Author Topic: Brendon Gale wants Tigers to play 'exciting' footy (Age)  (Read 2398 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Brendon Gale wants Tigers to play 'exciting' footy (Age)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »
Would Gale actually discuss gameplans with Hardwick because going by his comments and Hardwicks game day strategies it would appear they are not in the same universe. Have yet to see anything close to resembling "exciting", in fact due to lowered expectations I get excited when I see them actually string 3 possessions together whilst moving in a forward direction.

TBBH as CEO he should have no input into how the side plays and I doubt that he does. It's just like with recruiting and drafting he has no say (rightly). He can voice an opinion but should not have any influence. It's not his job/role

His job is to run the business not the Footy Dept
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »
Would Gale actually discuss gameplans with Hardwick because going by his comments and Hardwicks game day strategies it would appear they are not in the same universe. Have yet to see anything close to resembling "exciting", in fact due to lowered expectations I get excited when I see them actually string 3 possessions together whilst moving in a forward direction.

TBBH as CEO he should have no input into how the side plays and I doubt that he does. It's just like with recruiting and drafting he has no say (rightly). He can voice an opinion but should not have any influence. It's not his job/role

His job is to run the business not the Footy Dept

Would the CEO normally have anything to do with the recruitment of a new coach? ( Yeah I understand that Gale was appointed after the process of appointing a coach was put into place and he took a back seat in that case)

If so, wouldn't one of the things those making the decision would be on the game plan perspective coaches want to implement?

Surely then, such discussions would not just end when the interviews do?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
Would the CEO normally have anything to do with the recruitment of a new coach? ( Yeah I understand that Gale was appointed after the process of appointing a coach was put into place and he took a back seat in that case)

If so, wouldn't one of the things those making the decision would be on the game plan perspective coaches want to implement?

Surely then, such discussions would not just end when the interviews do?

In order of the above

1/ Yes, most CEOs are included as parto any sub-committee that is established to select a coach. All clubs do that

2/ Yes again as part of the interview process the applicants would present their gameplan (short & long term), list analysis, long term strategy etc

3/ Probably didn't explain myself as well as I could have. So although he would be aware of what the plan was from being part of the interview stage I don't think he should have any input into how the coach "coaches" the side or the the style of footy it plays and I don't believe he does. As I said he can give an opinion but that's all it should be. He shouldn't be telling the coach how to do his job, Just like the coach shouldn't be telling him how to run the business side of the club.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
No, not telling the coach.

Questioning? Yes.

So yeah, there should be discussions on the matter between the two.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »
Dear Brendan,
Gone are the days of blind, foolhardy financial and spiritual support of the program.
If you don't have the solution (either), 'twould be best for ALL concerned that you also stood aside.
The severity of this catastrophe can be measured by crowd attendances and the venting of loyal souls on forums such as OER.
Your supporter base is going, going......
Only way you'll get it back is starting again, and even then, there's no guarantee.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
Wouldn't that be the case for every club though?

Isn't it just the nature of the football clubs that on-field will have a huge impact on business?

Yep true

But the likes of C'wood or Hawthorn have those other revenue streams

As result they make $5 mill plus profits

Supporters are easy to fool than sponsors.
So we ain't getting more sponsor money until AFTER we start winning.
Under the heading "Location, Location, Location" I've always been a little surprised that we cannot find a way to encourage the 2.5 million punters who walk past our training venue to stop and enjoy something - beer, food, the reserves football, pre or post game entertainment during the finals series, cricket etc before going to the MCG or leaving.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
Under the heading "Location, Location, Location" I've always been a little surprised that we cannot find a way to encourage the 2.5 million punters who walk past our training venue to stop and enjoy something - beer, food, the reserves football, pre or post game entertainment during the finals series, cricket etc before going to the MCG or leaving.

Unfortunately it's part of the deal between the council/MCG/AFL that no outside vendors can compete against the licensed MCG vendors.
We are allowed to offer food to our own members or fans at our reserves games but no more than that.
I think that is a reason why you must be a member to get into Punt Road on game day? 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »

I think that is a reason why you must be a member to get into Punt Road on game day?

Non members and supporters of the other clubs our VFL side play are able to get into VFL games, only difference is they have to pay  ;D

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
Forgive my nativity WP but how can a football CEO run a football business without having some form of power in how the football team is run?

CEO runs the business but the business ultimately is football? You could have the best CEO in the world but if you are paying awful football it won't be a successful business?
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
Just shows the whole footy club right at the moment does not know what to and how to react to the current on field plight. A real mess. Next year might be a write off too. :help

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
Forgive my nativity WP but how can a football CEO run a football business without having some form of power in how the football team is run?

CEO runs the business but the business ultimately is football? You could have the best CEO in the world but if you are paying awful football it won't be a successful business?

How do other business run Pope? They have a CEO but they also have managers running other departments reporting to the CEO do they not? Same applies.

Or to put it another way lets look at a successful club in Geelong, do you honestly think that Brian Cook has much influence/input into the footy dept or how the footy team is run? Answer is NO; he has Neil Balme in charge of the footy dept and Balme reports to Cook. They also have people running sponsorship, membership depts etc. Cook doesn't run all those depts. he has senior people in place that report to him.

YEs a football clubs core business is football but for it to function successfully it needs to generate the income to invest in football to enable that "product" to be the best it can be.

That is a footy club's CEO ultimate responsibility, to ensure all of the business is strong/successful enough to be able to invest in its core business of football. And that involves delivering other revenues streams so when things on field turn to crap the bottom line isn't completely obliterated.

So as I said the CEO can offer an opinion, voice concerns about the on field but should they have a direct say in recruiting, team selection, gameplan and the style of footy being played? No they shouldn't and the Geelongs & Hawthorns of the comp show that they don't need to

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
The last thing we want is Gale having any influence over on-field.

The teams he played in won less games than Fitzroy.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »

Unfortunately it's part of the deal between the council/MCG/AFL that no outside vendors can compete against the licensed MCG vendors.
We are allowed to offer food to our own members or fans at our reserves games but no more than that.

Maybe they could put some energy behind striking a new deal?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »
The Intelligent Richmond fans saw this problem evolving 6 weeks ago.

Will get worse next year under Hardwick and co.

I seen it 4 years ago

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 07:41:20 AM »
i seen it 30 years ago  ::)