Author Topic: Are the Tiges on the right track  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Are the Tiges on the right track
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Moi

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:47:46 AM »
I just feel there's only two teams I'm not confident in beating, and that leaves the rest of them we can.

Which equates to possibly a top four finish this year in my book, which would be fantastic if we acheived that.

Which 2 Moi? Geelong im assuming is one but the Hawks we beat last season. Have to agree though that the hawks will step up another gear this year imo making them difficult to get over. Im comparing ourselves in many ways to the Hawks and was pleased to see them win the gf as it shows that you can come from a long way back and turn it around in a short period of time
Yeah, Hawthorn.  Be silly to think they wouldn't be a formidable task.  Not saying we can't beat them, but I think they're ahead of our development.  The others now don't intimidate me so I think we should do well.  Which means I actually think we're further progressed in the scheme of where we wanted to be.

I also think we're developing the best midfield in the comp.  I just can't imagine how good it's going to be with another preseason under their belt  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:11:30 AM »
yeah I reckon we are

and for now I am just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride  :clapping

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
TW did something that arguably (KB may be the exception here) no other Tigers coach has attempted to do in the last 27 years - rebuild. He used the Cats blueprint as a model even before they had success and recruited a talented group of young players together that could learn, develop and come through together to form a powerful unit. Every year he and the recruiters have attempted to add similiar aged players which are both talented and who fill in gaps until we find ourselves at this point where we have the most exciting group of young players in the league.

well said stripes, my sentiment exactly, TW to his credit has been the only one in living memory to have followed a plan and invested in youth...we're on the right track :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »

well said stripes, my sentiment exactly, TW to his credit has been the only one in living memory to have followed a plan and invested in youth...we're on the right track :gotigers

For all his knockers, poor old KB was the only other one to go down that path.  Unfortunately for him, he had didn't have the same solid financial and managerial support as TW.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »
We may have been forced to do it as we were broke and on our knees when KB was coach but yep he did the right thing filling up the list with young cubs even if some high draft picks were flops like Lounder and Banik. KB's cubs formed the core of our 95 finals side. We just didn't build upon and around that core post-95 and instead paid too few too much of the salary cap.

As for now I think 2008 put us back on track. When Plough first arrived there was an expectation we'd have a short window open up towards the end of his 5-year contract with the older guys still around supplemented by the developing newbies and then a longer sustained window when the younger guys come through together and hit their mid 20s peak. The first shorter finals window may now only be 2 years long 2009-10 with Richo, Browny, Simmo, Sugar, Joel and now Cuz approaching retirement (depends on how long they last and injuries). The way we have targetted gaps in our list in this year's drafts clearly means we are going for finals as the club has publicly said numerous times. We may then dip down for a year or two before rising again say around 2012-13 when the new core hits their mid 20s. Lids and the 2004 draftees would be then 25-26 y.o. whereas Cotch, Vickery and co. would be 22. How well we handle the Gold Coast period of raking the draft will decide how quickly we'll rise again after the Richo years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
 :pray we can only hope.

Ramps

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:59:13 AM »
A couple of key forwards wouldnt go astray in next years draft or via trading.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
A couple of key forwards wouldnt go astray in next years draft or via trading.
Butcher is one in next year's draft but like Watts this year he'll be long gone by the time of our first pick especially if we finish in the top 8 and have a pick in the teens at the earliest. That's why I wouldn't have minded if we took a chance on a 17 year old key forward this year who may have gone top 20 in 2009 but we don't have another pick aside from Cousins thanks to the AFL and Eddie's whinging  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd