Author Topic: Beauty Beat: Has the metrosexual thing gone too far? (The Age)  (Read 2742 times)

Ox

Re: Beauty Beat: Has the metrosexual thing gone too far? (The Age)
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
When it is all said and done it's about $$$

If the L'Oreal group is prepared to kick in the $$$ then you take them and put up with the other that goes with it. Not saying I like the whole Matrix Men concept but I'm happy to take the $$$$

I disagree.

We're a traditional Australian football clubrely

If we have bad results again this year it will make us all the more easier to disrespect.

U cant say there weren't other offers on the table,but we go with Matrix men. 
Browns ego jumped at the chance to,"model" - lol

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »
No surprise that L'Oreal chose to associate themselves w a group of men that regularly get bent over.

The contrast between our blokes and Geelongs couldn't be starker.

I see blokes wearing make up and tight jeans its dissapointing - the thought that some blokes should be so weak willed as to bow to the desires of some stupid tart and groom themselves on a similar level w/o respect for how ridiculous they feel.

The funny thing is its all gone arze up because said silly tarts now realise that they can't submiss their evolutionary desires for the normal male and this isn't what they want. Thats what happens when you let a generation of rampant feminists have children.

The other funny thing is footballers thinking they have their finger on the pulse re. style. ROFLMAO - keep chasing the pigskin boys.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

I disagree.

We're a traditional Australian football clubrely

If we have bad results again this year it will make us all the more easier to disrespect.

U cant say there weren't other offers on the table,but we go with Matrix men. 

Browns ego jumped at the chance to,"model" - lol

You're right ())( on that we don't know what other options were on the table.

But I suppose I was just saying that if the Matrix deal was for more $$$ than any others then they would likely go for it. Most Clubs sell to the highest bidder

I do agree though if we have a crap year - this deal will bite them on the behind as it gives plenty of fodder  ;D for the perception of being "weak"  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
Well,  if we do have another crap year, at least we've made a bit of money as well. Being from the old school like a lot of you people sound like, i dont go for men that 'look after themselves" look either, but i can see the attractiveness in them and i can see why they did it, the younger crowd these days go for it in a big way.
Plus, we will have something to blame for our poor performance if we need it ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 04:16:08 AM »
Prez Gary March has made a comment in the Age today about the changing face of footballers ....

Greg Baum | March 22, 2008

Footballers live in a half-world. They are told that their time at the top is likely to be fleeting and that they had better prepare themselves for life post-football, yet are paid so lavishly that there is little incentive for them to develop other skills, even though time is now made for it in their schedules. Almost all dreamed only of playing football, so few can be expected to keep a bigger picture in mind.

Without doubt, footballers are dwelled upon, massively, disproportionately. The vogue term for it is role model, though it is used so often and indiscriminately as to have become nearly meaningless. "Football used to be about the working man's sport, rugged and rough," said Richmond president Gary March recently. "Now it's about appearance and, more importantly, being a role model." March was speaking at the unveiling of a hairdresser as a club sponsor; meantime, three Tigers were having their hair coiffed and dyed.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/bad-boys-do-what-comes-naturally/2008/03/21/1205602664632.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
No surprise that L'Oreal chose to associate themselves w a group of men that regularly get bent over.

The contrast between our blokes and Geelongs couldn't be starker.

I see blokes wearing make up and tight jeans its dissapointing - the thought that some blokes should be so weak willed as to bow to the desires of some stupid tart and groom themselves on a similar level w/o respect for how ridiculous they feel.

The funny thing is its all gone arze up because said silly tarts now realise that they can't submiss their evolutionary desires for the normal male and this isn't what they want. Thats what happens when you let a generation of rampant feminists have children.

The other funny thing is footballers thinking they have their finger on the pulse re. style. ROFLMAO - keep chasing the pigskin boys.

ROFLAMO, spot on mate.  :clapping

Was about to say myself, KY Jelly would have been a great sponsor for us the last 20 odd years.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:15:09 AM by JohnF »

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »

The article says that they selected RFC because we have 30k members and 900k people watched our games last season. So their market segmentation indicated that we have more supporters likely to buy their products, meaning not so much they think the players are a bunch of metrosexual poofs, but that we the supporters are