Author Topic: Nick Vlastuin [merged]  (Read 231724 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Pick 9: Nick Vlastuin
« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Dutchman >Jager

:shh
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:01:30 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
Tyro Vlastuin feeling the finals fever

By Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Monday, August 12, 2013

NICK Vlastuin might have been at Richmond for less than a year but he knows how special the Tigers' upcoming finals campaign is going to be.

The 19-year-old, who is rapt to have already exceeded his own expectations to play 15 games in his debut season, wants to make sure he appreciates the opportunity the Tigers have this year as much as his older teammates do.

Brett Deledio has told him he has never played in a season where the team has won more than 11 games. Chris Newman has spoken of the fact that he has not played in a final in 13 seasons.

So Vlastuin is determined to enjoy what now awaits, with Saturday's win over the Brisbane Lions ensuring they will play finals for the first time since 2001.

"You can sense it around the club. Everyone is a bit relieved as well that we are there and we are playing well," Vlastuin told AFL.com.au.

"All the supporters, they always say good luck in September, it's been so long … they're all so happy.

"They're all trying to keep the lid on it though.

"'Newy' had a talk to all the boys and he said how big of an opportunity we have.

"We probably don't realise how big of a deal it is because I've come straight into it and he's had 13 years.

"I probably haven't appreciated it as much as they would."

Recently, Vlastuin has noticed he has been training in front of crowds as big as those that watched him play for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup last year.

Experiences like that, along with playing his first AFL game in round five and running out onto the MCG in front 84,234 spectators in round nine's Dreamtime at the 'G, remind him he's living his dream.

But he knows that playing in a final will supersede all of that, as well as winning the NAB AFL Under-18s national title with Vic Metro.

"This [finals] game, if I do play, that's easily going to be the most important game of my life.

"It's weird to look at it that way … but everything I've done before doesn't really matter to that day."

Vlastuin has missed just one game since his debut – round 14 against St Kilda, with a bruised shin forcing him out.

He tried hard to prove his fitness but couldn't really run throughout the week. The day before the game, he strode out at training and the pain flared again.

He was due for a rest anyway, with the fitness staff keen to look after his young body as the season wore on.

As the only first-year player getting a senior game at the moment, Vlastuin's training program has changed slightly in recent weeks to allow him more time to recover.

He is doing fewer drills and shorter sessions than some of his teammates, with preservation and maintenance the main focus.

"It's more about management than not doing it. I wouldn't miss a full session," he said.

"In the main training, if we have eight drills, I might only do six of them. And I'm feeling good - still holding together."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-12/finals-fever

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »
Leppitsch on SEN today talking about Vlastuin ...

* I think his body will be fine and he’ll handle the rigours. Form always fluctuates with kids.  We tend to look at their positives in their first year, because we haven’t got anything to compare them to.  As their career go on, you start to iron out the little chinks in their game. Nick’s had some games where he’s been quieter, but he’s going to be a long-term player for us.  So we’ll continue to play him and back him in, whether it be on the half-back line, where he’s been recently, or I think he’ll eventually be an inside ‘mid’, which is his ultimate strength.

Full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-08-22/vlastuin-up-for-the-battle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
After a bit of a lull and looking tired about a month ago, Flossy looks like he's found his second win late in the season. Very good today across half-back and impressive for a first year player to work hard running back defensively.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ruanaidh

« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
After a bit of a lull and looking tired about a month ago, Flossy looks like he's found his second win late in the season. Very good today across half-back and impressive for a first year player to work hard running back defensively.
I wanted Grundy with our first pick and whilst he will be an exceptional player we haven't lost anything by choosing this kid.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
Has loads of courage and uses the ball well. Tough as nails and as has been mentioned a Michael Voss type of extractor of the footy. Class player and am not disappointed from the moment I saw this kid put our jumper on. His reputation is rising by the game. That Hawthorn game a few weeks back was awesome. :thumbsup

Rampstar

« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
Already a B+ player on my rankings and will be going to an A in the next 12 to 18 months if he continues with his current rate of improvement and experience.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:32 AM »
Star, and McAvaney is an arse muncher for jinxing his shot at goal.  :banghead :banghead

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
9? Goals for a first year player mostly playing HBF is a good return

Gigantor

« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
The more I watch this kid the more he amazes me.I have to keep reminding myself hes a first year player and yet my expectations of him during a game go well beyond that.
His courage is at another level already.he will tackle anything within reach ,and when he chases ,he chases to kill

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
Nick, I think is a blend of Ellis, Dusty and Conca.
I just can't pick any players style he reminds me of.
Maybe someone else has a better comparison.
Either way he is a gun on the rise in a BIG way.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
Think Michael Voss

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
The more I watch this kid the more he amazes me.I have to keep reminding myself hes a first year player and yet my expectations of him during a game go well beyond that.
His courage is at another level already.he will tackle anything within reach ,and when he chases ,he chases to kill

Great call
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »

Great call

X2

Kid backs into packs and the wonderful thing is he impacts the contest positively and in many cases cleanly for us. Let alone his decision making and use of the footy. A gem. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:19 AM »
Can someone explain how Flossy can't make a top 10 best first-year players' list? :huh3 

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/vote-now-on-the-real-rising-star-of-2013/story-fnelctok-1226709104068

Here's Flossy's stats:

Played:     17
Disposal:  16.2 (276 in total)
Marks:       4.7 (80)
Tackles:     3.2 (54)
Goals:       9

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2363