Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 334595 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
2011 AFL Pre Season Draft – A Reflection
By Ben Fullerton
Contestedfooty.com
June 24, 2011

Six players were picked up as a part of the 2011 AFL Pre Season Draft earlier this year. As we have just passed the midway part of the season it seems like a good time to pause and reflect on the performance of these players. Some have made a name for themselves and slotted nicely into the lists that chose them, whilst others are struggling to get a game. Below I have written a summary of each players progress.

Bachar Houli (Richmond) – Houli is probably the best pick of the pre season draft, repaying the faith shown in him by the Tigers. His talent has never been a question, and after leaving the Bombers at the end of last year he joined the Tigers in 2011. He has played every match this year and has averaged just over 21 disposals, with his run proving a welcome addition to a Tigers side on the rise.

Nathan Ablett (Gold Coast)
Blayne Wilson (West Coast)
Michael Hibberd (Essendon)
Cameron Bruce (Hawthorn)
John Anthony (Fremantle)

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2011/06/2011-afl-pre-season-draft-a-reflection/

gerkin greg

« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2011, 04:24:18 AM »
Interview with Bach

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2051447529/Muslim-in-the-AFL

Muslim role model Bachar Houli says his job is to educate

Sam Edmund
    July 13, 2011

HE WAS recruited as the sort of player a coach dreams of.

Bachar Houli is a devout Muslim and does not drink, gamble or smoke.

The Richmond midfielder thrives on the social responsibilities and role-model status that come with being a Muslim in professional sport.

"I'm grateful for the position I've been put in. I've got a role to play and that is to educate others about the way I live and the belief system I follow," Houli said yesterday in the lead-up to the weekend's multicultural round.

"It's all about being proud of who you are and talking about it because a lot of people don't understand and it's about educating them that I've got a couple of different ways I go about life."

Houli's journey has been one of constant juggling between football and the faith he follows.

It started as an 11-year-old when he would sneak out of the family home to play the game he loved.

"Initially, I found it awkward and I was kind of scared because my parents weren't aware that I was going to play and they were really against it," he said.

"It was the old trick of putting the teddy bear underneath the blanket. I got away with it a few times, but it didn't last too long.

"Luckily my brother backed me up and said, 'You've got to let the kid play and enjoy what he's doing'."

Houli prays five times a day, including on match day when he will go into a little room under the stadium for five minutes before and after the game.

"All I need is a little space to do my thing. I perform one prayer before the game and if it clashes with another one I perform that prayer after the game," he said.

"With our religion it's all about cleanliness and being clean so coming in at halftime you're going to be quite sweaty and not smelling all that good. When we pray it's as if we're facing God, so we have to present ourselves in the best form."

Houli praised the Tigers and his former club Essendon for their understanding. He said: "They've both been very, very supportive. They have offered me a number of rooms to perform my prayers."

Ramadan presents arguably the biggest challenge to Houli. August is the Islamic month of fasting, in which Muslims refrain from eating and drinking during daylight.

"I just had a meeting with a fitness coach to discuss what's best in terms of training," he said. "They're very supportive in terms of limiting my program to a shorter day and lesser loads and stuff like that."

Watch Houli's interview with Tiffany Cherry as part of the Flash Footy series on Fox Sports 1 tonight from 7.30pm.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/muslim-role-model-bachar-houli-says-his-job-is-to-educate/story-e6frf9jf-1226093346290

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
If he can't eat or drink during daylight hours for all of August ( WTF ? ) then I'd expect he'd be playing for Coburg coz you can't play professional football like that. Actually I think he'll be playing for Coburg by that time anyhow. Very ordinary player
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
If he can't eat or drink during daylight hours for all of August ( WTF ? ) then I'd expect he'd be playing for Coburg coz you can't play professional football like that. Actually I think he'll be playing for Coburg by that time anyhow. Very ordinary player

I actually think he has been a shining light for the side this year and despite some poor moments, he has been tremendous to our depth and delivery off HB. I do agree with you regarding August though Black. Will prove a huge challenge to his stamina during a full game where endurance and fitness of a team/player can prove the difference in the last quarter.  :-\

gerkin greg

« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
I reckon he's been alright too Stripes. He runs, he hits targets by foot. Not a flawless player by any means, but definitely an upgrade on most of our list.

He hasn't played at AFL level during Ramadan before. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
no heart unfortunately

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
no heart unfortunately

No doubt about it JT and also he's horrendous whenever he even senses a tackle coming. He has no pace to escape so he just falls over and hands it to his opponent....every time !  As we saw in the most emabarrassing fashion on Sat nite.
He's played a few ok games though. Usually when we're winning

gerkin greg

« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
His best game was against Port when we were getting our pants pulled down. One of the only blokes to show any heart.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
His best game was against Port when we were getting our pants pulled down.
I knew someone would bring that up  ;D  Gotta get up pretty early to catch you out lol.  That was his best game.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
His ball use is one of the main reasons we are in the top 3 teams for efficiency via foot
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
Houli prepares for Ramadan
By Luke Holmesby
Wed 13 Jul, 2011

RICHMOND'S Bachar Houli has spoken about the unique challenges facing a Muslim player in the AFL.

Speaking at a breakfast to celebrate AFL's multicultural round, Houli says he is preparing himself for Ramadan, the Islamic month for fasting while fulfilling his duties with the Tigers.

Houli says he has been fasting for two days a week in the lead-up to the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, which begins on August 1 this year.

"In terms of training and playing, I'm still trying to work on it. Yesterday I caught up with our fitness coach and we were trying to work out what would suit me," Houli said.

"I don't want the program to change because of me. I want to be at the club as long as I can and I don't want to take a short cut. That's my nature, I try to do everything to the best of my ability."

Houli said his body can cope with the change in his diet and that preparation and planning was the key.

"I started fasting two months ago and what I've been doing is fasting two days a week so I can get used to this month," he said.

"Because to take on the month all at once can be quite tough, so I've prepared myself just like you'd prepare yourself for a match."

Houli spoke at the breakfast along with former Essendon teammate Nathan Lovett-Murray, Collingwood's Harry O'Brien, AFL General Manager Football Operations Adrian Anderson and local footballer Jamie Pi.

He said teammates from his junior and senior careers had supported and taken a great interest in his Muslim faith.

"The reason we fast is we feel for the poor, those who struggle for food every day. The other reason is it is a month of worship. If you are a sinner, it's a chance to turn back and repent," he said.

"It's one of the most scientifically proven diets. I had a few teammates at Essendon who tried it but they didn't last too long. I've been doing it for 12 years."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118439/default.aspx

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
Houli prepares for Ramadan
By Luke Holmesby
Wed 13 Jul, 2011

"In terms of training and playing, I'm still trying to work on it.
 "I don't want the program to change because of me."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118439/default.aspx

Hmmmm

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
His best game was against Port when we were getting our pants pulled down. One of the only blokes to show any heart.

got a new fav player i see. jumped off ShEds wagon?

gerkin greg

« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »
nah still on the schulz express
toot toot