Author Topic: Our KPD's are overated  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Our KPD's are overated
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
Rance is 193cm and i think should be played at CHB while Moore is out injuried.

agree with you Ramps about Rance's disposal, he has a lot of trouble hitting targets by hand and foot.

however he is playing his first year of AFL. we have time to develop him if Richmond have any development.

i like McGuane, Moore, i see your point with Moore, but i think he can play. he has been injuried which has be obvious. he is in his mid 20's but i think he

is a keeper.

Thursfield is ok as a stopper. just needs muscle. however on this website, some people have said 'Sydney' are looking for a defender. but i would keep all

four.

remember boys, three of them are under 23
, thats our future.
Right.  I want to trade the one that's over 23 while he still has value.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
Pidgeon holing playing based on a difference in height of 1-2 cm from the ideal is pretty silly
Its about |----|----| that much difference

Yes, but the players I mentioned are more than just 1-2 cm's from the ideal. They are more like 4-5 cm's too short for the positions they're playing. When you add the fact that they're also about 10kg lighter than a lot of their opponents, they are fighting a long way out of their division in boxing parlance. 
Rance is 193cm so is only 2cm off 195cm and McGuane plays taller than he is considering he's mostly matched up on 196cm+ opponents and does quite well. The weight issue will come with more time in the game, however the new rules that make a backmans job harder has moved away from your big powerful defenders. The most important aspect in a defender now is closing speed. Teams know that a key forward in a 1 on 1 contest near the goals is something they need to aim for, however defensive structures and zoning mean this is quite rare for this to happen.

The problem with trading one of them for a draft pick, firstly, the are very few kpps in this draft of quality, even Butcher is expected to slip. Secondly you need to wait 4 years to see if they turn out any better than what we've already got.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

[/quote]
Rance is 193cm so is only 2cm off 195cm and McGuane plays taller than he is considering he's mostly matched up on 196cm+ opponents and does quite well. The weight issue will come with more time in the game, however the new rules that make a backmans job harder has moved away from your big powerful defenders. The most important aspect in a defender now is closing speed. Teams know that a key forward in a 1 on 1 contest near the goals is something they need to aim for, however defensive structures and zoning mean this is quite rare for this to happen.

The problem with trading one of them for a draft pick, firstly, the are very few kpps in this draft of quality, even Butcher is expected to slip. Secondly you need to wait 4 years to see if they turn out any better than what we've already got.
[/quote]

I didn't actually mention Rance. I was commenting specifically on Moore McGuane and Thursfield. But on the subject of Alex: Now that he has nearly a whole season under his belt, I imagine in 2010 he'll step up from the sweeping defender role that he played this year while his body was still developing, into probably a CHB.
I agree with you that closing speed is absolutely essential in a defender, and unfortunately that is why I believe that Jarrod Silvester will struggle at AFL level.
I also agree that Thirsty, Moore and McGuane have all done brilliantly playing against bigger and stronger opponents. Sometimes they have managed to curb them,and other times they haven't.But I'd still like to see a situation where we have a "monster" defender or two to play on the many monster forwards of the competition.This current
scenario reminds me of a few years back when Gaspar was regularly playing on the giants. He would perform really admirably, but I'd be thinking "gee, I'll be glad when we draft a proper full-back,and he can go back to a half-back flank where he's more ideally suited." As we know, it never happened in his time.I just hope we don't ignore this gaping hole on our list once again.