Author Topic: Beauty Beat: Has the metrosexual thing gone too far? (The Age)  (Read 2746 times)

richmondrules

Beauty Beat: Has the metrosexual thing gone too far? (The Age)
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
L'Oreal is the AFL's latest sponsor. Has the metrosexual thing gone too far?

Have your say below.

http://blogs.theage.com.au/lifestyle/beautybeat/archives/2008/02/hair_balls.html

If footballers use it, it must be pretty manly, right? Well, maybe. A hair care brand has become a sponsor of a football team, apparently for the first time. Whether this is a reflection of the ''metrosexualisation'' of the AFL (League players would be inappropriate brand ambassadors, surely!) or of men's general fascination with their hair is debatable. Perhaps it's simply commonsense marketing by Matrix Men hair care, part of the L'Oreal group: Matrix is hooking up with the Richmond Football Club, which has some 30,000 members and drew 900,000 people to its matches last year.

''Not only will the players looks great on and off the field, it provides a perfect opportunity for the Matrix brand to be communicated to a broad audience,'' says Brent Durrant of Matrix. Quite. Richmond Football Club president Gary March says footy, ''which used to be the working man's sport, rugged an rough'', was now about appearance and ''being a role model''. Four players, including Nathan Brown and Brett Deledio, have been recruited as Matrix Men Style Control System range spokesmen. ''Ten years ago, if someone opened a jar of hair gel in the locker rooms they would have been run out of football,'' March told The Sunday Age.
Have men ''evolved'' so much in the past decade? Do their grooming habits generally involve product - and is it just hair stuff that is acceptable? Is it just the young ones at it? Or just men in the media spotlight? (It's not men in the print media, I can tell you...)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Beauty Beat: Has the metrosexual thing gone too far? (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
I'm beyond help in that department so maybe I am unable to be impartial to the topic.
The best I can do these days for experimentation is a #1, which is probably the best look by a longshot for me .... Roflhelipad  :banghead  :rollin

Metrosexuals are a bit 'happy' though - IMO

Offline Son of Dad

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
'metros' are normall rich boys or famous people...good luck to the boys though if that's their thing, but i wouldn't be caught dead in any of the clothes that pass for metro fashion

give me the knockabout bloke in footy shorts and a singlet any day :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:57:58 PM »
How long before the 'boys' are checking their mascara and foundation before they head out to play? :shh

Metrosexual = A step away from cross dresser :lol

Ox

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
L'Oreal is the AFL's latest sponsor. Has the metrosexual thing gone too far?

Have your say below.

http://blogs.theage.com.au/lifestyle/beautybeat/archives/2008/02/hair_balls.html

If footballers use it, it must be pretty manly, right? Well, maybe. A hair care brand has become a sponsor of a football team, apparently for the first time. Whether this is a reflection of the ''metrosexualisation'' of the AFL (League players would be inappropriate brand ambassadors, surely!) or of men's general fascination with their hair is debatable. Perhaps it's simply commonsense marketing by Matrix Men hair care, part of the L'Oreal group: Matrix is hooking up with the Richmond Football Club, which has some 30,000 members and drew 900,000 people to its matches last year.

''Not only will the players looks great on and off the field, it provides a perfect opportunity for the Matrix brand to be communicated to a broad audience,'' says Brent Durrant of Matrix. Quite. Richmond Football Club president Gary March says footy, ''which used to be the working man's sport, rugged an rough'', was now about appearance and ''being a role model''. Four players, including Nathan Brown and Brett Deledio, have been recruited as Matrix Men Style Control System range spokesmen. ''Ten years ago, if someone opened a jar of hair gel in the locker rooms they would have been run out of football,'' March told The Sunday Age.
Have men ''evolved'' so much in the past decade? Do their grooming habits generally involve product - and is it just hair stuff that is acceptable? Is it just the young ones at it? Or just men in the media spotlight? (It's not men in the print media, I can tell you...)

What a joke!

R we so poo that we have to stoop to the lowest of all levels ?

WTF Do they think they are man? :-*

We don't need this image projected from within the club but we do need some real football attitude.

You would be flat out trying to pull this bucket of s iht off if you WERE the reigning premiers 4 years running,so wtf r we trying to do?

Leave it for other teams,regardless of $$.

This is a distraction we definitely don't need

Ox

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
and fwiw, Lids and Brownie have really ruff heads so who the fvck r they trying to fool.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
Yes that's all we need blokes aspiring to win nomination for Cleo Batchelor of the Year for next season ala Rainsey.
Big Deal. I would rather have 22 Jimmy Jess's lookalikes getting selected every week and playing the game like it was their last than having some player pulling out of a contest in case his botox went astray or crying because his french polished nails broke in a marking contest or getting a big head because he is in a modelling contest and acting like that is his primary objective and working as a footballer as a secondary hobby ala Mr Windsor Smith Brodie Holland.
Metrosexualism has become an industry targeting the young male and these marketers can do no better than advertising footballers to sell their products.  Its shallowness and superficiality to the extreme. Real beauty is not just on the surface.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

Real beauty is not just on the surface.

It's a 50/50 thing really but thats not the point.

The point is footballers who do this crap have got tickets.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
When it is all said and done it's about $$$

If the L'Oreal group is prepared to kick in the $$$ then you take them and put up with the other that goes with it. Not saying I like the whole Matrix Men concept but I'm happy to take the $$$$
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
Raines Snr and Clayton did that tigerskin jocks thing in the 70's. Didn't stop us winning another flag.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »
When it is all said and done it's about $$$

If the L'Oreal group is prepared to kick in the $$$ then you take them and put up with the other that goes with it. Not saying I like the whole Matrix Men concept but I'm happy to take the $$$$

mmm where have i heard that before  sell your soul for the cash  :whistle
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »
Raines Snr and Clayton did that tigerskin jocks thing in the 70's. Didn't stop us winning another flag.

This is true mt but Raines Snr was at the time considered a player who could virtually do what he liked on the field. Jnr is struggling to get a kick and keeps getting wrapped up in tackles.  :help

If these boys don't get a kick..... hehe looking forward to the crowd reaction  :lol 
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 03:32:03 AM »

This is true mt but Raines Snr was at the time considered a player who could virtually do what he liked on the field. Jnr is struggling to get a kick and keeps getting wrapped up in tackles.  :help

If these boys don't get a kick..... hehe looking forward to the crowd reaction  :lol 
The comb and mirror jokes will be flying out  :shh.

True DC but Rainesy jnr has been struggling before becoming a "Matrix Man" this year  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
the only good thing about the matrix sponsorship is.
it may help them gel as a team :pray.

richmondrules

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
the only good thing about the matrix sponsorship is.
it may help them gel as a team :pray.

lol @ dt