Author Topic: James Podsiadly  (Read 3006 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
James Podsiadly
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:24:19 AM »
footygoss.com and SEN mentioned Podsiadly is training down at Punt Rd.

Any takers for him?

25 year old full forward. Kicked 70 goals from 18 games and 72 from 20 in the past two seasons in the VFL for Werribee. He was on the Pies list a few years ago so he can't be a mature age rookie.

Strangely he has signed a new 2-year deal with Werribee and they have named him as captain for them in 2007  ???.
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/default.asp?pg=werribee&spg=display&articleid=298120
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:53:00 AM by one-eyed »

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Werribee's James Podsiadly training with us
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 09:17:59 AM »
I don't know, do they sometimes grab these guys to use in drills with our backmen?

Like he's a big boy and can take a grab, so they'll used Polak and other defenders on him in drills more for our benefit than actually drafting him?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »
Err.............. :nope

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo....... :banghead :banghead

Passsssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............

Why  ??? ???  :-\

Has been on the roookie lists of Pies & Doggies and with the Doggies lack of talll forwards couldn't get a gig

Did I say NO

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »
Reminds you of the Birdman Brett Evans WP? Star in the VFL but hopeless at AFL level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
Reminds you of the Birdman Brett Evans WP? Star in the VFL but hopeless at AFL level.

Not necessarily hopeless MT but just too slow - at VFL level his decision making is excellent, at AFL level (when his played pre-season games) decision making is ordinary IMO

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 06:36:57 PM »
Age of Regret
The Pulse - Steve Perkin
Herald-Sun
Tuesday, 21 November 2006

Richmond unsuccessfully approached the AFL recently to try to get a rule changed that would have allowed it to pick up Werribee forward James Podsiadly in the rookie draft.

Podsiadly, who kicked 66 goals in 16 games for Werribee last season, is 25 - one year too old for the rookie list.

But clubs are able to rookie-list one over 25 years if he has not previously been on a club's list. Unfortunately for Podsiadly, he was rookie-listed by Collingwood in 2002.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace invited Podsiadly to train with the team and has looked at the possibility of turning him into a mobile defender.

With the AFL not prepared to alter its rules, the Tigers must now decide whether to throw Podsiadly one last life-line via the pre-season draft.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283856

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
Eeeeeecccckkkkk !

This guy as a key defender ......  What the ???

What was Pohack recruited for ??  Back-up, OR to trade out of the forecast best top ten in draft history ??

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:38:52 PM »
Thank you AFL  :clapping

Thank you Andy D  :clapping

Thak you little incidental Adrian A  :clapping

One of the best decisions by the AFL ever  :thumbsup :yep :congrats

;D :rollin ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We wanted to rookie list Podsiadly but the AFL has said no
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:12:41 AM »
Rookie revamp rejected
Caroline Wilson
The Age
December 7, 2006

THE AFL and its senior coaches have fallen out over the league's refusal to amend the rules relating to the rookie draft next Monday, which John Worsfold and Terry Wallace say will end the careers of at least two footballers.

The AFL Coaches Association has failed in its last-minute bid to make footballers who are over 23 and have previously been on AFL rookie lists or senior lists available for next Monday's rookie draft.

Worsfold and Wallace learned on Monday night that, despite the endorsement of AFL Players' Association chief executive Brendon Gale, their respective bids to draft Brad Smith and James Podsiadly had failed.

"You begin to wonder whether it's worth having a coaches' association," Wallace said last night. "The spirit of the rule change was to allow kids over 23 a second chance at playing footy and giving boys a second chance in life.

"We made no attempt to get this rule through by the back door … West Coast and ourselves went through the official channels with our submissions which we put through, explaining our situations, and we hear back that they have ruled against us. It's very disappointing. James is one boy who will probably never get another chance now at playing AFL …

"I think they just need to be a bit careful with this rule. We are trying to get kids out of soccer and basketball who come into the draft having only played footy for a year or two.

"Physically or mentally they might not be up to it, having only been in the system since they were 16 or 17. But three or four years later they might be ready. The AFL tells us we have the opportunity to put them on our senior lists but that can be difficult in a quality year like this year."

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said: "It was only three weeks ago that we debated and discussed and approved each club having one player over 23 being allowed onto the rookie lists. That was put forward in a bid to try and attract a basketballer or late maturer into the game.

"Then Richmond and West Coast put through their submissions but I don't think it's a good practice to bring in another rule change two or three weeks after the last one."

Podsiadly, 25, has not played a senior AFL game — one criterion Wallace and Worsfold pushed for — but has been on Collingwood and Essendon's rookie lists. The Werribee player said last night that the AFL's decision had been devastating.

"I'll just go back to Werribee now," he said. "Terry has been fantastic in the time I've been training with Richmond and the progress I've made was great. I felt like I could have matched it with the elite. It really doesn't make any sense."

The Eagles, who Demetriou insisted could have placed Smith, 23, on their long-term injury list, wrote to the AFL six months ago pushing the cause of the unlucky player.

Said club CEO Trevor Nisbett: "We were disappointed to learn we had not been successful. John just wants to give players as many opportunities as he can.

"When the (Adam) Ramanauskas situation came up there were extenuating circumstances and John's been extremely strong on the fact there should be allowances for other circumstances."

Said Demetriou: "Brad Smith is a very unlucky footballer but I don't see that we should be changing a rule two weeks after we've already changed it just to suit the circumstances of two clubs. If the situation continues to be a problem in the next few years then we'll look at it again."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/12/06/1165081020179.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
I'm not sure whether or not the rule should be altered but AD'S excuse for not doing so seems pretty dumb to me.
If a scenario crops up which had not been considered when implementing changes, I'd be thinking 2 or 3 weeks after those changes but well before the draft when they will impact would be a fair time to make an amendment.
What keeps crossing my mind is that, in view of the Ramanauskas decision (which I think is a good one and in the right spirit), the league are being inconsistent and maybe even prejudicial.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »
I've got no problems with the league not changing the rule. It was flagged a while ago what the criteria for "Mature Age" rookies was going to be. The rule was then ratified - end of story IMO.

The Ramanauskas decision is a one-off and correctly was dealt with separately.

A kid like Brad Smith - I feel for him but the rule as it stands again IMO is the right way to go. It was bought in to give blokes who were overlooked previously a chance. If it was to change to what WCE & RFC want then I'd worry that you'd have ex rookies going from club to club on a year by year basis until they turn 25 thereby limiting a 20 y.old a chance to get rookied

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 04:21:29 PM »
The rule means footballers in these situations need to drafted and not rookie listed. Which is how we got with Tucky. The only problem I have with the rule is that in a strong and deep draft like this year your chances of being drafted if you're a "mature" player playing in a state comp are practically zero.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »
I'd take Drew Barnes- in the PSD. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 05:13:36 AM »
From The Age:

Adrian Anderson also revealed the league was exploring new ways to allow players to temporarily leave clubs without having to be delisted, as an extension of the new rule enabling clubs to rookie list one untried player over 23.

Richmond and West Coast believe the rule works against mature-age players who have spent time on senior or rookie lists but have not played a senior game, such as Werribee forward James Podsiadly, who has been training with the Tigers, and 27-year-old Eagle Brad Smith, who has had two knee reconstructions.

"The idea generally is if a player needs to take leave from the game for any particular reason — say for a study type situation — at the moment they have to leave their club and go back into the draft," Anderson said.

"We could look at something along those lines as part of either the draft situation or the rookie rule, to provide the ability for a player to come back to his club."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/12/09/1165081203066.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond bagged in the Herald-Sun for not drafting James Podsiadly
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 04:51:52 AM »
Love how the media leave out the tiny fact that when Richmond were interested in drafting Podsiadly we were prevented from doing so because there was no mature age rookie back then for anyone who had already been on an AFL list previously. They only changed that rule last year  ::)

-------------------
Simon Atkins, who coached the key forward at Werribee from 2005-2008, was surprised as both Richmond and the Western Bulldogs overlooked him.

"He had maybe five to six weeks' training at both clubs so they got a good look at him . . . he probably should have played a bit earlier," Atkins said.

"I would have thought both clubs were looking for that type of player. I was pretty surprised."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jamespodsiadly-tipped-to-have-sudden-impact-for-geelong/story-e6frf9jf-1225832413169