Author Topic: Key decisions - RFC (Next 9 months)  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Key decisions - RFC (Next 9 months)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
So Pope, what's worse gifting unproven recruits a game before they are ready or gifting average 'journeymen' games based on experience?

I agree that Nahas, McGuane, White and Jackson are all getting games when they don't deserve them. Essendon were more than happy to let Jackson have infinite amount of possessions last night because they know he wouldn't hurt them at worst and at best turn the ball over. Yes he speaks well, yes is is intelligent and a leader off field but this game is played on the field and Jackson is a liability.

Nahas is and always has been too small and is now too slow. Waste of space.

McGuane did not get much of a chance last night with the lack and quality of delivery. With this in mind though, he is nothing more than a good honest toiler. Throw Griffiths in or McBean (his forms warrants it) and tell them their defensive pressure and ability to present and bring the ball to ground is what they will be judged on rather than just goals and it becomes a learning experience for the lads too. If neither are ready physically then A Edwards should be given a game with the same instructions.

White is depth. He should never be played in front of a midfielder in form. He hasn't the skills or decision making ability to become a lock player. Speed and run - that's it.

Maric shouldn't have been given a game nor Foley. Both are still carrying injuries and/or are underdone. Foley turned the ball over at will and Maric couldn't get out of a jog or jump.

It takes a loss to see the obvious cracks that were hidden beneath the shine. We can't make the whole-sale changes you suggest but the selection panel needs to look long and hard at their plan for the year and seek to transition all of the players you mentioned out and give the younger guys a taste.

Lonegan  :facepalm

They will not thou.

Cause they are in it for the short term. Like politicians.

Whats best for the list in five years time matters not when they only care for their own backsides and short time goals. ie. coming 8th on the back of McGaune, Jackson and friends.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
I cant believe people want to see Kingy removed...sheesh I sometimes wonder.
As for Griff ..if he's spat the dummy because he got dropped, then seriously is that the type of character  we want going forward.

I'm a huge fan of King, but he'll be 30 at the beginning of next season? He needs to be replaced soon, we have absolutely nothing resembling a small forward coming through the ranks. Do we wait 2 years until he retires to play a small forward or do we do it now when we are no chance of winning a flag?

Same can be said for Newman, as much as I'm a big fan of Newman, how serious are we at winning a flag and building a team ready to play finals and contest for top 4. If we are serious then some hard calls need to be made and maybe blooding someone like Dea for the next 2 years is a better decision long term than giving Newman the rest of this season and next season until he retires and someone like Dea misses out on 30 games of experience.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
So Pope, what's worse gifting unproven recruits a game before they are ready or gifting average 'journeymen' games based on experience?

I agree that Nahas, McGuane, White and Jackson are all getting games when they don't deserve them. Essendon were more than happy to let Jackson have infinite amount of possessions last night because they know he wouldn't hurt them at worst and at best turn the ball over. Yes he speaks well, yes is is intelligent and a leader off field but this game is played on the field and Jackson is a liability.

Nahas is and always has been too small and is now too slow. Waste of space.

McGuane did not get much of a chance last night with the lack and quality of delivery. With this in mind though, he is nothing more than a good honest toiler. Throw Griffiths in or McBean (his forms warrants it) and tell them their defensive pressure and ability to present and bring the ball to ground is what they will be judged on rather than just goals and it becomes a learning experience for the lads too. If neither are ready physically then A Edwards should be given a game with the same instructions.

White is depth. He should never be played in front of a midfielder in form. He hasn't the skills or decision making ability to become a lock player. Speed and run - that's it.

Maric shouldn't have been given a game nor Foley. Both are still carrying injuries and/or are underdone. Foley turned the ball over at will and Maric couldn't get out of a jog or jump.

It takes a loss to see the obvious cracks that were hidden beneath the shine. We can't make the whole-sale changes you suggest but the selection panel needs to look long and hard at their plan for the year and seek to transition all of the players you mentioned out and give the younger guys a taste.

Lonegan  :facepalm

Its a good question Stripes that can only be answered by what you are trying to achieve and where you are at as a footy club.

We are a mid table club now, which to the credit of the club is an improvement to where we were when Hardwick took over. Lets not forget we were going through what Melbourne are going through 3 seasons ago. We certainly have developed.

Stripes, we need more genuine personel on field if we are to improve, I think we can all agree on that. If we are happy with making up the numbers in the competetion and at best finishing 7th or 8th, then we continue with the 'good servents' and competeing with the other mid table teams but never being able to achieve success at a top 4 level.
If we are serious about going up a gear we need to be putting games and experience into untried talent and see what sort of diamonds we can uncover. We are not going to be a top 4 side in next couple of seasons with McGuane, Jackson, Nahas, White, Lonergan, King, Newman with 30 extra games under their belt.

Why not?
McGuane has been given a stack of chances, shows the odd 'surprising' game but thats about it. Is never composed and makes blunders that you associate with someone like Setanta O'Hailpin or some import that hasn't played much footy. He shows very little, if any, potential to improve. He is treading water and boardering on the lines of 'AFL standard'. So I'm confused why he is being picked ahead of guys like Griffiths, McBean, Astubury, Elton - who I'm sure will have worse games than McGuane have had but all have a greater potential and oppurtunity to improve, which will leave our list stronger in 2 seasons time.

Same to be said about Jackson, would rather see Arnot develop at AFL level and see what happens then leave Jackson, the good servant, continually let the club and fans down with things out of his control. Jackson's effort is sensational but his skill level, decision making and execution is well below the standard needed to be a finals team. He will be competetive and effective against other mid table sides but has proven over half a decade that against top 4 or even top 6 teams he's not effective enough. Why not try Arnot full time for the next year and a half, he may flop but in 2 years time Jackson will be 30 anyway thus not losing anything except a few good performances against mid range sides.

More examples with Nahas, White and co.

Just give game time to some raw talent instead of the "good servant" band aid players. Unless we are satisfied with a side that will be mid table for the next 2 years with a huge reliance on our top tier to win us the game each week, we need to develop our bottom 0-10 players and that can be done by unearthing some talent in our untried youth in the 2nds.
Go Tigers!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
I agree with you re Jackson and McGuane Pope. I would love to see Griff or McBean be given a try as the third tall. Same with Jackson. Arnot should have played instead of Lonegan though before Jackson. I hope when Conca, Ellis and Tuck return we see Lonegan, Nahas and Jackson go but we won't because White will make way before Jackson does.  >:(

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Dimma has said in the past Jako is the first name on the team sheet each week. :help
There is a huge problem for me and most other RFC supporters.