Author Topic: Betts shares laugh with Stack after kicking brilliant snap goal (H-Sun)  (Read 2595 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Garry Lyon was on Foxsports last night apparently criticising Stack for this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie Betts shares laugh with Sydney Stack after kicking brilliant snap goal against Richmond

Tim Michell,
Herald Sun
June 14, 2019

Eddie Betts has revealed what he said to Richmond young gun Sydney Stack as they shared a high-five after his stunning last quarter snap on Thursday night.

The mercurial Adelaide small forward produced a moment of sheer brilliance from the ‘Eddie Betts pocket’, gathering possession before sprinting away from Tigers defender Nathan Broad and snapping truly to put the Crows 35 points ahead.

He was mobbed by teammates Rory Sloane and Josh Jenkins before spotting Stack, who was one of Richmond’s best in a 33-point defeat.

Betts pointed at Stack before they high-fived, the young Tiger grinning broadly as he appreciated Betts’ goal.

Betts explained the exchange post-match.

“Stack is a great young player but he keeps pushing you,” he said on 3AW.

“Sydney kept saying all game ‘no special goals tonight brother’.

“When I got it I said to him ‘told ya brother’.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/eddie-betts-shares-laugh-with-sydney-stack-after-kicking-brilliant-snap-goal-against-richmond/news-story/49f6178c1de6c9ab6a6dfae127bad55b

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Lyon's right - there's a time and a place and during the game ain't either.... :thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline PremiershipClock

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Lyon is an ignorant man

He doesn't understand this generation isn't like the one he played against

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
The whole thing needs to be put into context.
Did anyone see Betts interview after the game?
He said Stack has been sledging him the whole game that he won’t kick a goal, Betts then pulls one out of his arss late in the game, initiates the contact with Stack who basically said you got me well done.
Absolutely nothing but good sportsmanship in it.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The whole thing needs to be put into context.
Did anyone see Betts interview after the game?
He said Stack has been sledging him the whole game that he won’t kick a goal, Betts then pulls one out of his arss late in the game, initiates the contact with Stack who basically said you got me well done.
Absolutely nothing but good sportsmanship in it.
This. Media making something out of nothing yet again....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
You don't high five and hug an opponent straight after they kick a goal regardless of what genertion you are or what was said in the lead up - it's not AFLX or the stuffing Ted Whitten Legends game .... :thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
You don't high five and hug an opponent straight after they kick a goal regardless of what genertion you are or what was said in the lead up - it's not AFLX or the stuffing Ted Whitten Legends game .... :thumbsdown
Why not? If you are Stack and you have no fear and throw your body into contests, what does it mean if you show true sportsmanship and congratulate your opponent? As long as he goes in hard at the next contest it means SFA.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Cannot believe people are in flap over this.

The game was done, over.

Thought it was great.

A champion  being acknowledge by the newbie who could end up being a champion. It was about respect

What would  people prefer? Stack cracking it and going up snotting Betts and getting 6 weeks?

Times have changed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:12:51 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has backed young gun Sydney Stack for celebrating Eddie Betts’ miraculous goal in Adelaide’s win over the Tigers on Thursday night.

Debate has erupted in footy circles since Stack and Betts high-fived and hugged after the stunning goal in the final term.

Hardwick admitted he didn’t see the exchange live as he was watching the game from the interchange bench but when told of the banter he was supportive of the 19-year-old.

"Good goals are good goals. We like to celebrate don’t we?" he said.

A tongue-in-cheek Hardwick then said: "They’re not throwing Sydney out of the stadium for that are they? For celebrating (with) the opposition. That’s allowed?

"Just in case the AFL doesn’t want us congratulating the other players. Just saying, just be careful.

"It’s good."

Melbourne champion Garry Lyon wasn’t a fan.

"I’m not condemning Sydney Stack, he’s a young kid. Philosophically, I don’t like that and I don’t apologise for that," he said on SEN.

"It’s a great debate. It’s modern-day footy versus old-school thoughts."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/sydney-stack-lauds-eddie-betts-goal-but-draws-critique-from-garry-lyon-ng-b881230523z

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Agree WP.
I liked it. Stack isn’t backwards in his intent and looks like he gives a bit of verbal as well but can back it up with his fierce aggression at the ball.

In the end of the game he acknowledged a great of the game and was even able to sledge him during the game, which we saw with that excellent smother only minutes earlier.

In context it was actually an act of great respect for a champ of the game that was able to pull out another one of his miracle goals.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Cannot people are in flap over this.

The game was done, over.

Thought it was great.

A champion  being acknowledge by the newbie who could end up being a champion. It was about respect

What would  people prefer? Stack cracking it and going up snotting Betts and getting 6 weeks?

Times have changed.

Ok.

Why is the alternative "snotting" Betts? Why couldn't he have a dirty look on his face as if to say "gee I'm peeed off he got that one".

Let's say Brandon Ellis was brilliantly run down by Betts in the defensive 50. Betts takes the free and kicks the goal.

What the stuff sort of reception do you think BElly or one of the other whipping boys would get if they decided to do the bro shake, give Betts a hug while having a poo eating grin on their face DESPITE by down by 5 goals.........?

:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

Recall at least one poster praising Stack in this thread also getting stuck into Cotchin and others for having a laugh with opposition players after a loss.... :shh :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland

You and Gary Lyon the only two on the planet that share this opinion.
That tells you something

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Recall at least one poster praising Stack in this thread also getting stuck into Cotchin and others for having a laugh with opposition players after a loss.... :shh :shh
So when a young tennis player applauds Roger Federer for passing him with a brilliant shot, do you think that’s bad too?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Terrible analogy :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"