Author Topic: James Podsiadly  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: James Podsiadly
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Interesting that Geelong took Podsiadly.  Wonder if they have reservations of Hawkins really cutting the mustard, or of Mooney losing his impact, especially with Ottens being so injury prone?

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
A mate of mine was talking up the idea of taking Podsiadly in the lead-up to the draft,and was really disappointed that we overlooked him.
The one I really wanted though, who I thought could have made an instant impact at full-forward, was Serhat Temel. If for no other reason than I could've said that we had a Temel Tiger on our list. :lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
Err.............. :nope

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo....... :banghead :banghead

Passsssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............

Why  ??? ???  :-\

Has been on the roookie lists of Pies & Doggies and with the Doggies lack of talll forwards couldn't get a gig

Did I say NO

:lol

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
real eye for talent  :lol

the claw

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
real eye for talent  :lol
not wp fault. can you remember how the rookie draft was used back in 06. well it was rarely used and when it was it was used on a lot of mature hacks.pods could well have been just another one. difference is pods came from a state league and he spent time there improving and dominating. by age 25 he had improverd  and deserved another chance.
our trouble was taking blokes who had been at other clubs for awhile and done little.
i suppose you would call pods a late bloomer but he bloomed at 24/25 not when gellong took him at 29.

ive had this debate about taking mature  players from state leagues on most sites and all you cop is grief from short sighted people.

like wp in 2006 i too would have been against taking pods. why  because all i wanted us to do was 1/  actually  use the rookie draft and 2/  use it on some prospective kids.

thing is as you go along you learn. you learn from what we got wrong and what we actually got right.
pods is a great case of trying a state league player  who finished high in club votes high in competition votes dominated at the state level yes dominated and against a lot of afl players.
about 1 in 6 highly subjective rookie picks make it one in 6. most of the time you spend the first two yrs trying to fix the problems that prevented them from being drafted in the first place.
yet here you have a player like pods who is tearing apart the very players you decide to rookie and hes ready to go.
some simple criteria with mature age players from state leagues and you will get a player who is better than most rookies you ever take and usually a decent player worth keeping whos better than a lot on the list proper.

what criteria is that. well ive mentioned two among the best players in the league and finishing high in b&fs.  must have the physical attributes to play afl along with decent skills.
i ask people to go thru team lists and just look at the number of players who have come thru state leagues its phenomanol. look at our very own steve morris he ticks all the boxes and hes a damn site better player straight of the bat than 2/3 of our list.
every yr these blokes are given a go but every yr more are over looked just waiting for a chance.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Wasnt Jake King picked up as a rookie in 2006 as a 22yo??

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
i dont think Pods would have been any good in any other team other than Geelong, at the stage they were at..  He's struggling a bit this year and his difficiancies are starting to show..  He's a one dimentional forward..  There was a bloke who played for Sandringham called Sautner that was same,,, kicked arse as a full forward but was one dimentional...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Exactly Bengal he was the perfect fit for Geelong because they could afford to plonk him in the square and considering the way they played whether he was hit or miss it was not going to impact them, yet it wasn't until his second season that he could play outside of the confines of Shell stadium.

It wasn't until the Hawk game mid season last year that he started to have the impact on other grounds other than Shell despite the success the Cats had on field.

At RFC in 2010 he would've struggled and we all would have been bemoaning another selection gone wrong and we would be talking about every RFC coaching tenure making the same mistakes.

the claw

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
yep king and nahas are both rookies from state leagues.
i dont rate either but we have have got more from both than 90% of all rookies taken or even late nd picks. theres some state leaguers out there who ar infinately better player than many on our list but just over looked yr in yr out.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
Its only been a rcent thing being able to have mature age rookies..  Its just one of those things that happened when the draft came in.. Prior to that players were taken at any age and brought into clubs to win premierships.. Look at Carlton of the 80's..  Its not a new thing recruiting mature players. its been happening since the game started, its just when the draft and more importantly the salary cap have been in clubs have in general gone for younger players and older players already in the system..  Its now changing back to what it has always been..

the claw

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
i dont think Pods would have been any good in any other team other than Geelong, at the stage they were at..  He's struggling a bit this year and his difficiancies are starting to show..  He's a one dimentional forward..  There was a bloke who played for Sandringham called Sautner that was same,,, kicked behind as a full forward but was one dimentional...
sorry bengal dont want to be derogatory but thats utter crap. he would be a good player at any club because simply put hes a good player.
and your wrong hes may be down a bit on form but hes not struggling.
 if he keeps going at the rate hes going he will probably kick around  55 60 goals roughly the same if not more than his previous two yrs. i can tell ya he does a lot of things way better than jack does atm.
i have to laugh how we so undervalue opposition players who have achieved yet fail to apply the same standards to our own who have done nothing.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »
i dont think Pods would have been any good in any other team other than Geelong, at the stage they were at..  He's struggling a bit this year and his difficiancies are starting to show..  He's a one dimentional forward..  There was a bloke who played for Sandringham called Sautner that was same,,, kicked behind as a full forward but was one dimentional...
sorry bengal dont want to be derogatory but thats utter crap. he would be a good player at any club because simply put hes a good player.
 if he keeps going at the rate hes going he will probably kick around  55 60 goals roughly the same if not more than his previous two yrs. i can tell ya he does a lot of things way better than jack does atm.
i have to laugh how we so undervalue opposition players who have achieved yet fail to apply the same standards to our own who have done nothing.
Your opinion on Pods, not shared, but others are wrong.  Nahas and King are not rated by you but are by the club but again you are right and the club and others that believe Nahas and King are good enough (potentially just for now) are wrong.  You don't determine wrong or right.

Oh and Griffiths who is now outperforming Black.  But the club is wrong.

Your opinion and it is just a rambling, often incoherent opinion is yours and yours alone.  And you don't detrmine wrong or right.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
yep king and nahas are both rookies from state leagues.
i dont rate either but we have have got more from both than 90% of all rookies taken or even late nd picks. theres some state leaguers out there who ar infinately better player than many on our list but just over looked yr in yr out.

You don't rate Nahas?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
Nahas is no superstar but he goes ok

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
''

sorry Craw but if u think he's going better than Jack you have not got your head screwed on properly.  Jacks ahead of him in nearly every stat and also the stuff that doesnt have stats.
In the same sentence you admit Pod's is down on form then flip and say he's not struggling,, weird

i think you're just one of those people with a narcisstic personality that cannot admit errors and will not accept others veiws