Author Topic: Are the Tiges on the right track  (Read 2288 times)

Moi

Are the Tiges on the right track
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
Jack painted a bleak picture of Terry Wallace and did so for a number of years.  Some of you agreed with him.  Do you feel we will achieve our objectives by 2011 or Terry Wallace has been a total failure?

Me, I think everything is going to plan, I'm excited by our kids and the world is fantastic.  So good I can't wait for next year, whereas in the past couple of years I couldn't have cared less.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Are the Tiges on the right track
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
I knew when TW came on board it would take time. I was prepared to be patient. I still am.... but the excitement level has ramped up a bit as I/we watch the kids grow and develop.
Yes.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
I went a yes, although the real test will be the next couple of years.

At the moment all looks good with the rebuilding starting to pay off but the on field performance still has to go up another level.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
I just feel there's only two teams I'm not confident in beating, and that leaves the rest of them we can.

Which equates to possibly a top four finish this year in my book, which would be fantastic if we acheived that.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »
TW did something that arguably (KB may be the exception here) no other Tigers coach has attempted to do in the last 27 years - rebuild. He used the Cats blueprint as a model even before they had success and recruited a talented group of young players together that could learn, develop and come through together to form a powerful unit. Every year he and the recruiters have attempted to add similiar aged players which are both talented and who fill in gaps until we find ourselves at this point where we have the most exciting group of young players in the league.

Other teams may argue that they have younger lists but our week to week team is filled with youth. In fact if you exclude all of the players above 23 from the team our structure would barely change. This to me indicates future success.

Now that we have added players such as Vickery, Post, Hislop, Thomson and probably most importantly for the next 2/3 seasons - Cousins, I think you would find it hard to argue that we are well and truly  on the right track as a club.

We just keep getting better and better every year!

Finals 2009, 2010 +....exciting to imagine! :santa

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:10:58 PM »
I just feel there's only two teams I'm not confident in beating, and that leaves the rest of them we can.

Which equates to possibly a top four finish this year in my book, which would be fantastic if we acheived that.

Agree there, I think there are two outstandingly good teams and two outstandingly bad/developing teams.

I think it will be the closest it has been for ages from between 3 and 14 on the ladder.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »
best thing i have seen the RFC is this week when they took a chance.

ill reserve my answer come season's end.

no finals= failure in a massive way
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
best thing i have seen the RFC is this week when they took a chance.

ill reserve my answer come season's end.

no finals= failure in a massive way

Have to agree with that finals statement. With the draw we have and the pressure for spots across the team finals have to be the measuring stick in 2009 with or without Cousins playing

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
I have voted yes, but the Plough needs to make the finals now. After recruiting Hislop, Thomson and Cousins he has no excuses.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »
Like Moi, I have continually supported TW since he came to us and I believe my faith will be rewarded very soon.
The thing that has impressed me the most about the club over the past few years has been the strategic recruitment with a focus on rebuilding. No more band-aid solutions and signing duds to long term contracts. We have pinpointed our deficiencies clearly and made moves to rectify them. Decisions have been made that have not been popular to some fans but every decision that has been made has been calculated and with a view to long term success.

2007 was a defining year where the club learned a lot about itself and the improvements in 2008 clearly show that we are rebuilding in all the right places. Sure it was another ninth, but I have never been more excited and optimistic about a ninth finish in the 39 years I have been supporting the club. There is now officially pressure for positions and this is something that we haven't had for a very long time.  :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
Where is Jack?

Did he die or something.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Terry is on last chance saloon.
If the Cousins Hislop Thompson deals all flop somehow TW will bear the brunt of the backlash and he will be gone. That's not to say that if we fail to make the 8 the incumbent coach will have nothing to work with as we have a nice base of some good young and talented kids. So that's why I went yes also.
We are all just hoping that the Cuz will fastrack our development and success ahead of schedule.

Moi

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Where is Jack?

Did he die or something.
He'll be back when we lose  :wallywink

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »

Which 2 Moi? Geelong im assuming is one but the Hawks we beat last season. Have to agree though that the hawks will step up another gear this year imo making them difficult to get over. Im comparing ourselves in many ways to the Hawks and was pleased to see them win the gf as it shows that you can come from a long way back and turn it around in a short period of time

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
We haven't even made the finals yet. Still a long way to go and of our younger lot, Deledio and Cotchin I am sure will be stars, but we need 3-4 more to join thenm as bona fide stars. Bit worried about key positions.

But the list is in good shape and if we don't continue our improvement and comfortably make the finals the list will be in decent shape for a new coach to come in and challenge the kids again with a board with a track record of supporting the coach (apart from one or two media hiccups).