Author Topic: Do we need a full rebuild like Carltank ?  (Read 1142 times)

Gigantor

Re: Do we need a full rebuild like Carltank ?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:58 PM »
Evolving is certainly not the scatter gun approach some here advocate

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »
I'd like to see around 6 list changes , 4 new rookies and that would be a decent boost to an already very healthy list  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
Tony I agree with you but I have read posts here where if I'm not mistaken people advocate turning over 9,10,12 players ,is that not a rebuild.....
I reckon if we are  going to target mature age players target the elite,at least then you get people who can change the landscape immediately and for the better

You can turn over that many players without it being a rebuild. Depends on how you go about it, eg which players you get rid of and who you replace them with.

Clubs should always be looking to improve their lists and doing regular renovations. A good club should only need to embark on a full rebuild every 20 years or so IMO.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »
we need a continuation of the rebuild that started in 09 and ended in 2011.
we had good processes in place that actually gradually improved the list. for some unknown reason those processes have gone out the window.
to me every yr is a part of an ongoing process there isnt really full on rebuilds for anyone. we go thru good processes and build and eventually maintain our list. its always on going.

we need to turn over more players more often rebuild or not. ffs hawthorn won a flag and turned over 9, and they have probably turned at least that number over most  yrs since 01.

personally i think without doing any harm at all we could put a line thru half the list and then theres probably another 10 who live on nothing but promise. yep we have a lot of work to do. would like to see at least 10 turnovers this yr which includes rookies.
i dont care how we do it just as long as we balance our drafting and recruiting out by taking our fair share of kids thus looking after the long term future.
i really hope they go back to setting out strict criteria when taking players. i seriously hope with most players they are aiming for at the worst good honest players at worst no more of this nonsense of topping up with very deficient players as backup  we must set the bar at a reasonable level.
if those in charge cant find players who meet good criteria then perhaps its time to pee those recruiters off.

for mine the rebuild has been since 2004 - 5 top 20 draft pick

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
I'd like to see around 6 list changes , 4 new rookies and that would be a decent boost to an already very healthy list  :clapping

So you are advocating 4 existing rookies be flicked or upgraded to the senior list?

What are you saying they should do with Darrou, William, Banfield etc (no point in including Thomas because blind freddy can see what's going to happen there?) Flick or keep?

So if you intend on keeping them by promoting them are you saying we make another 6 changes on top of that or are those part of the 6?

And why if IYV the list is so healthy why the need for so many changes? Are you just quietly covering all bases?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)