Author Topic: Tigers seek small defender  (Read 1100 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers seek small defender
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:46:44 AM »
Tigers seek small defender
By Melissa Ryan
Whitsundays
The Age
June 22, 2005

Richmond is in the market for a tough small defender, after pinpointing small forwards as a big obstacle for the club in its mid-season review last night.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace said with the likes of Stephen Milne, Matthew Lappin, Ashley McGrath, Adem Yze and Phil Matera having kicked bags of five goals against Richmond this season, someone had to emerge or the club would recruit a ready-made defender to handle the goalsneaks.

"I've spoken to Greg Miller and asked him to find me a 22-year-old who is defensively tough and will do a job on small forwards. They'd get a 10-year career with the club," Wallace said. "It's either got to come from here, or come from outside of here, so if you think you can fill that role, we desperately need it at the footy club."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/21/1119321731619.html?from=storyrhs

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers seek small defender
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 04:49:34 PM »
"I've spoken to Greg Miller and asked him to find me a 22-year-old who is defensively tough and will do a job on small forwards. They'd get a 10-year career with the club," Wallace said. "It's either got to come from here, or come from outside of here, so if you think you can fill that role, we desperately need it at the footy club."

If we hunt for a small defender outside it better come cheap. It's not a position that'll win us games. Back pockets should be a dime a dozen but we only seem to have Hartigan. I guess there's always Torney
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:51:37 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:34:06 PM »
Gotta come cheap MT.

But maybe when TW says find him a tough 22 year old he isn't talking about one we have seen playing League footy for another club.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 05:03:08 AM »
Apart from Hartigan no one on our list springs to mind. Moore and Archibald are more utility types in the Kellaway mold while say a Newman, Jackson or Raines are more midfielders/flankers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 04:10:23 PM »
What about Foley?

He has good skills, a footy brain and is fairly strong when tackling.

Perhaps he is an option

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)