Author Topic: Betts shares laugh with Stack after kicking brilliant snap goal (H-Sun)  (Read 2593 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Imagine thinking this a big deal/disappointing.

Get some perspective, just respect from one player to another. Anyone that’s played footy at any level knows that’s the sort of thing that goes on.

20 months ago we broke their club. Let the baby have his bottle.

Oh, and here’s a hint. If your thoughts align with Gary Lyons you probably need to have a rethink....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Terrible analogy :shh
why?
Different sports, different cultures. Individual sport too. You often see signs of respect like applause in tennis.

Football is different, always has been.

It's not a massive deal in the grand scheme of things but it's not a good look to be bro shaking and hugging opposition players when you're getting flogged.

Other players would not be afforded the same generous reaction Stack is getting  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Spurious analogy... tennis isn't footy , that young player doesn't have a bunch of team mates putting their bodies on the line in a contact sport and is only representing himself,... :shh

EDIT:AT beat me to it. :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Imagine thinking this a big deal/disappointing.

Get some perspective, just respect from one player to another. Anyone that’s played footy at any level knows that’s the sort of thing that goes on.

20 months ago we broke their club. Let the baby have his bottle.

Oh, and here’s a hint. If your thoughts align with Gary Lyons you probably need to have a rethink....

Nah mate, it honestly doesn't happen too often. After the game, yes... :shh
During? No, you literally don't see blokes giving each other high fives and hugging. A shared laugh and pat on the back or hand up off the deck, sure. Happens every week.

You won't see Stack do this again this year.... :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Ok.

Why is the alternative "snotting" Betts? Why couldn't he have a dirty look on his face as if to say "gee I'm peeed off he got that one".

Never said it was the only alternative, just giving an example of an alternative

Let's say Brandon Ellis was brilliantly run down by Betts in the defensive 50. Betts takes the free and kicks the goal.

What the stuff sort of reception do you think BElly or one of the other whipping boys would get if they decided to do the bro shake, give Betts a hug while having a poo eating grin on their face DESPITE by down by 5 goals.........?

:shh

First up, BEllis wouldn't do it ... he'd either still be on the ground or walking back to his position head bowed

And I'd be saying "no surprise, Eddie's too good for you BEllis"  :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
I loved it and thought it was fantastic.

Each to their own but I generally feel sorry for you if you have a problem with that.

Stack is a star and what he did was just good sportsmanship. If you want to give some lip you have got to be big enough to give credit after a goal like that.

Dougeytherichmondfan

I loved it and thought it was fantastic.

Each to their own but I generally feel sorry for you if you have a problem with that.

Stack is a star and what he did was just good sportsmanship. If you want to give some lip you have got to be big enough to give credit after a goal like that.
Exactly. Great character. Reminds me of why we love footy.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
He look like he was busting his gut to me.
Cornes said iho he would be pick 3 if you received did the drafts,.
If he keeps stepping up I don't have a problem.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
If Stacky high fives a brother when they do something brilliant but continues to play good, hard solid footy then I am ok with that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
In the meantime, let’s celebrate with Betts and Stack. Possibly, what mattered most was not their across-the-trenches clasp, but that they felt free to do it. At some level, the instinct always was there, but suppressed. Carlton favourite Ang Christou grew up idolising Collingwood great Peter Daicos. In 1992, they shared a ground at last. When Daicos at one end kicked one of his miracle goals, Christou at the other looked around, saw no-one was watching, and discreetly clenched a celebratory fist.

Christou played 10 more whole-hearted years for Carlton, and won a premiership, and no-one ever thought him in the least bit soft.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stacking-on-a-turn-20190614-p51xuv.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Elliott says Sydney Stack made a blue by “celebrating” with Eddie Betts after the Adelaide star kicked a goal of the year contender on Thursday night.

He says it was a bad look, given the game had not finished.

“Sydney Stack should have waited until the game was over,” the 3AW Drive host said.

“His timing was terrible.

“Four minutes later? Absolutely, shake your opponent’s hand and say well done, great goal, see you next time.

“While the game is still on? No way.”

He spoke with Jimmy Bartel about the matter.

The 3AW Football expert said the football world “took itself a little too seriously” sometimes and he had no problem with it.

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-elliott-wasnt-a-fan-of-sydney-stacks-embrace-with-eddie-betts/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
And from the Syd himself:

--------------------------------------

But after flying home to WA for the bye week, Stack told 7 News he was just “amazed” by Betts’ goal, as he is one of his favourite players.

“Always give sportsmanship to the opposition. You’ve gotta respect them, and I respect Eddie a lot,” Stack said.

“The game was pretty much already over. Eddie’s one of my favourites - I’d shake his hand any day. I’m still in disbelief that I’m playing among legends like Eddie.

“He’s one of my favourite players. It was just a special moment to play on him, I guess, and when he kicked that goal I was just amazed.”

Stack also revealed what he was telling Betts earlier in the quarter when he smothered a shot on goal by the Crows forward.

“I was just getting stuck into Eddie, just playing my role I guess, being physical,” he said.

“I smothered the footy and then I asked him, ‘where’s your pocket, show me your pocket!’”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-richmonds-sydney-stack-responds-after-some-criticism-of-embrace-of-eddie-betts/news-story/df0caf43bf4b5a4c1783e05e2e771c02

Stack also said in the interview that Betts keeps in touch to encourage him.