Author Topic: Nick Vlastuin [merged]  (Read 231732 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Nick Vlastuin [merged]
« Reply #780 on: September 09, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
 :cheers

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #781 on: September 09, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
He was amazing and is so important to our backline!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #782 on: September 09, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »
He is a brave mofo, puts his bonce on the line a lot and has become really effective, love his big kicks.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #783 on: September 09, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
I thought he was our best tonight.
Really proud of how he has come on.
Not flashy but just so reliable.
Someone got that one right.

Though Dusty would get the votes as he just stands out more.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #784 on: September 09, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
The Ginger Hodge
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'It bloody gave me goosebumps': Nick Vlastuin (Foxsports)
« Reply #785 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »
'It bloody gave me goosebumps': Nick Vlastuin on the Richmond roar and the signs of a changed club

September 9, 2017
Riley Beveridge
FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND had been here before.

A handy lead, a promising performance and the prospect of a finals victory on the cards.

But unlike previous years, this time things were different.

On Friday night, the Tigers held their nerve, even when challenged by a talented Cats outfit.

They ended 16 years of September heartache to stroll into a preliminary final, dismantling Geelong and laying down a marker for their future ambitions with a 51-point win.

It was the sign of a changed club.

From being on the verge of capitulation 12 months ago, with off-field problems almost masking a season of disappointment on it, to being on the cusp of a Grand Final.

And with the Tiger Army behind them, it’s easy to buy into the belief that anything is possible.

“We’d been hearing all week that we hadn’t beaten Geelong in 18 goes or something,” Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin told foxfooty.com.au after the match.

“The last time we played them in a final, they smashed us by about 100 points. All of that.

“Then the Tiger roar when we were running out, it bloody gave me goosebumps.”

That roar was deafening.

Damien Hardwick suggested after the game that around 60,000 of the 95,028 inside the ground were Tiger fans. He might have been too conservative.

And now, Richmond won’t have to leave. Victory ensured that every match they play for the remainder of the season will be at the ‘G — something that proved motivation before the game.

“We always know the Tiger faithful is going to show up,” Vlastuin said.

“We know now that we’re not leaving Melbourne, so that’s going to be pretty exciting.

“Even when Geelong ran out, the boos were louder than the cheers. They showed up tonight.

“We love playing at the ‘G and we play pretty well here. There’s a lot of space for our quick young boys, so it’s a huge result to be staying here.”

Vlastuin, in his own right, played a pivotal role in the victory.

He finished with 19 disposals from 10 marks on Friday night, marshalling the defence and taking a couple of courageous grabs going back with the flight.

His calming goal midway through the third term also steadied the ship when things were getting nervous. From there, it seemed there would only ever be one winner.

“I wasn’t sure when we could start enjoying it,” Vlastuin laughed.

“We saw the security guards come out and we kicked a couple of goals. I was looking around at the boys, but we weren’t sure.

“It’s just such an awesome feeling.”

Vlastuin represents a composed figure in a suddenly very mature Richmond defensive unit.

The 23-year-old, much like David Astbury and Dylan Grimes, is enjoying a career-best year.

Together, the back line helped steady the ship when it mattered most on Friday night, halting a Cats outfit that drew level early in the third term and looked like running over the Tigers.

“They got two late ones (just before half time) and that made the game a bit more nervous,” Vlastuin said.

“They can get a couple of quick ones and all of a sudden they have some momentum back.

“We felt them coming. They just started to win it around the ball, with Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan running the show.

“But it was just awesome for our team to not give up a couple more quick goals and give them any momentum again.

“When the momentum switched back our way, we capitalised and that was great.”

But Vlastuin won’t dare to dream. Not yet, anyway.

“We’re just going to enjoy tonight,” he said.

“I haven’t even thought about the next game. It’s just great for the Tiger faithful and great for the boys, after a really tough year last year.

“Who would have thought?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/it-bloody-gave-me-goosebumps-nick-vlastuin-on-the-richmond-roar-and-the-signs-of-a-changed-club/news-story/a43a6d63729f6e3e2d55ad3dfcddfb20

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #786 on: September 10, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
Some said he was overrated....a plodder even.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #787 on: September 10, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »

Im one who said he was overrated (from memory). I had big concerns about his lack of impact in games last year and also pretty sure i smashed him when the midfield experiment failed earlier this year. But hes had a ripping month and an awesome Final. If he maintains that level of form he'll retire a true tiger legend.  :gotigers
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #788 on: September 10, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
Actually I was thinking more of others...actually don't remember you saying it....

BTW..I still think he can play all three lines eventually.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #789 on: September 10, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Actually I was thinking more of others...actually don't remember you saying it....

BTW..I still think he can play all three lines eventually.... :shh

Its ok im happy to put the hand up. Maybe his dominance down back is what he needs to confidently start running through the mid rotations.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #790 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

Yep I said he was overrated.  Since he came back into the side has gone to another level, is playing some elite footy. and FWIW I still also believe he has something to offer in midfield down the track

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #791 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
I feel his long range goal in the 3rd was what broke Geelong and allowed us to get ascendancy

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
Floss the Boss. :clapping :bow :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #793 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:09 PM »
Dutch Tank  8)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #794 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »

Yep I said he was overrated.  Since he came back into the side has gone to another level, is playing some elite footy. and FWIW I still also believe he has something to offer in midfield down the track

Me too, just hadn't seen huge improvement but he went to an elite level on Friday night. The goal he kicked in the 3rd q was huge and his marking was superb
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.