Author Topic: Do we need a full rebuild like Carltank ?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Do we need a full rebuild like Carltank ?
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »
Or is our list in decent shape going forward ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Do we need a full rebuild like Carltank ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »
Nope the core is there

Miles vlastuin martin cotchin deledio Rance jack etc

Just need a ccach and some other capable people

Favouritism towards the oldest players on the list isbhurting

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
Nope the core is there

Miles vlastuin martin cotchin deledio Rance jack etc

Just need a ccach and some other capable people

Favouritism towards the oldest players on the list isbhurting

+1 to this. It's not like Carltank has had a lot of success with their plethora of top picks.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
Troll thread

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
Troll thread
well now that you've arrived it is

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
Troll thread

Have to pay that.  :)

qftt.

We have too many middle road players.  Need some class.  Going to need to trade hard.  Would like to see us trade for 4 top 20 selections and pick up some good kids.

Failing that, Carltank would be plan B.  Tiges just don't do that, we like to top up too much.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
Troll thread

:lol not bad. But seriously it is

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
Troll thread

:lol not bad. But seriously it is
you must've missed the part where we've won only 5 games this season

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
List isn't as bad as some make out, but stall another year or 2 under the current mantra and it will be stuffed... get rid of 10-12 players and replace them with young talent to rejuvenate.

the claw

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
we need a continuation of the rebuild that started in 09 and ended in 2011.
we had good processes in place that actually gradually improved the list. for some unknown reason those processes have gone out the window.
to me every yr is a part of an ongoing process there isnt really full on rebuilds for anyone. we go thru good processes and build and eventually maintain our list. its always on going.

we need to turn over more players more often rebuild or not. ffs hawthorn won a flag and turned over 9, and they have probably turned at least that number over most  yrs since 01.

personally i think without doing any harm at all we could put a line thru half the list and then theres probably another 10 who live on nothing but promise. yep we have a lot of work to do. would like to see at least 10 turnovers this yr which includes rookies.
i dont care how we do it just as long as we balance our drafting and recruiting out by taking our fair share of kids thus looking after the long term future.
i really hope they go back to setting out strict criteria when taking players. i seriously hope with most players they are aiming for at the worst good honest players at worst no more of this nonsense of topping up with very deficient players as backup  we must set the bar at a reasonable level.
if those in charge cant find players who meet good criteria then perhaps its time to pee those recruiters off.

Gigantor

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »
I swear some of you folks are more than happy to be continously rebuilding and never getting out that phase.instead of getting some backbone into the existing list.A bit like john  Northey did ever so fleetingly in the mid 90s

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
don't mistake rebuilding for evolving - clubs need to constantly evolve and that means consistent turnover and drafting of new young talent, miss 2-3 years and all of a sudden there is a hole 4-5 years down the track

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
Bring back Northey and steal a good recruiter or 4 from somewhere.

But seriously we arent crap. Were middle of the road. We need to build on that not restart. But with kids kids and more kids. A few retreads but dont give up any more 2nd rounds picks for potatoes pleeez.  Whar id prefer with retreads is players who were exceptional but are discarded for some reason. Usually bad behaviour but injury or age are  valid.  Chapman is a good example he shows skill and character under pressure. He is too slow now and is getting caught out but he would have been good for 1 year. Better than Newman.  I would have gone for Leon Neon Davis too.  But most of these retreads you get in the PSD or you get Gourdis.

Better to get has beens  rather than another Gourdis

Gigantor

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Tony I agree with you but I have read posts here where if I'm not mistaken people advocate turning over 9,10,12 players ,is that not a rebuild.....
I reckon if we are  going to target mature age players target the elite,at least then you get people who can change the landscape immediately and for the better

the claw

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
Tony I agree with you but I have read posts here where if I'm not mistaken people advocate turning over 9,10,12 players ,is that not a rebuild.....
I reckon if we are  going to target mature age players target the elite,at least then you get people who can change the landscape immediately and for the better
without doing the homework id say the average turnover each yr for all clubs would be 7 or 8 players.
its easy to see why this is so as well. retirements , long shot rookies and late draft picks where it is well documented about so few ever making it.  disgruntled players players wanting more money mate to me 7 or 8 each yr is evolving.
when you have so many hacks like we do we need to turn over a few more.

reckon you need to understand exactly what evolving is and just how many need to go each yr just to satisfactorily evolve.