Author Topic: Brendon Gale wants Tigers to play 'exciting' footy (Age)  (Read 2387 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brendon Gale wants Tigers to play 'exciting' footy (Age)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »
Forgive my nativity WP but how can a football CEO run a football business without having some form of power in how the football team is run?

CEO runs the business but the business ultimately is football? You could have the best CEO in the world but if you are paying awful football it won't be a successful business?

How do other business run Pope? They have a CEO but they also have managers running other departments reporting to the CEO do they not? Same applies.

Or to put it another way lets look at a successful club in Geelong, do you honestly think that Brian Cook has much influence/input into the footy dept or how the footy team is run? Answer is NO; he has Neil Balme in charge of the footy dept and Balme reports to Cook. They also have people running sponsorship, membership depts etc. Cook doesn't run all those depts. he has senior people in place that report to him.

YEs a football clubs core business is football but for it to function successfully it needs to generate the income to invest in football to enable that "product" to be the best it can be.

That is a footy club's CEO ultimate responsibility, to ensure all of the business is strong/successful enough to be able to invest in its core business of football. And that involves delivering other revenues streams so when things on field turn to crap the bottom line isn't completely obliterated.

So as I said the CEO can offer an opinion, voice concerns about the on field but should they have a direct say in recruiting, team selection, gameplan and the style of footy being played? No they shouldn't and the Geelongs & Hawthorns of the comp show that they don't need to
Pretty sure if the performances of the Geelongs and Hawthorns  were hurting the bottom line of the club that he is CEO of, Brain Cook would have a massive say on how the side needs to improve. He might not get into the nitty gritty of it but if they were playing ugly footy that the members and paying supporters didn't want to watch, he would make the changes through the Neil Balmes and then down the line.
The CEO is in charge of the entire club, I know he has managers and people below that but he is the one that ultimately can make the changes in any part of the club, especially if what is happening isn't working. It's his duty. He is not going to sit by and watch all the good work of others go to waste because a coach is to stupid to realize what needs to happen.
At the end of the day if the coaches doesn't want to listen to what the hierarchy wants then he gets sacked.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:04:09 PM by big tone »

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
I'd get too excited if I saw exciting footy.  Like everything it's been a while  :gotigers

tony_montana

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:44 AM »
 :shh

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »
The problem is we are playing unattractive footy AND losing.
People tolerate lock down football if their team is being successful with that style.

I guess in simplistic terms....

Attractive football and winning >  Boring footy and winning  >  Attractive footy and losing  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boring footy and losing.

Unfortunately we are in the last category and thus nobody wants to go to games. :( :'(
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
people have had a gutful of the dbl standards and hypocrisy of dimma, simple as that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
I'd get too excited if I saw exciting footy.  Like everything it's been a while  :gotigers

:lol

:yep

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »

Attractive football and winning >  Boring footy and winning  >  Attractive footy and losing  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boring footy and losing.

If it doubt flow diagram. Well done  :thumbsup And yes i agree we are in the latter. 2012 at least had us playing attractive footy and losing by small margins. It seems like a distant memory now.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

How about playing in an MCG prelim or wait even better a GF. :help

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »
The problem with Richmond is they talk to much & everyone knows what's going on at the club. The club leaks worse than a sewer & Dimma's video on the game are pathetic & the club should stop them. Keep it all in house they might get somewhere.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »

I think that is a reason why you must be a member to get into Punt Road on game day?

Non members and supporters of the other clubs our VFL side play are able to get into VFL games, only difference is they have to pay  ;D

Yep. Sorry about that, I didn't phrase it correctly.
Meant the Punt Road function room upstairs to get a meal and booze.
I'm not positive but I think you must show your membership to get entry to the building.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
The Intelligent Richmond fans saw this problem evolving 6 weeks ago.

Will get worse next year under Hardwick and co.

I seen it 4 years ago

So did I!