Author Topic: Rookie #4: Cam Howat  (Read 5878 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rookie #4: Cam Howat
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »
Not that I would have done it but the only explanation is Cam is insurance as tiga said. He'll only play if a senior midfielder suffers a long-term injury like Cogs did. Someone you can chuck in while still allowing the more talented yet unready cubs to develop at their own pace. I guess the question that could be asked is why choose Cam over say a untried Neville.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
Not that I would have done it but the only explanation is Cam is insurance as tiga said. He'll only play if a senior midfielder suffers a long-term injury like Cogs did. Someone you can chuck in while still allowing the more talented yet unready cubs to develop at their own pace. I guess the question that could be asked is why choose Cam over say a untried Neville.

Reckon you may have answered your own question there MT. You know what you're getting with Howat, give him a job and you know what you'll get at the top level. Neville. ??? Who knows? If the coaching staff are looking for insurance then Howat is the safe choice.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »

Reckon you may have answered your own question there MT. You know what you're getting with Howat, give him a job and you know what you'll get at the top level. Neville. ??? Who knows? If the coaching staff are looking for insurance then Howat is the safe choice.
Yeah I probably have RROFO although the "you know what you're getting" bit could apply to both for and against Howat being re-rookied  :-\.

richmondrules

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 07:20:40 PM »
Yeah I probably have RROFO although the "you know what you're getting" bit could apply to both for and against Howat being re-rookied  :-\.

Personally I wouldn't have re-rookied Howat. I like the boy because of his endevour but emotion shouldn't be involved in decisions like this. I don't believe the selection of Howat would have been through emotion. We have proved we will make the tough decisions. I can only think that our horror run with injuries may have shaken the coaching staff a bit. Cartledge is another possible example. I also don't know what happened at training between the ND and PSD. Perhaps the other possibles were truly pathetic. (You'd be in a better position than me to answer that question). I wasn't there so I don't know. I was surprised Neville trained with Melbourne. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »

Personally I wouldn't have re-rookied Howat. I like the boy because of his endevour but emotion shouldn't be involved in decisions like this. I don't believe the selection of Howat would have been through emotion. We have proved we will make the tough decisions. I can only think that our horror run with injuries may have shaken the coaching staff a bit. Cartledge is another possible example. I also don't know what happened at training between the ND and PSD. Perhaps the other possibles were truly pathetic. (You'd be in a better position than me to answer that question). I wasn't there so I don't know. I was surprised Neville trained with Melbourne. 
I never saw Cartledge at the training sessions I went too but I can understand the Club overlooking Richards, Fanning and Sullivan based on what I said. In fact Fanning was probably the best out of the ruckmen training with us but that's not saying much. I have a suspicion that age had a lot to do with it a far as a ready-made ruckman. Cartledge was 22 whereas Richards (24) and Fanning (23) were ineligible to be drafted as normal rookies.

The fact we took three 22 year olds as rookies makes me think you're right RROFO about the coaching staff being spooked by injuries. You can't blame them btw given all the broken bones key players have suffered over the past 3 years :help. There's no guarantee Simmo or Cogs will play next year (fingers crossed they play all 22) and we're one Thursty injury away from being totally vunerable in defence. With Richmond it seems if there's one thing we hope doesn't happen then you can pretty much guarantee it will :P. We're building depth with so many cubs coming through but that depth won't be evident until at least 2-3 years time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
Still perplexed  :P

:help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »