Author Topic: Craig Cameron is our new footy manager [merged]  (Read 23673 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Craig Cameron is our new director of football / just been confirmed
« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
Cameron will be interviewed on SEN on 'the run home' sometime this arvo with Francis and Ox.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Our new footy manager [merged]
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »
The new football manager wouldn't actually be overseeing the trades or list management, but managing the people who are responsible for those areas.

Seems he always was going to

“As head of our football department, Craig Cameron will oversee the draft and recruiting process together with Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson,” Wright said.

If we had of known that Cameron was the only logical choice this late in the day. What does Craig Cameron do now that he never used to do? What about Paul Armstrong? Where does this leave him?

Armstrong is football operations manager (off-field footy matters). Cameron as general manager of football would be his boss as he would be Francis Jackson and Wallace's boss. Cameron now will oversee the whole footy dept and answerable to the Board. As list manager he was only in charge of the make-up of our playing list and recruiting.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

The fact that we head hunted several people from other clubs and they all knocked us back is very alarming.

That's the thing that is the real concern

As I said I have no problem with Cameron's appointment but knowing so many knocked us back is a concern.

Why did they knock us back?

I think it was more them not wanting to leave their current jobs than something wrong with us.

:rollin

I would have thought this position would have been a promotion and also significantly more $$$ to most people we were after.

Let's hope that CC does well in the job.
If there's perceived instability from outside looking in even if it's mostly media driven that wouldn't make outsiders that comfortable giving up their current positions to come to Richmond.

All we've done if what Essendon and Carlton did with their coaching positions last year. Sack the old guy on the basis we're getting in early to find the best candidate and when everyone we were interested says no, go for bloke who is in the office next door to the one we've sacked  :whistle. A farce in the end by not uncommon at footy clubs.

I hope Cameron does a massively better job than he did at Melbourne when it comes to recruiting. I wasn't over the moon when we got him as list manager because of his record at the Dees let alone general manager of our whole footy department. He hasn't overseen the building of a premiership list. This upcoming draft is crucial to us building further to the young core we already have now for us to become a consistenly successful/finals side.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: September 23, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »

The fact that we head hunted several people from other clubs and they all knocked us back is very alarming.

As I said I have no problem with Cameron's appointment but knowing so many knocked us back is a concern.

i of course am just speculating as well....but who is to say that these candidates knocked us back???
i mean they applied for the job and we interviewed them....it's quite possible that after that process we found these candidates to be not what we're lookng for and would not fit the role and we knock them back....is that not possible???....

media sometimes report "so and so dropped out of the running" but it can definitely be that they dropped out cos after the interview they found that they cannot meet what RFC expect out of GM

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2008, 12:51:30 AM »
i of course am just speculating as well....but who is to say that these candidates knocked us back???
i mean they applied for the job and we interviewed them....it's quite possible that after that process we found these candidates to be not what we're lookng for and would not fit the role and we knock them back....is that not possible???....

media sometimes report "so and so dropped out of the running" but it can definitely be that they dropped out cos after the interview they found that they cannot meet what RFC expect out of GM
Did you find it humourous when Essendon & Carlton fired Sheedy & Pagan well before the season finished to make sure they got the best candidate, only to promote Knights & Ratten who were already at the club as assistants?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Craig Cameron media articles 24/9/08
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2008, 03:17:16 AM »
Greg Denham in The Australian

Richmond yesterday announced list and strategy manager Craig Cameron has had his position upgraded to that of general manager of football operations.

Cameron joined Richmond this year after more than a decade at Melbourne in recruiting and list management.

The Tigers took several months to finally fill the role that was left vacant by the sacking of Greg Miller, mainly because a number of nominated candidates rejected the position. Richmond's No 1 target was former player Neil Balme, who this year signed a new two-year deal to remain as Geelong's general manager of football operations.

Others who either declined the role or were in the mix included Peter Schwab, Chris Pelchen, Robert Shaw, Danny Corcoran, Dan Richardson and Tim Harrington.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24392758-5012432,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Craig Cameron media articles 24/9/08
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2008, 03:31:09 AM »
Snippet from Sportal

"I'm a left-fielder," Cameron said. "I wasn't working towards this when I started here in February as a list and strategy manager and that's where I thought I would be for the next four or five years."

"I didn't consider it at the start - I just thought as the process went on and talking to a few people around the club that it might have been an option."

"I wasn't encouraged directly by people within the club."

------------------------
"We need to make sure that we don't take this year's burst at the end of the season as an indication that we're already on the way and there's nothing more to be done," Cameron said.

"We need to keep working and have a plan going forward."

"We need to play finals at some point and show that we've got sustainable ability on the field over a couple of years."

--------------
"After a long and exhaustive search, it is pleasing that we found our ideal candidate internally," Steven Wright said.

"Craig is held in extremely high regard throughout the football industry and we are delighted that he’ll be continuing his association with our club in this new capacity.

"As head of our football department, Craig will oversee the draft and recruiting process together with recruiting manager Francis Jackson."

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/tigers-plan-ahead-57334

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:35 AM »
Michael Gleeson | The Age | September 24, 2008

Cameron, who was confirmed in the Tigers' senior football position yesterday only seven months after he joined the club as the list manager, said the club was well placed with young talent, which left it open to trades for mature players. He was doubtful that that would include drafting Ben Cousins.

"We have to be open-minded about trades, I wouldn't like to put us in hole and not take anyone over 25. But I think our philosophy will be to go to the draft," Cameron said. "At this stage, I think (Cousins) is probably not one for us."

Richmond's older players will remain at the club next year. The club is finalising a contract with Joel Bowden and negotiations are continuing with captain Kane Johnson for next season, while Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown and Troy Simmonds are all contracted.

"I don't think the older guys are ready to drop off the perch right this second, so I imagine that some of them might play on beyond next year," Cameron said. "So maybe we can squeeze a little bit more of them (to bridge the gap as the younger players mature)."

Cameron's appointment came after a lengthy process, and one that troubled coach Terry Wallace for his lack of involvement in selection for the important position. With Wallace in the final year of his five-year contract next year, the renewal or otherwise of his contract will be one of the most significant issues confronting Cameron.

"Terry and I have spoken about that and at the moment, he is comfortable with where things are at in terms of he has a year to go and it will play itself out and outside of that, we probably won't talk about it too much," Cameron said.

"There is no doubt the groundwork is done in terms of the list, we need to keep adding to it.

"If you look at the age breakdown and the number of games played and finals games, a lot of the work needed is just time and whether Terry is the right guy to take that to the next step is a decision we have to make in the next 12 months."

The Tigers will hire two new recruiting staff and Francis Jackson will remain as head recruiter while Cameron manages the list and contracts. All assistant coaches who were out of contract have been re-signed and further coaches may yet be hired.

"I think the important thing for us is to bring in a long-term strategy and make sure that we have an operational plan that underpins that strategy, so we need to make sure we don't take this year's burst at the end of the season as an indication that we are on the way and there is nothing more to be done," he said.

"We need to make sure we have a plan going forward."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-keep-polak-on-list/2008/09/23/1221935640785.html
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24393549-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Craig Cameron is our new footy manager [merged]
« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »
Greg Denham hammered Craig Cameron's appointment on KB's show this morning (not that Denham is much of a judge when it comes to making accurate statements).

"What are they doing down at Richmond KB. Cameron is a nice bloke but he wouldn't even sack his tea lady. Richmond are going to have to make some hard decisions about their list over the next couple of years. I wouldn't think Cameron is the man for the job when you look back at his track record at Melbourne."

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #279 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
"There is no doubt the groundwork is done in terms of the list, we need to keep adding to it.
Pleasing to hear. Let's hope this upcoming draft backs up the talk. It's just not time we need though. The recruiting staff need to deliver in the next two drafts and fill the ruck, key forward and ballwinning mid deficiencies on our list before the new teams come in. We need then more than 3 picks per draft.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »

surely your taking the pee.

we knocked "the candidates back" hahaha. 2 many biscoty's for you pal.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2008, 04:21:12 AM »
The Tigers will hire two new recruiting staff and Francis Jackson will remain as head recruiter while Cameron manages the list and contracts.

Maybe we are going to follow the Hawthorn model of a recruiter on each side of the country. They have Buckenara as their western-based recruiting manager in Perth and Graham Wright as their eastern-based recruiting manager in Melbourne, and they are both overseen by Hawthorn's list manager and recruiting boss, Chris Pelchen.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24398656-19742,00.html