Author Topic: Changes for the Bulldogs game?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Changes for the Bulldogs game?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
Gordon is good for sub
hes a dud.in saying that he  would undoubtedly  do  a better job as defensive fwd than morris did on thursday.  no one can be that bad can they.

We have close to eleven duds I our best 22.
I think a dud as sub is good damage control.
fair enough makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »
Claw, that's as much sense as you've ever made . I can't believe the mug hysteria that constantly fingered Thomas s place in the side. The elim final showed us for lacking another big bodied inside mid, Jackson would have been handy, not many would have agreed but Thomas may have offset the slaughter that unfolded by getting first hands on the footy. Nevertheless we have a gap in the side and I imagne this is what ellis was recruited for longer term

That'd be right - the one time claw sticks up for a hack is the one time you agree with him.  As for the notion that bringing in the slowest player in the AFL would've helped us against the fastest side in the AFL.....yeah righteo....
hey hey i object. ive stuck up for plenty of duds.and yes i realise im not doing  myself any favors here  ;D

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 12:14:48 AM »

finally people think miles replaced tuck and then thomas . id say miles has replaced foley and we are still searching for that big inside mid. atm imo thomas is the closest thing we have to big inside.

I'm hoping C. Ellis could become our "big" inside mid. He's not really all that tall but IMO he has a frame that could really fill out and become rock solid. Obviously that's just guess work but on top of that and his apparent good work on the inside we might finally have an inside mid who is there for more than his big body and actually as a little bit of class to him.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:40 PM »

finally people think miles replaced tuck and then thomas . id say miles has replaced foley and we are still searching for that big inside mid. atm imo thomas is the closest thing we have to big inside.

I'm hoping C. Ellis could become our "big" inside mid. He's not really all that tall but IMO he has a frame that could really fill out and become rock solid. Obviously that's just guess work but on top of that and his apparent good work on the inside we might finally have an inside mid who is there for more than his big body and actually as a little bit of class to him.

Good one  ;)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
this is the 22 id like see us go with.along with how the wb may line up based on their side last week.again i try to pick a side where we have the best chance to go one v one .if our plans break down this is where you end up.
imo its also a side that gives us the greatest flexability if needed. from the mids onballers back it wasnt too hard to pick not to say we dont have problems  here.  but trying to pick a decent fwd line is hard.there are just so few good options.

fb:  Morris 185/83 - Astbury 195/95 - Grimes 193/89
ff:  d/haus 178/77 - boyd  200/103 -  stringer 192/88

hb: Vlastuin 187/86  - chaplin 195/97  -  rance  194/ 96
hf:  dickson 184/84  -  redpath 194/99 -  crameri 190/97

c:  mcintosh 192/92   -   martin 187/88   -  hunt 184/78   
c:  mc rae 191/83  - m boyd 184/84  - picken 184/83

r:  maric 201/102  -  cotchin 185/85  -  miles 180/80
r: minsob 199/106  - btompelli 192/90 -  wallis 185/85

hf:  edwards 182/82 - griffiths 200/101  -  knights 184/84
hb:johannisen 180/79 - rhead 200/101 -  murphy 187/84

ff : lloyd 180/83  -   riewoldt 195/91  -   gordon 186/89
fb: wood 186/84  -  talia  194/93  -  morris   190/88

int: ellis  -  lambert 178/75 - houli 180/83 -  petterd 185/85
int: jong 188/89 -  hchurch 176/71 - goodes 183/89 - grant 193/83

okay 4 changes and we all know thats not going to happen. the changes anyway are.

astbury for batchelor. nothing against batchelor he had a servicable game last week.  but i dont see a good match up for him this week.horses for courses.
knights for deledio. basically a polished medium sized fwd who can go into the midfield mix, for a polished medium sized mid who has spent a lot of his time fwd. best outcome  of a bad deal imo.
lambert for grigg. blokes been great he brings that competetive edge that grigg just doesnt have.i dont think shaun had a good game anyway time to reward some good form.
petterd for newman, newmad did what again very little. in fairness though he had limited game time. he  is performing what role thats the question. just think petterd will give more and give  us much better options either as a fwd or in the middle.

the thinking behind that team

Backline- In Dahlhaus they have a quick ball winning goal sneak, we need a quick accountable defender on him. Sad but true but morris is the only one of his type on the list who can perform this role which is even more puzzling why they insist on playing him fwd. hunt could possibly perform the role but why do away with the run he provided last week. Morris comes back this week for mine.it wont happen though.

I picked Astbury to play on Boyd, Imo Astbury has done well against the taller sized kpfs.
 I picked Grimes over Batchelor to play on stringer. Grimes has better closing speed,  is imo better on the ground than Batchelor and isnt giving away inches.

Rance to Crameri. Crameri likes to run his opponents  around and accumulate possesions. Hes big bodied and dangerous. Rance will run with him and hes big enough to cover him in 1v1 contests. The thing im looking for here is for alex to run off as often as possible work the bugger over and make him accountable. Theres enough talls there to cover and Mcintosh is a big mid who will drop back as well in fact if things go wrong Mcintosh is a defensive option.

Chaplin well hes the concern gave him Redpath hes a good size to take him on and should not get caught out for pace just needs to play accountable and smart.

Lastly Vlastuin gets a similar sized player in dickson i love vlastuin in defense because while he reads the play well, finds plenty of ball, uses it well hes a defense first player your defenders must be able to defend.

Mids - I think the match ups speak for themselves, i  do like the idea of both hunt and mcintosh on the wings at last some mids who will work back deep into defense be accountable  and have the work rate  to rebound. the other mids in the side who will be part of rotations some more than others are ellis, lambert, edwards, knights, houli and petterd.  of all their mids the one we cant match up on is bontompelli. mcintosh is a good fit size wise but i dont think he has the  onball know how .besides we rob peter to pay for what.

fwds - ideally i would like to have a quick agile third tall type to play but we dont. also thought about hampson mainly to give maric a chop out and keep structure when griffiths goes on ball.
i settled for gordon to do the  morris role and i bought in knights/petterd to replace deledio. its the best i could come up with without throwing kids in the deepend.hopefully martin cotchin edwards rotate thru there all game.
the lack of quality and goalkicking power remains a big problem.

anyway just some of my thoughts its not ideal and some may say just plain stupid thats okay by me its just my opinion.