Author Topic: Don't mess with finals-starved Tigers (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1473 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Don't mess with finals-starved Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
Don't mess with finals-starved Tigers

Cheryl Critchley
    September 22, 2012

MEMO to fans of the teams who make this year's AFL Grand Final: If you haven't been to a game all year please resist the urge to gloat.

There is nothing worse for finals-starved fans than so-called supporters who couldn't name their team's captain suddenly becoming life-long devotees when they make the finals.

They upload club logos as their Facebook profile picture and dig out flea-ridden jumpers that haven't seen the light of day since Dermott Brereton had curly hair.

It's enough to make you weep.

Those of us who have been to almost every game - and watched their team lose to Gold Coast - will not take kindly to your exploits. In fact we'll probably want to strangle you with our well-worn scarves.

September is a sad month for those who don't make the finals, and especially for us Tiger supporters, whose team has not been part of the action since 2001.

Despite attending about 400 games between them, my kids, now aged 13, 11, and 9, have never seen their team in a final let alone a Grand Final.

The oldest was two in 2001, so remembers nothing.

She's now threatening to barrack for the Suns, reasoning that they're going to make the finals before her team.

And she's probably right.

But we never give up.

Each year we keep September free until the last minute, just in case, resisting the urge to plan a weekend away or overseas jaunt until our team is mathematically out of finals contention.

Sometimes this is after Round 3, after which you'll see us muttering "there's always next year".

Then, just when we're resigning ourselves to another six long months without a footy fix, it starts. The finals. You can't turn on a radio without being reminded our team has failed again and everyone you meet wants to talk about their team's chances.

There's no escaping it.

Richmond cheer squad chairman Gerard Egan, who keeps September free until it's mathematically impossible to make the finals, says work colleagues he hasn't heard a peep from all year suddenly pipe up.

They start talking about football, he opines.

They have no idea what they're talking about.

I have to bite my tongue because, if I don't, I'm liable to say something I'm going to regret.

Egan consoles himself with the fact that Jack Riewoldt won this year's Coleman Medal, and is looking forward to Monday, when we get a Brownlow with Trent Cotchin.

Sad, isn't it?

Other friends avoid sad Septembers by warning their children off following the Tigers.

"My seven-year-old told me she was thinking of being a Tigers supporter," says one.

" I told her no on the grounds that it is a world of pain.

"She now goes for Collingwood."

My cousin Kate sums up the pain she has felt since I brainwashed her to follow the Tigers soon after Richmond won its last Grand Final, in 1980.

One of her few finals experiences was losing the 1995 preliminary final to Geelong by 10 goals.

"I was only seven in 1980 and remember watching and being excited, but never thought we wouldn't have another one 32 years later," she says.

"I'm not sure I can inflict that on my son."

On the plus side, we Richmond fans don't have to stress about the exorbitant cost of Grand Final tickets, selling our souls to get one or September wedding invitations.

Back in 2001, when Richmond last made the finals, we almost had convulsions when an invitation arrived to a friend's wedding - on preliminary final weekend.

As I predicted as soon as it arrived, Richmond made it.

Thankfully, we played Brisbane in Brisbane, because if the game had been in Melbourne we would have gone to the footy and probably lost a friend.

My husband and I ended up listening to the game on our radios, occasionally sneaking out to watch the bar TVs. Not that it mattered; we lost by 10 goals.

This year, when we were invited to my son's teacher's wedding on preliminary final weekend, we had no hesitation in accepting.

And when the AFL decided to start the Hawthorn-Adelaide game at 5.15pm, 15 minutes after the wedding begins, we didn't bat an eyelid.

But Hawthorn fans would have had palpitations when they found out their game was going to clash with the wedding.

See, it's not all bad.

Cheryl Critchley is a freelance writer

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/dont-mess-with-finals-starved-tigers/story-e6frfhqf-1226479092686

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Don't mess with finals-starved Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
How many would be fans have we lost due to our shitness for 30 years..

We would have easily been the biggest club in the league if we were half decent in those 30 years.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:47:53 PM »
How many would be fans have we lost due to our pooness for 30 years..

We would have easily been the biggest club in the league if we were half decent in those 30 years.

Just stuff wits like me born into Tigers  :banghead. I'm only 26 and have only seen two finals berths. Except in 1995 I was in grade 4 and I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, and in 2001 I was going through a teenage patch where I was more interested in drinking and girls. I'm so used to us being crap, I haven't seen success so unlike the oldies who saw and crave the glory days I don't know what it's like and it's hard to give a stuff sometimes. I was thinking about this the other day. There would be an entire generation of Tiger supporters like me, and it just shows how irrelevant we are in this competition.

Pls fix kk.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:47:02 AM »

I'm only 26 and have only seen two finals berths. Except in 1995 I was in grade 4 and I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, and in 2001 I was going through a teenage patch where I was more interested in drinking and girls.

No longer interested in drinking and girls?

:cheers

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »

I'm only 26 and have only seen two finals berths. Except in 1995 I was in grade 4 and I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, and in 2001 I was going through a teenage patch where I was more interested in drinking and girls.

no he has moved on to Women, you?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »

Just stuff wits like me born into Tigers  :banghead. I'm only 26 and have only seen two finals berths. Except in 1995 I was in grade 4 and I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, and in 2001 I was going through a teenage patch where I was more interested in drinking and girls. I'm so used to us being crap, I haven't seen success so unlike the oldies who saw and crave the glory days I don't know what it's like and it's hard to give a stuff sometimes. I was thinking about this the other day. There would be an entire generation of Tiger supporters like me, and it just shows how irrelevant we are in this competition.

Pls fix kk.

Interesting to see Mrakov that have raised the 30 year issue again...lets see how that goes down with the forum experts.

Dwaino, perhaps now you will understand why some of us get so frustrated with the way this team performs year in year (out and the vaerage players that some here put on a pedastal) when we have seen so much crap since 1980, barring 1995...
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:28:31 AM »
Lucky we got you to remind us every 5 mins Wat.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:52:10 AM »

no he has moved on to Women, you?

Been happily married for the last 37 years to a wonderful woman.

:thumbsup

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »

:lol  :cheers  :banghead

I live with one and the drinking has increased  :huh actually just kidding she'd kill me if she knew I said that. Not married yet but hopefully soon  ;D she's Carlton so we've both enjoyed hanging it on each others teams this year.

Pls fix kk.

Interesting to see Mrakov that have raised the 30 year issue again...lets see how that goes down with the forum experts.

Dwaino, perhaps now you will understand why some of us get so frustrated with the way this team performs year in year (out and the vaerage players that some here put on a pedastal) when we have seen so much crap since 1980, barring 1995...

That's sort of what I'm trying to say. I get frustrated too... But I don't know what I'm missing. A whole generation of us don't. My old man is a bitter Tiger that would fit right in here, but I will say that currently he is the most optimistic that I can remember him. Not just about one season coming up like in the past but he is pretty confident we're finally on the cusp of something big. Either that, or he's just masochistic ...

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
she's Carlton so we've both enjoyed hanging it on each others teams this year.

Get a pre-nup that states all offspring must be Tigers with a concession for the 16 other clubs.

No Carlscum !

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »

Pls fix kk.

Poor guy
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
Tiger supporters are made of the tough stuff.

Swings and roundabouts. Our time will come again...

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
Tiger supporters are made of the tough stuff.

Swings and roundabouts. Our time will come again...

And when it does, to quote a great Wantirna-ite, Whoa!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
Hey Shezza, couldn't just have written "Stick a fork in me, I'm done"?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.