Author Topic: The Tigers have landed (BPL)  (Read 2584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers have landed (BPL)
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:58:22 AM »
The Tigers have landed
Simon Morawetz
Back Page Lead
Sunday, 30 April 2012

It can be tough to get a read on a team early in the season. There are simply too many variables in play. Some teams have tougher draws early on, some might have players returning slowly from off-season surgery, while some just need a bit of momentum before they start chugging at full speed.

Who knows what happened to Geelong in 2007, for instance, as they started shakily at 2-3. Whatever it was, they soon shook it off as they lost just one more game on their way to the Premiership.

Similarly, I believe that Richmond’s current ladder position will look nothing like their final one. The Richmond that they have been promising for years has arrived, it’s just being masked by an unfortunate draw.

Sure, they haven’t set the AFL alight just yet – it would be hard to say that about a team at 1-4 – but win-loss ratios only tell part of the story, especially at this early stage.

Consider who the Tigers have played so far: Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, Geelong, and West Coast. There’s four of last year’s top five in that.

In the first two rounds, the Tigers matched it with two much more experienced opponents, barring a ten-minute black spot that cost them each match. Against the Blues, it was the last ten minutes of the game. It was the start of the second half against Collingwood.

Then they dutifully destroyed Melbourne, as a lot of teams will do this year. However, it was their last two matches that really impressed me. Against both the Cats and Eagles, they managed to stick with their fancied opponents and either level the scores or pinch the lead late in the piece.

Both of those matches were decided by ten points in the end.

I know that Damien Hardwick says he’s not happy with honourable losses. He’d prefer unforeseen wins. But compared to uncompetitive shellackings, honourable losses start to look a bit nicer. To their credit, that’s what the Tigers have delivered this year.

So the Tigers seem to have turned the corner. After so many years of promise, why have they actually done it this year?

Firstly, they’ve put behind their years of poor drafting. Of their five top-20 picks in 2004, only one is still at the club. Their first three picks in 2005 played a total of 29 games, and have also all left the club.

In more recent years, they have done very well. Players such as Dustin Martin, Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis ooze potential and have the look of players around whom you could build a team. Trading for Stephen Morris and Ivan Maric hasn’t hurt either.

Secondly, the emergence of Tyrone Vickery (another high draft pick) as a ruck-forward has been crucial. Gone are the days of the one-dimensional Tiger forwardline. The inclusion of Brad Miller has been handy, too. The only thing missing is the improvement that Jack Riewoldt should show from the increased avenues to goal. Having more options should allow Riewoldt to capitalise on his freedom from double-teaming by key defenders.

As it is, though, he has been disappointing. He has taken 19 marks and kicked just eight goals from the first five matches. That said, that the Tigers have lifted while their spearhead has slumped only makes their rise more impressive.

And thirdly, they have managed to stay largely injury-free. I don’t need to talk for too long about the important of having players like Shane Tuck, Trent Cotchin, and Nathan Foley available every week. It's having these sorts of players available that's led to the Tigers being able to play fierce, contested footy.

They may have won just one of their first five matches, but there’s no way they should give up on the finals. We saw St Kilda reach the finals with just six points from seven games last year. Hawthorn did it with four points from seven games the year before.

Playing the way they play, they will beat a few teams this year. Perhaps not Carlton and Geelong, but they’ll win a fair few. What they need is to string some of those wins together.

Ahead of them, the Tigers have Port Adelaide, Sydney (MCG), Essendon, and Hawthorn. On their day, I reckon the Tigers could win any of those. And the more they win, the more they’ll keep winning.

Of course, I could be wrong. They could lose those matches and slump to 1-9. We don’t know. That’s the beauty of footy, and sport in general.

What I do know is this: had the Tigers been dealt a kinder draw to start the year, we’d be talking about them in a different light by now.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/6338-the-tigers-have-landed

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The Tigers have landed (BPL)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »
So, over the next few weeks we play Sydney, who are undefeated, Essendon who have surprised everybody this year dropping only one game so far by a solitary point, and Hawthorn who are a genuine top four contender. So when does our draw start to get easier? 

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
Correct RR, which is why I chuckle at how some think we've done our penance and it gets easier from now, rubbish

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
Fair points, where do we play Sydnos?  Essendon pulled a nice swifty on Carltank, matched up well on them and Naught gazumped the Geebangers.  It is tightening up.  I think what is most important is consistant and even improvement though and that is what is happening with our team.  We have some players down on form or playing back from injuries into fitness I believe that is Jack and Vickers.  They seem to start coming good in the WC game.  When our scoring potency picks up and marries up with our much improved defence and our impressive midfield, we will be a more dangerous proposition.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
Correct RR, which is why I chuckle at how some think we've done our penance and it gets easier from now, rubbish

Was saying exactly the same last night - Long hard road ahead starting with Port this weekend!!!!!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »
Tigers have landed 0n their backsides AGAIN

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »
What a crap article. Maybe this is the start of something special, maybe not but the pain of yesterday still cuts deep and we can't have landed if we are 1-4.  We are still in flight with one engine failing, just waiting for the pilot to bail out or be pushed out the door!!!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »

The draw gets easier, but not easy.
except for the hawks,up until rnd 18 against carlton  we have a dozen or so games we have a realistic chance of winning, (but we are unlikely to  win them all.)

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
This is all well and good but the honourable losses against Blues, Pies, Cats and Eagles means nothing unless we can replicate yesterday's performance against Port which should give us a win against them.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »
Despite Sydneys unbeaten form, Essendons good start and Hawthorns ability, we can win every one of these games. I would much rather play any of these teams than Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong or West Coast immediately. After a run of wins we will be in a much better place to match up against these teams imo.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
until rnd 18 against carlton  we have a dozen or so games we have a realistic chance of winning, (but we are unlikely to  win them all.)

LMAO captain obvious :lol

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
I don't think we can make the finals from here??  With the soft draw to some other teams already 2-3 games clear we are in massive trouble.

If we lose to Port then maybe it's time to dare I say it "take the oars out of the water" ala West Coast in 2010 in preparation for the supposed super draft???

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
until rnd 18 against carlton  we have a dozen or so games we have a realistic chance of winning, (but we are unlikely to  win them all.)

LMAO captain obvious :lol

not to all it aint  ;D

we could win all but one or two and we would still hear moaning about how we should be beating sides like such and such
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
If we somehow make finals this yr we have earned it and deserve it... And if we maybe somehow do.. We won't just make up the numbers... We will be hard tough and hungry....we may not have many wind on the board get but we are playing the best footy we have played since Northey coached. The next 5 Weeks will shape our season