, 1.

This is the most athletic man possibly ever to play the game and what do we do, choose another mid. please give me a break.

it was the draft that could have propelled us into the top 4-6 right now
The Dogs still had two picks in the Top 6 and decided to use Pick 6 on a speculative tall who'd only played the game for a couple of years. How is passing on "the most athletic player to possibly ever play the game" at Pick 3 an excuse when they took far more of a risk with the pick directly after the one used to take him?
Fact is, there were massive concerns on Franklin's mental commitment to the game, it was common knowledge that he could be the best out of that draft and could turn out to be one of the best players in the game. He was also the most likely to be a complete waste of a pick, do a Nathan Ablett and walk away from the game or move back to Perth. He sulked when things didn't go his way, still does, took himself off the ground if he was having a bad day, he slipped to 5 for a reason, if he was such a stand out as a junior he would have gone at #1.

I was going to ignore the Tambling bashing, because it's simply crap, but I will say that the guy has steadily improved every year. Just look at Leon Davis, he's only found form at 27. Tambling is miles ahead of him and will still turn out to be a great midfielder for us.

The Cotch

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
Our 04 list will turn out to be very good imo.

Bling, Meyer and Patto to bolt in 09  ;)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »
Oh and another thing, if we had Franklin, we wouldn't have Cotchin

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »
Oh and another thing, if we had Franklin, we wouldn't have Cotchin

Really.

Can you please explain that theory?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
You honestly believe we would have finished wooden spooners in 2007 with Franklin?
If he's as good as everyone says he is then he would have had to win us at least one more game last year

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, do you need everything spelled out for you?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
You honestly believe we would have finished wooden spooners in 2007 with Franklin?
If he's as good as everyone says he is then he would have had to win us at least one more game last year

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, do you need everything spelled out for you?

He is as good as everyone says he is pal. Best player ive seen since g/ablett.
I was hoping you wouldn't use that pathetic excuse. What a joke. We woulddn't have Cotch if we had buddy. hahahahaha

That draft was 4 years apart. Lets start comparing every player then shall we.

We fc.uked up and thats all there is to it. Much like we did last year trading away pick 18.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
Say what you like, we wouldn't have Cotchin if we picked Franklin, simple as that

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

it was the draft that could have propelled us into the top 4-6 right now, instead we are left with the likes of patto, Meyer, tambling, polo, and limbach, who to date have done SFA. dont crap on about Tambling's inside work, its pathetic. That poo makes me laugh when all you go on about it.
What i saw him do this year is MORE than last year. he broke packs ran a bit faster, thats about it. He aint no X factor and NEVER will and all you need to get your RFC goggles off and understand this. We are hoping he may turn out to be Daniel wells or half of him, but he is too timid to make it.
How many goals does he kick? uum SFA. I even hear some of you u crap still crap on abvout the Eagles game, much like Schulz with his 5/6 goal haul against the Lions.
Get over it. We have a habit of holding onto players till their worth nothing e.g pathetic pettifer, Schulz.
If you let this buddy thing get to you which he has then maybe he should be traded. Thats weak.

ad nauseum

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »

You say we got Lids right. Well then if we took Franklin at 1 then we wouldn't have got Lids. Now let me see who had the next chance to pick up Franklin? Oh that's right the Hawks and Dogs but like us didn't take him. The Dogs NEVER get the Griffen vs Buddy debate because only some Tiger supporters are stupid enough to get hung up over every draft choice and the media know it. The Hawks overlooked Judd. They took Dowler at 6 still languishing in the VFL and likely to be offloaded ahead of Paddy Ryder. They also overlooked Joel Selwood for Thorpe who is still in the VFL.  Take Selwood out of Geelong's midfield and throw him in Hawthorn's. Throw in Ryder at CHB. A scary thought but I don't think the Hawks care now. Only at Richmond does the past govern the future  :sleep.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 10:23:16 PM »

You say we got Lids right. Well then if we took Franklin at 1 then we wouldn't have got Lids. Now let me see who had the next chance to pick up Franklin? Oh that's right the Hawks and Dogs but like us didn't take him. The Dogs NEVER get the Griffen vs Buddy debate because only some Tiger supporters are stupid enough to get hung up over every draft choice and the media know it. The Hawks overlooked Judd. They took Dowler at 6 still languishing in the VFL and likely to be offloaded ahead of Paddy Ryder. They also overlooked Joel Selwood for Thorpe who is still in the VFL.  Take Selwood out of Geelong's midfield and throw him in Hawthorn's. Throw in Ryder at CHB. A scary thought but I don't think the Hawks care now. Only at Richmond does the past govern the future  :sleep.

the only way to shut people like me up Mt is to make the goddam finals FFS in 2009.

Seriously you wonder why people like me exist. I have seen 2 finals series in my life. 2 FFS.
Excuse me if i dont jump for joy at finishing 9th.

Get us into the finals and ill be singing a different tune.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »
I've only seen 2 finals series too and I'm not angry at the world like you seem to be
I don't demand immediate success because to do so sacrifices the long term success
Thompson didn't return Geelong to the finals until his 5th year of coaching them from a better starting point than we had, so why is Wallace graded so harshly?