Author Topic: Changes for the Lions next week?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Changes for the Lions next week?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 11:16:22 PM »
Houli has been pretty good this year BT .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:21 AM »
In the Mix - Round 4

Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
12 April 2017

RICHMOND

After one match sidelined with concussion, Ben Griffiths is likely to return against the Brisbane Lions and replace Todd Elton, who had nine possessions and three marks against West Coast in round three.

If Griffiths does not pass a final test, the Tigers also have the option of selecting tall forward Mabior Chol.

An opening might finally have presented for in-form midfielder Anthony Miles, who has been in strong VFL form (21 possessions, 13 contested, at the weekend). Midfielder Nick Vlastuin suffered a broken nose and concussion against the Eagles and Miles will be an ideal replacement if Vlastuin is not cleared to play this week.

Connor Menadue, Oleg Markov and Nathan Drummond are available in the VFL but have not done enough to force their way in, while Steven Morris played his second game back from a knee reconstruction at the weekend and was very good.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-11/in-the-mix-round-four

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
On the 11am news, they had Dimma saying Griffiths was likely to miss this week as well due to concussion. That may change with 2-3 days to go but right now he's not 100% right to play. On the other hand, Vlastuin will be okay to play.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
A second week out with the same concussion....interesting.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »

Why?

Not trying to be a smart you know what but why interesting

Not surprising when you think about his history
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
How do you rate him as a defender Mat?
I know he gets plenty of kicks (a lot from kicking it to himself when kicking in from a point) but how does he go defending an opponent in your opinion?

Do you think Markov could do his job as a defender and with more upside?

I just think with what we have seen from George, Bulter, Rioli and Short with their tackling pressure we could do better at that than Houli. We are a different team now with that sort of pressure, let's get even better by replacing the likes of Houli. Our backline with Ellis and Houli is imo far to weak. Do you agree with that?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

Why?

Exactly WP, it's his history. Dimma said the reason why is that Griffiths has had 4 concussions in the past 5 years. That's why we are being cautious with him. He won't play until he is 100% right.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Big note I don't understand how you can rate Elton's game as "okay without being great" yet be the biggest Griff hater on this forum (yes he's a dud I'm not here to argue that). How can a game that was pretty much comparable to Griffiths (minus a lot of metres gained, some score involvements and somewhat passable back up rucking) suddenly garner praise from you?
I just think he competed well for a 5th gamer.
I've seen enough of Griffiths to never want to see him again.
I'd just like to see players like Elton and Lennon get a block of games in a row to be able to make a decent call on them. Wouldn't you or would you just prefer to see Griff bump his head more??

We are a much different side this year and players like Griff don't deserve to be there. He has had more than enough chances and if he keeps finishing games on the bench he isn't helping anyone including himself. 

It's time to look for someone else who can potentially become more consistent in that roll. Elton will never be a superstar but from the very little I've seen of him at AFL level, I think he deserves the chance.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »

Why?

Exactly WP, it's his history. Dimma said the reason why is that Griffiths has had 4 concussions in the past 5 years. That's why we are being cautious with him. He won't play until he is 100% right.

If it's taking him at least a fortnight to recover from a concussion then maybe it's time he started considering his options...and maybe that's just what he's doing.....  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

Why?

If it's taking him at least a fortnight to recover from a concussion then maybe it's time he started considering his options...and maybe that's just what he's doing.....  :shh
GRIFFITHS 'REALLY POSITIVE'

RICHMOND has dismissed any doubts over utility Ben Griffiths' long-term future as he continues his recovery from another concussion.

Griffiths missed the Tigers' clash with West Coast on Saturday after suffering another head knock against Collingwood in Round 2 and is "doubtful" to travel to Brisbane this weekend as the club takes a cautious approach.

The 200cm big man has sustained concussions in four of the past five seasons but coach Damien Hardwick said Griffiths was remaining positive.

"Medical staff have done all the diligent tests," Hardwick said.

"Ben himself is really positive about where he’s at. From our point of view it’s just a concern when a player gets a concussion. I think as you know the AFL handles that as well as anyone in the world really. So we’ll be very cautious with that but from our point of view he’s fine."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia/news-story/6a95eac2a0c5e55c4289830988c89b19

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
How do you rate him as a defender Mat?
I know he gets plenty of kicks (a lot from kicking it to himself when kicking in from a point) but how does he go defending an opponent in your opinion?

Do you think Markov could do his job as a defender and with more upside?

I just think with what we have seen from George, Bulter, Rioli and Short with their tackling pressure we could do better at that than Houli. We are a different team now with that sort of pressure, let's get even better by replacing the likes of Houli. Our backline with Ellis and Houli is imo far to weak. Do you agree with that?

I thought Bachar was a little rusty in round 1 but getting better by the week . Kicked a goal in his past 2 games - what more do you want . Not like Mark Lecras or Fasolo have kicked 10 goals on him either.
I like Markov too , he will get his chance soon enough , wont be at Houlis expense though .
Unleash the tornado

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
For a guy who had an interrupted pre season, Houli has been terrific last 2 weeks
👍👍

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
I watched Justin Smith from Brisbane last night on SBS and have a new perspective on concussion.  Poor bugger and really emotional stuff
Give Ben another week or month
His long term health is more important then whether we think he should play or not
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:44:48 PM by pmac21 »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
Big note I don't understand how you can rate Elton's game as "okay without being great" yet be the biggest Griff hater on this forum (yes he's a dud I'm not here to argue that). How can a game that was pretty much comparable to Griffiths (minus a lot of metres gained, some score involvements and somewhat passable back up rucking) suddenly garner praise from you?
I just think he competed well for a 5th gamer.
I've seen enough of Griffiths to never want to see him again.
I'd just like to see players like Elton and Lennon get a block of games in a row to be able to make a decent call on them. Wouldn't you or would you just prefer to see Griff bump his head more??

We are a much different side this year and players like Griff don't deserve to be there. He has had more than enough chances and if he keeps finishing games on the bench he isn't helping anyone including himself. 

It's time to look for someone else who can potentially become more consistent in that roll. Elton will never be a superstar but from the very little I've seen of him at AFL level, I think he deserves the chance.

Bumping head aside, I'm on the keep Elton in and Griff out bandwagon as well based on what we've both said essentially. However I'm not going to start praising his game as "ok". He needs to improve, a lot.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
Out:
Vlastuin (nose/concussion)
Prestia (knee/rest)

In:
Miles
Lloyd

Lloyd isn't soft, Miles certainly isn't. Brisbane tougher than they look.

And fwiw Grigg has been very serviceable from what I have seen at the last two games. Keep him in the side 100%.